Man Found Camping On Discovery Island, Arrested and Banned

explain why they waited 20 years if it was so peanuts????? I am not the only one who has noted for years the liability and Disney should tear it down. Ok, I have said enough.
I've always heard that it was a dangerous job to do because of the way it was built and that it was so rotted that it was going to collapse and there was no real way to get to it. Not sure how true that is, but that's what I've read.

I always thought that AK was built around an old something or another, and I had it in my head that it was Discovery Island. What am I thinking about? Has anyone here ever been to the island when it was open? I vaguely remember it being a thing back when I first started going to Disney but there was never enough time or money for extras back in the day. What was it?....other than a hobo resort lol.

At least it hasn’t turned into Hooverville for Disney employees.

At least it hasn’t turned into Hooverville for Disney employees.
:joker: LOL true. Bad stuff happens to people when they try to take short cuts through those areas...only results in our men having to go to a "political meeting" while the womenfolk read to each other. Sorry I went straight to Gone With The Wind on that one:P.

I always thought that AK was built around an old something or another, and I had it in my head that it was Discovery Island. What am I thinking about? Has anyone here ever been to the island when it was open? I vaguely remember it being a thing back when I first started going to Disney but there was never enough time or money for extras back in the day. What was it?....other than a hobo resort lol.

I went to Discovery Island once. I think about a year before AK opened (I think my '98 trip). It was the one thing my Mom (an avid Disney fan herself), had not done since an early visit to MK she made after it opened. I recall us thinking it was very serene, and the aviary walk through was very cool, but there wasn't a whole lot to do. I think we were out there maybe 90 minutes tops.

Dang, I'm glad I read this. I have been wanting to try that place out. Did they shut down because of this? Now I'm freaked out.
It was closed for a few months while they implemented the changes that were recommended from the CDC. The ameba is present in fresh water, the real issue is the ameba blooms when the water is warm and has organic material for the amoeba to feed on.
no. its still open, they made changes. it was a freak accident.

its extremely popular.
It is currently shutdown due to Executive Order 121 from the NC Governor due to COVID-19.

It was not a freak accident but a situation where mistakes were made that lead to increased presence of the amoeba in the water which lead to an increased risk. The center was treating the water back in 2016 but even with filtration, chlorine, and Ultraviolet light treatment it was not enough due to the high organic levels in the water that the ameba feed on. It was also too cloudy for the UV treatment.

*Note: In the 10 years from 2009 to 2018, 34 infections were reported in the U.S. Of those cases, 30 people were infected by recreational water, 3 people were infected after performing nasal irrigation using contaminated tap water, and 1 person was infected by contaminated tap water used on a backyard slip-n-slide. (Source: CDC)

Dave

It was closed for a few months while they implemented the changes that were recommended from the CDC. The ameba is present in fresh water, the real issue is the ameba blooms when the water is warm and has organic material for the amoeba to feed on.

It is currently shutdown due to Executive Order 121 from the NC Governor due to COVID-19.

It was not a freak accident but a situation where mistakes were made that lead to increased presence of the amoeba in the water which lead to an increased risk. The center was treating the water back in 2016 but even with filtration, chlorine, and Ultraviolet light treatment it was not enough due to the high organic levels in the water that the ameba feed on. It was also too cloudy for the UV treatment.

*Note: In the 10 years from 2009 to 2018, 34 infections were reported in the U.S. Of those cases, 30 people were infected by recreational water, 3 people were infected after performing nasal irrigation using contaminated tap water, and 1 person was infected by contaminated tap water used on a backyard slip-n-slide. (Source: CDC)

Dave
the point is, yes, its fixed.

My bad, apparently i need to get real technical with how i answer the question, i should have been more clear. yeah its closed "now" for Covid, but it didnt close down for good because of what happened.

I actually have heard the trails are still open, could be wrong though.

Talk about a let down. It's called "Discovery Island". I guess if you're looking to discover what getting banned feels like then head on out there. Worst Disney World attraction I've ever experienced. Will not be back even if they let me!

I didn't see that you ever got an answer. If so you can disregard.
I've been on the island a couple times and I'm really reaching into my memory because it wasn't all that. Discovery Island was in the lake across from the Fort Wilderness marina. Miles and miles from AK. Actually, it was really almost directly across from River Country. It was designed like an animal sanctuary exhibit. There were tortoises and an aviary, and a couple other animal exhibits I can't remember now. It had trails you could walk that seemed like cross between a pirate adventure and a jungle exhibit. There was even what was supposed to be a wrecked sailing ship on the beach. In reality it was kind of a letdown. Too much walking to nowhere and not really enough animals and birds to make the extra cost worth wile. I believe the upkeep got to be too expensive as well as there were problems with the birds. Wild buzzards took over most of the island and were a nuisance as well as local raptors taking out some of the birds. Disney apparently got in trouble for the way they were treating the buzzards they caught. Anyway, no longer a need for the island once AK was built.

explain why they waited 20 years if it was so peanuts????? I am not the only one who has noted for years the liability and Disney should tear it down. Ok, I have said enough.

Cause they hadn't developed the closer to the parks pieces yet?

Now to your point, they did scrape RC about 18 months after the urban explorer stuff happened.

Last edited:
I remember RC and my kids loved it. I was always surprised that when RC closed, the freshwater pool they had wasn't used by FW. It was a nice pool with a crazy slide (as I recall).

Yes, very rare. I think water activities that don't possibly blast water up into our sinus hold the least risk.

I've always hated letting water blast up my nose anyway, lol, avoiding it at all costs. We still take the occasional swim in fresh lakes without concern, or wade in lakeside. Doing that kind of stuff there's almost zero chance. Just stay away when counts are dangerously high.

RC was crazy......went there my first visit in my early 20's, the lack of safety protocols would not pass muster today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter