manual vs power chair

JRM

Earning My Ears
Hi! We're planning our first trip to WDW with our two children with disabilities. One of our kids uses a wheelchair, and we're trying to determine whether we should take his power chair or his manual chair. The power chair would be a lot easier for me (no pushing!). However, I'm wondering whether power chairs are treated like manual chairs by Disney or like ECVs. In other words, are there attractions that my son WOULD be able to access while staying in his manual chair that he would NOT be able to access in his power chair? He's still small enough for us to lift and transfer, but I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

It really depends on the power wheelchair. If it is no bigger than a standard wheelchair then you should have no problem with rides that allow a wheelchair on them. You will still have to transfer him on rides that require it. On Pirates of the Carribbean you will have to transfer him to a manual wheelchair which Disney will provide. This is the only ride a power wheelchair cannot go through. Peter Pan ride cannot be stopped for a transfer.

How old is your child with the power chair and what time of year are you going? We never took my son's power chair to WDW because it was to crowded and I was concerned about him being able to manuver around crowds. At Pirates of the Carribean we still used WDW chair because the chair needs to fold up into the boat and it was easier to use their's instead of taking apart the cushions and unloading the supply bag on the back of our chair. Have fun!!

A lot depends on your method of transportation.

If you are driving, and have a lift-equipped van I would say take the power chair. If you are flying with a non-stop flight I would consider taking the power chair. If you are flying and will require a change of aircraft I would have serious thoughts AGAINST taking the power chair.

Thanks everybody! My son is nine, and his chair is relatively small and lightweight (for a power chair!). We'll be driving, so bringing it wouldn't be a problem. It seems like Pirates would be the only problem attraction, but since we'll be going in August, I'll have to think about the crowd issue. Thanks again!

We just got bcak from 12 days at WDW. We chickened out on taking my DD's power wheelchair. We were on a direct flight from Minneapolis to Orlando, but decided against it because we are afraid of damage on the plane. It would have been nice for her to have the power chair at some of the parks, but we were also concerned about her fatigue level since she would have to be vigilant all the time while driving (and I was concerned about my fatigue level and getting around in crowds if I had to stand next to her and drive the chair when she decided she was too tired). MK was so busy each time we went that using a power wheelchair would be a challenge. AK can get quite congested too because the pathways are relativly narrow. We did see one very little girl who could not have been more than 4 or 5 driving her power wheelchair around MGM Studio. She didn't seem to have much problem.

Some of the rides with accessible cars have rather tight manouvering to get in. The Great Movie Ride is one where DD's narrow adult wheelchair has to be pulled on just right.
Another I can think of offhand is Goofy's Barnstormer where you board on one side of the track and get off on the other. With a manual chair, they just roll/lift it over the tracks. I don't know how they manage a power wheelchair.

Here's a link to the official Disney page about Mainstream lines. It includes information about rides that require a transfer.

There were a few rides where we had problems getting DD's manual wheelchair onto the wheelchair car. Or specifically, we had problems getting DD's manual wheelchair with her overstuffed backpack hanging on back of it on the wheelchair car LOL.
Here are the approximate dimensions of her wheelchair:
width 25 inches
length with bag 50 inches
length without bag 43.5 inches

The length measurements are from the very back sticking out part to the end of her shoes sticking out over her foot plates.
There was extra room in the width, but not much in the length.
(Her bag was not so big as it sounds, but her new manual chair has a bar along the back that keeps the bag from fitting snugly against the back of the chair).
With the backpack on, the car door (behind the wheelchair) would not close; once, we took that backpack off, the wheelchair fit. Specific cars I can think of that we had problems with were:
Imagination
Buzz Lightyear
Aladdin
Triceraptop Spin
Great Movie Ride
We never got on Pooh this trip, but I know the car is about the same size as Buzz.
On all those rides, a part of the car folds down to make a small ramp, you drive up the ramp and into a wheelchair parking spot. Then the ramp (or another part) closes behind the chair to make a door that keeps the chair secure.

We also rode on the wheelchair car on:
Great Movie Ride (a tight turn, but did fit)
Living With the Land
the ride in Mexico
Small World (pretty much same boat as Mexico)
WDW Railroad in MK
Kilimanjari Safari

We didn't go on the Jungle Cruise (so we haven't tried out the wheelchair car there). We also didn't go on Ellen's Energy Adventure this trip, but we have on past trips without a problem.

One queue that might be difficult with a power wheelchair is Living Seas; it's wind-y with a lot of curves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter