Making double reservations?

Alice121078

Mouseketeer
I know this might be a silly question, but this is our first time going to WDW. We are taking a 2 year-old, and we’d like to make back-up dinner reservations at our resort in case he’s too tired to eat elsewhere. Can I make two dinner reservations on the same night in the system, and cancel one the day before?
I can’t imagine why I couldn’t, but I don’t want to be surprised when our window opens this Friday.
TIA!

You might be able to manage to do so in the system, but I think it is extremely rude to tie up multiple reservations per day knowing you will only use one. Imagine all the people who are trying to get a reservation for a place you double booked. Pretty selfish, in my opinion. Plus, how will you know the day before (in order to cancel) if he is going to be too tired the next day?

I am not trying to come off mean, but perhaps this is one side of it you hadn’t thought of.

I know this might be a silly question, but this is our first time going to WDW. We are taking a 2 year-old, and we’d like to make back-up dinner reservations at our resort in case he’s too tired to eat elsewhere. Can I make two dinner reservations on the same night in the system, and cancel one the day before?
I can’t imagine why I couldn’t, but I don’t want to be surprised when our window opens this Friday.
TIA!

You can if you separate them with enough time in between, however how is this plan going to be helpful? You cannot possible know the day before what your child will be like the following night. Personally, I would make an ADR based on when the child is normally used to dining. Or if you are truly concerned, do not make ADR's in advance. fins something open that night. CS is always an option for tired families, or if you cannot find an ADR in your area that you want. Frankly, I am no fan of hedging your bets when it comes to multiple ADR's in the system for a variety of reasons, but the most problematic logistically is when you forget to cancel the extra. You will be charged a no show fee.

You can do it. Just make sure they are about 1 1/2 hours apart. People will always have opinions on this one way or another, but you asked if you could do it, and yes you can. Things definitely change in a trip anyway, so people cancel at the last minute. We did several times for our long trip because towards the end of the trip we were over all the food, so canceled or changed quite a few reservations.

TIA!
True, people do it all the time. Especially during free dining; if you don't get it, it probably won't be there. I have a couple of double reservations myself because:
1. I'm waiting for the park hours
2. I'm waiting to see if they're going to offer EMM or DAH during my visit
3. I'm waiting to see how the opening of Star Wars GE affects the parks overall (watching for Disneyland Ca., not WDW)
It would really be so simple if Disney would announce hours, events and other information that would assist in planning, but they don't.
Also, remember, you have to cancel by midnight the day before or run the risk of a $10.00 per person fee for a last minute cancellation. I was able one time to do a day of cancellation for BOG dinner because there was a line of people trying to get a reservation, and because I currently had both a 3 and 5 year old having a meltdown, and we needed to take a break. We had done the BBB that morning, it was hot, the costumes were itching and scratchy, and they had just had enough.
I always look for last minute cancellations. That's how we were able to get hard sought after ADRs last visit; we had several split reservations and it allowed us to eat together. I was so happy with the day of and day before reservations I was able to find that I thought I wouldn't pre book again. I have this time, but mostly pre park opening ADRs, which I may drop when the hours are finally announced.

ETA: Do what works for you and your family. People still try to walk up reserve, so these help there, too. You're not necessarily keeping someone from getting a reservation, you're helping someone who has no idea they have to reserve 180 days out the opportunity to dine while at the park. When I cancelled the BOG dinner, there was a girl who had come up the second or third time that day to see if there were any cancellations (I overheard her inquiry). She was so excited when I stepped forward and offered the reservation I was wanting to cancel. I'm sure she felt pixie dusted.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter