Mama Melrose - Very Dissapointed!!!

Jazzerfan

Mouseketeer
By far my worst meal on my recent trip! It's a real shame since I've eaten there before and had a pleasant experience. First we were celebrating, nothing - not even an acknowledgement. Secondly the hostess first wanted to sit us near where the wait staff get the drinks. I requested we sit somewhere else and although we were accommodated, it took forever for a wait staff member to come and take our order. Our reservation was a Monday night and at 4:30pm. The restaurant wasn't even that crowded.

My husband and I shared a mushroom flatbread for our appetizer and it wasn't cooked enough on top and somewhat burnt on the bottom. My cesaer salad was so overdressed that the lettuce was wilted. My husband asked for no tomatoes and he got the tomatoes - what?

We then both had chicken entrees which was probably the WORST chicken ever. It was tough, chewy and had a weird texture. Again, tried to get our waitress, but she was no where to be found and when she did come to our table, she left our bill before we were even done. We didn't complain once, just paid and left. Very disappointing....and then some....Will certainly eat somewhere else next time. :mad::(

OP sorry about the bad meal. Regarding the celebration that is always hit or miss at any restaurant. . If you can take the time to let Disney know of your disappointment .
They can't fix things without feedback.Also note any great meals customer service you had had during your trip.

I hate it when you can find the wait staff when you need them. Not checking if everything is ok and just dropping off the bill is not acceptable. Why did you not complain? At the very least they should have fixed what was wrong, and made you new food.

As far as the celebration not be acknowledged goes, you can't count on it happening.

This faux-Italian restaurant has never been very good. It does business because of it's location, same as Tony's Town Square at Magic Kingdom. Granted, it's better than Tony's but that's not saying all that much.

I only dined once there and once was enough. The wait was ridiculous to be seated, despite the advance reservation, and the place was a loud, chaotic mad-house with no organization from the wait staff. The fried calamari appetizer was disgustingly over-seasoned and ruined as well.

Honestly, you wound't think it, but in their own limited ways, both the Sci-fi Dine-in and the '50s Prime Time Cafe are both solid choices for some basic eatin' that while it doesn't reinvent the wheel, if you want a relatively cheap sit-down meal that's in Hollywood Studios, they are both better choices than Mama's. And the theming of both makes them superior to Mama's as well.

Even the buffet at Hollywood and Vine is probably better, to be honest, though I can only say that I have enjoyed the breakfast there, so I can't say for sure how the lunch/dinner is.

But, for a better meal, there's always Hollywood Brown Derby and then all the Epcot and Epcot resort eateries are just a boat ride away and also better choices than Mama's, too. And Epcot actually has decent Italian if that's what your interested in, as well.

This faux-Italian restaurant has never been very good. It does business because of it's location, same as Tony's Town Square at Magic Kingdom. Granted, it's better than Tony's but that's not saying all that much.

I only dined once there and once was enough. The wait was ridiculous to be seated, despite the advance reservation, and the place was a loud, chaotic mad-house with no organization from the wait staff. The fried calamari appetizer was disgustingly over-seasoned and ruined as well.

My meal this past October was very good. I had one of the chicken/pasta dishes. It was very tasty, and the portion enormous. The restaurant wasn't full so it wasn't loud at all. Though it did take a while for the waiter to show up the first time. Sounds like it is very much a hit or miss place.

By far my worst meal on my recent trip! It's a real shame since I've eaten there before and had a pleasant experience. First we were celebrating, nothing - not even an acknowledgement. Secondly the hostess first wanted to sit us near where the wait staff get the drinks. I requested we sit somewhere else and although we were accommodated, it took forever for a wait staff member to come and take our order. Our reservation was a Monday night and at 4:30pm. The restaurant wasn't even that crowded.

My husband and I shared a mushroom flatbread for our appetizer and it wasn't cooked enough on top and somewhat burnt on the bottom. My cesaer salad was so overdressed that the lettuce was wilted. My husband asked for no tomatoes and he got the tomatoes - what?

We then both had chicken entrees which was probably the WORST chicken ever. It was tough, chewy and had a weird texture. Again, tried to get our waitress, but she was no where to be found and when she did come to our table, she left our bill before we were even done. We didn't complain once, just paid and left. Very disappointing....and then some....Will certainly eat somewhere else next time. :mad::(
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I hate being seated in bad locations in restaurants when there are better options available. That's one of my pet peeves. Once we showed up early for our 7am Chef Mickey's ressie- we were the first guests there & greeted everyone with big smiles. They walked us through the empty restaurant to seat us directly next to the open door to the kitchen. I was like, really? I asked for us to be moved, but that experience was disappointing.

I am glad I have never been. I hear good and bad about the place. It is a shame as you had a good experience prior.

We just had dinner there last night & felt the same. It was our 1st visit. We did like the mushroom flatbread, but the chicken & Penne was just average and for $20 I wasn't impressed. My husband's meal was okay, he had the charred steak. Our waiter broke a wine glass at the table next to us so he was all flustered & had to replace all of their meals, therefore leaving us high & dry. We probably won't be back.

Sorry to hear about your dining experience at MM. Although it wasn't the best meal on our last trip I thought it was pretty good. Service was also very good. Had the Sustainable Fish and it was both tasty and fresh. DH had the chicken parm and he did finish without any complaints so I'll assume he liked it. We choose it for our meal on the F Dining package. If it hadn't been for that we may have not even tried it as we haven't eaten there in years.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. My family and I have only had very positive experiences there with the Fantasmic package, it's become one of our must-dos. Possibly just an off day?

We dined there a couple weeks ago and our food was good the experience wasn't....We placed our drink order, ordered salads, and our food at the same time. The waiter was going to bring our salads first. 4 minutes later all of our meals arrived before our salads and drinks...the waiter was upset..overall not sure we would go back..we have now struck out both times we ate at MM

We ate here last Monday for lunch, first time in about 5 or 6 years. We enjoyed it; certainly not the best meal we've had in Disney by far but not bad in any way. We happened to have an excellent server - Nancy maybe?? DH had the chicken parm and absolutely loved it. I had the chicken and penne and while I've had better it was fine, just needed a bit of salt :) We feel Il Mulino is the best Italian on property and MM can't hold a candle to it, but our experiences at MM have been positive. I do agree that any place, some more than others, can be hit or miss.

Had a terrible meal there and never returned. There are enough excellent alternative restaurants in WDW. No point in wasting money.

MM seems to be so hit and miss. We had a real good time with excellent food and service when we went but there are an awful lot of really bad experiences floating around.

Please complain when things are that bad, otherwise they will just keep doing it. Ask to have inedible things taken off the check.

How disappointing! On our last trip to WDW (dec 2015), MM was our family's favorite meal of the trip. Not sure if the food was that good, or we were all just that hungry! It was on our must do list for our upcoming trip. I hope that we don't experience a miss this time! I will be so disappointed!

We haven't eaten there in years and were quite surprised it was still open (as we thought with all the changes that it was closed). We recently read on the boards that it was still open and still offered the Fantasmic! Package. We were going to select for the upcoming January trip. Guess we should rethink that ressie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!