(Many) Bike Questions

Can_Dannn

Mouseketeer
Evening!
I have a lot of bike questions. We have a trip planned for August - 5 night at OKW. We want to bring foldable bikes with us. Here’s my question (list), HA:
  1. can we bring bikes into our room instead of leaving them outside at night
  2. Can we ride on roads
  3. Can we ride INSIDE Disney springs
  4. Can we bring them on the bus, skyliner (if they are folded)
  5. Anything required to use them around properties?

I would not advise riding on roads within Disney property. They lack anything that would be called traffic calming, and no one is looking for you.

There are several passages in the DVC Public Offering Statement indicating that bicycles may not be stored on the Condominium property “except in such areas, if any, designated for this purpose.”

Disney springs, buses and skyliner are a definite no. I don’t know if Disney has the authority to ban them from roadways but the property wasn’t designed with bicycle traffic in mind.

There are several passages in the DVC Public Offering Statement indicating that bicycles may not be stored on the Condominium property “except in such areas, if any, designated for this purpose.”

Below is chat I found from someone who asked about bikes

Welcome to Disney! My name is Sherri. How may I help you today?

you: I have an odd question.

Sherri: Hey there! Hi there! Ho there, Mouseketeer!

Sherri: My favorite! Ask away!

you: Are you allowed to bring your own bicycle with you to ride around the resorts? Say I'm staying at Port Orleans French Quarter. Could I take my bicycle and ride the trail from the French Quarter to Riveside?

Sherri: Absolutely! You will need to secure your bikes in your room, though.

IMO, it shouldn't be a problem to put them in your room. The problem would be the narrow roads with all the busses and people trying to read signs and not expecting you in the road. I'm sure they aren't allowed in DS, but that's because I've never seen one and it's way too crowded to be riding a bike there.

Instead of asking here on the forum, you can go to the Disney chat feature and ask them. Then you have the answers you need right form the source.

Below is chat I found from someone who asked about bikes

Old Key West rents bicycles, so riding them around resort property shouldn't be an issue. But you should not leave them locked-up outside the building or any hallway / landing, unless it's an actual bicycle rack (which I don't think OKW has.) They either need to be in the room or stowed away in a vehicle.

we are buying foldable bikes that go into bags, so we might get away with them on busses if they are in bags. The foldable strollers that people have take up more room than these bags.
Thanks for reporting back. By bringing on buses, do you mean Magical Express?

Very sad that a property such as WDW which should be a standard bearer for biking is considered too dangerous to bike around. In Europe and UK biking is pushed at all levels including with commercial businesses like this.

Last edited:
Disney Springs does not allow you to ride them there of course. But I do believe I saw the Bookish Princess ride a bike TO Disney Springs from OKW and lock it at a bike rack there before she went it. Now this could have been several years ago, but check and see if Disney Springs has a bike rack in which to lock your bikes at.

Very sad that a property such as WDW which should be a standard bearer for biking is considered too dangerous to bike around. In Europe and UK biking is pushed at all levels including with commercial businesses like this.
USA is not Europe. It is very late in the game to change the infrastructure.

Also, big liability issues. Even where there are bike lanes, there is bus traffic. A few years ago a young child was killed riding a bike in Ft. Wilderness. I'm afraid if they added bike lanes through the World there would be many more of these tragedies.

People don't drive well when they are on vacation, unfamiliar with roads, distracted by excited kids. Heck, they don't even walk well in the parks. You can ride bikes in every resort, you just can't commute with them.

As a serious road cyclist, a couple responses.

WDW roads are definitely not designed for bikes. But that's no different than the vast majority of roads in the USA. What is a bit different is both the volume of traffic and also the high percentage of people who have no idea where they're going. Anyone who has driven a car around MCO is perfectly aware that people are renting cars who really shouldn't be on the road, but there you are. Regardless, the truth is that although the US isn't terribly bike friendly, the vast vast majority of people are actually careful around bikes, and honestly I see cyclists quite often riding around WDW. Mostly cast members going to work I think, but a few more recreational cyclists as well, and occasional large group rides.

With that said, if you're not the type of cyclist who regularly rides on the roads with cars, I definitely wouldn't start at WDW. It takes a certain amount of awareness and equipment (lights, maybe radar) to be reasonably safe, and it's better to start somewhere else.

OTOH, I've seen a couple of large group rides passing through WDW. People definitely do ride road bikes in certain places, and if you look at the Strava global heatmap you can actually see that it looks like cyclists use Western Way and Winter Garden Roseland Rd quite a bit, and you can see how to meander around a few back roads of WDW and get out of there. I've never taken a road bike to WDW but one of the impacts of COVID is that we're likely driving if we go in August, so conceivably I could get from OKW to E Buena Vista Dr to Winter Garden Roseland, skirt around WDW property and wind up on Avalon Rd and eventually Deen Still Rd for a couple hour ride.

But if that doesn't sound like fun to you, I wouldn't take a bike outside a resort :)

Bruce

I would really love to come and stay at OKW during the cooler months and take a day just for biking there and around SSR and maybe to Disney Springs if they still have bike racks to lock them up at. I would just rent a bike from Disney for the day. This is such a huge thing on Hilton Head and I loved it there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter