Marathon Weekend 2018

Just booked my hotel for the trip. Today was the first day the reservation system online worked (2018 prices were loaded). Staying at PO-FQ. Haven't stayed there before.

Kicking myself that I didn't rent a DVC studio in a timely fashion--there is zero availability now. Hope a discounted room rate comes through to drop the price of the hotel.

ADR day is fast approaching and I'm still not sure what parks I plan to do on what days and where to eat. This uncertainty is NOT like me. LOL

I'm pretty sure I want to do a Tiffins ROL package and equally sure of Victoria and Alberts on marathon night for a celebratory dinner. Otherwise I just have a list of restaurants I think I want to eat, but no clue when. I'm debating a Brown Derby Fantasmic package since we've not seen that show in several years. I want Via Napoli likely on Friday night before the half. Really wanting to try Homecomin and Paddlefish at Disney Springs but not sure when to fit those in. Kona for breakfast one morning. Was thinking of trying out The Wave for lunch one day. And then have a few others I'm debating on. I have more restaurant desires than I have time. :D

Those are the two things I know I want to do as well. V&A for dinner the day after the marathon and Tiffins TOL package at some point. But we're going to be there a whole week and I have no idea where else we're going to want to eat. I guess I need to figure out what days we're going to be in which park first. It just seems so far away to have to figure all that out. I think we'll probably do Epcot after the marathon but I don't want to make any reservations since I have no idea how I'll actually end up feeling. I've had a couple halfs where I've been a bit nauseous after the race (rare thankfully) but I don't know if that will be more likely after a full. I'm hoping two of us can get into biergarten without a reservation if I feel up to it and if not, just eat small snacky things around the world.

As far as memories with my dad, we went every couple years when I was a kid. I remember one year when I got a blister and my poor dad had to carry me the whole way out of the park. It's a fond memory for me but I'm sure not as happy for my dad. A more recent memory that we're both fond of is doing the jingle jungle 5k together.

Just booked my hotel for the trip. Today was the first day the reservation system online worked (2018 prices were loaded). Staying at PO-FQ. Haven't stayed there before.

Kicking myself that I didn't rent a DVC studio in a timely fashion--there is zero availability now. Hope a discounted room rate comes through to drop the price of the hotel.

I was going to book our room-only reservation today, but am having second thoughts (not about Goofy, just resort choice!) I was really set on YC because I love the decor in the renovated rooms and really enjoy the ability to walk to both DHS and Epcot. But then I started considering WL. Might just book WL, so that we have something reserved and because it's the only non-discounted price I'm willing to tolerate for this trip, and then see what pops up in the fall.

In our experience, the POFQ discounts have not been the best, but we've taken advantage of discounts at WL and AKL standard view, which can be close to the POFQ price! For our upcoming trip in August, I think it was a $39 difference/night between POFQ and AKL standard view.

Forgot to answer the question! Although that would take a long time - my dad is the original Disney fan in our family and DL was our original home park. We have a great photo of him introducing me to Minnie Mouse at DL when I was two years old - big event!! When we moved to the east coast, we started visiting WDW and he's still a huge fan of Epcot Center. It would be difficult to choose just one favorite memory. :)

While we continue to wait for OKW or Poly on the waitlist we booked Coronado Springs just in case.

Training - I do whatever @DopeyBadger tells me. :) I did Hal Higdon last time, and I liked his plan as well.

Sunday Funday - Our first Disney trip was in 1996 at Christmas. Favorite Dad memory was him diving in the aquarium and waving at us and us being the cool kids whose dad was scuba diving. :P We tried to recreate it on the last trip (my brother, SIL, and I all dove in the tank), unfortunately I infected my dad with the flu I had during the marathon, and he couldn't dive with us. :(

So, it's funny that you mention this ... I went to set-up calendar alerts for ADRs for both Disneyland Half AND WDW Marathon Weekend (what's up, overlapping ADR days!) - and I just realized that the day I can make ADRs for Marathon Weekend is the same day as I have a damn tri. :crazy2: And of course, transition opens at 5:30 a.m. when I can start making ADRs at 5 ... so, I'm going to have to prioritize and make some real quick, set-up transition real quick and then make the rest while I'm waiting for the dumb tri to start.

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE I REGISTERED FOR THIS TRI???? Grrrr.

On my list this time around are:
Monsieur Paul
Kimono's
Yak & Yeti
STK for brunch
California Grill
Maybe Yachtsman Steakhouse
Maybe the Luau

And I'm trying to plan a private dining experience as well, and that's going along pretty smoothly but I'd sure like to have it locked down before ADR day.

Reminds me when I was frantically trying to make FP+ reservations on the phone in my car on the morning before a half-marathon. UGH.

Those are the two things I know I want to do as well. V&A for dinner the day after the marathon and Tiffins TOL package at some point. But we're going to be there a whole week and I have no idea where else we're going to want to eat. I guess I need to figure out what days we're going to be in which park first. It just seems so far away to have to figure all that out. I think we'll probably do Epcot after the marathon but I don't want to make any reservations since I have no idea how I'll actually end up feeling. I've had a couple halfs where I've been a bit nauseous after the race (rare thankfully) but I don't know if that will be more likely after a full. I'm hoping two of us can get into biergarten without a reservation if I feel up to it and if not, just eat small snacky things around the world.

It's the whole what park/what day thing that is throwing me off. I'm going to just have to make my best educated guess and do it and then switch things around after if necessary.

I don't know how you all can make decisions for ADRs so far in advance, I don't even have the slightest idea when or what I want to eat for dinner tonight so forget 6 months from now.

This is actually one thing my husband and I really didn't like about the Disney cruise. All other cruises, we choose My Time and just show up each evening when we feel like eating. It was annoying to be pinned down to a specific time and plan our days around it.

I don't know how you all can make decisions for ADRs so far in advance, I don't even have the slightest idea when or what I want to eat for dinner tonight so forget 6 months from now.

This is actually one thing my husband and I really didn't like about the Disney cruise. All other cruises, we choose My Time and just show up each evening when we feel like eating. It was annoying to be pinned down to a specific time and plan our days around it.

I know WHERE I want to eat, but I don't know WHAT I want to eat, if that makes sense?

I know which restaurants I want to go to, but I've been staring at all the menus, already, for 2 months, and I still don't know what I want from there. You can keep the menu in my face until the server says "so what would you like this afternoon?" and I still won't know what I want. Eventually, I just recite words off the menu, and hope I didn't actually order the konbu jellyfish with natto sauce.

Just booked my hotel for the trip. Today was the first day the reservation system online worked (2018 prices were loaded).

Just booked my hotel for the trip online too. Figured best to have the room now and then call for the discounts when they happen. I get paranoid I won't have a room, especially because as it stands now I am travelling solo!

ADR day is fast approaching and I'm still not sure what parks I plan to do on what days and where to eat. This uncertainty is NOT like me. LOL

I'm pretty sure I want to do a Tiffins ROL package and equally sure of Victoria and Alberts on marathon night for a celebratory dinner. Otherwise I just have a list of restaurants I think I want to eat, but no clue when. I'm debating a Brown Derby Fantasmic package since we've not seen that show in several years. I want Via Napoli likely on Friday night before the half. Really wanting to try Homecomin and Paddlefish at Disney Springs but not sure when to fit those in. Kona for breakfast one morning. Was thinking of trying out The Wave for lunch one day. And then have a few others I'm debating on. I have more restaurant desires than I have time. :D

Oh I love planning ADRs! My biggest problem is I don't the exact days of our trip. If DH ends up going to the International Builder's Show for work again (which starts the Tuesday after the marathon), we will stay longer and I will do some solo days in the park. If he doesn't go, we will just be there for a long weekend with our friends and maybe do 1 or 2 park days. On my short list is Tiffins and Be Our Guest. If staying longer I'll probably add Hollywood Brown Derby and Via Napoli. I guess we need to start figuring that stuff out soon!

Have you considered a travel agent with group rates? They one I use has POFQ or Riverside for $187 a night. Don't know how that compares to what you got but if you want to know the agency I use just PM me. I've never stayed at POFQ either but I stayed at Riverside for the Dark Side weekend and really liked it. Thinking about switching to there for Wine & Dine.

Just a friendly reminder for everyone flying out of Disney on Southwest. If you're leaving sometime after Marathon Day, January 8 or later, Southwest Airlines will open their flights tomorrow, Thursday, June 22nd.

I'm still not sure what time, though. Sometime between 4:00 am and 9:00 am.
Ive been checking this week to see if they opened sooner but no luck. I think Disney has brainwashed me into thinking I need to be online as soon as the dates are released to get my flight.

WHOOT WHOOT vacation package day is finally here. We wanted the yacht club/ Beach club so we booked a room only back in February. I switched it yesterday to a package with dining. Now the only things left are flights, ADRs and of course that whole training thing LOL.

Ive been checking this week to see if they opened sooner but no luck. I think Disney has brainwashed me into thinking I need to be online as soon as the dates are released to get my flight.

I was continually checking to see if my flights in to Disney had gotten any cheaper. Sure enough, a couple days ago, they went down by $8. It might not be much, but that's one more funnel cake I can buy at Disneyworld!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!