Marathon Weekend 2018

Has anyone out there been placed by Disney in a non-last corral by entering only an anticipated finish time -- without submitting a proof of time? Just curious.
Yes, for every half/full over the past two years. But I don't select an estimated finish time that requires PoT. It's only if you select a time that requires PoT and you fail to submit PoT that lands you in the last corral. Folks who select finish times that do not require PoT are corralled according to the time they selected.

Yes, for every half/full over the past two years. But I don't select an estimated finish time that requires PoT. It's only if you select a time that requires PoT and you fail to submit PoT that lands you in the last corral. Folks who select finish times that do not require PoT are corralled according to the time they selected.
If we select a time that does not require a PoT, are we better off not submitting a PoT if it does not clearly prove that we would complete the race in that time?

We are running as a group for the half and some have a PoT that would translate to a 3:00 finish time using conversion calculators, but we know that we can run it faster with another 3 months of training so submitted 2:45.

Should we leave the PoT field blank or submit the PoT to be sure that we are not in the last corral? Thoughts?

General character question for you veterans - after seeing @Ariel484 and her detailed race reports, I am dressing as vacation Genie for either the marathon or half and hope to get a pic side-by-side with the big guy... It seems like he's out more during the marathon... What are the odds he's out this year? And is he usually out for the half as well?

Should we leave the PoT field blank or submit the PoT to be sure that we are not in the last corral? Thoughts?
There is no way to know for sure. I know that a while back runDisney used to put everyone who submitted a PoT in the front of the corral range and then put everyone who claimed they could run it in a certain time behind them but it sounds like with the lazy estimated time = X that if you submit a PoT to support something within that range you will be placed behind anyone who didn't submit a proof of time. For example it seems if you submit an estimated finish of 2:45 with a PoT closer to 3:00 you will be placed behind anyone who didn't submit a PoT. runDisney seems to change the way they do things each year though so it's possible that you would be in a better place if you submitted a PoT.

@Keels and I discussed this over at The Running Thread - 2017 which may have a better explanation. I also plan to email Track Shack this week for all the good their answer will do me but my advice would be go with your gut or with whatever worst case scenario is best.

General character question for you veterans - after seeing @Ariel484 and her detailed race reports, I am dressing as vacation Genie for either the marathon or half and hope to get a pic side-by-side with the big guy... It seems like he's out more during the marathon... What are the odds he's out this year? And is he usually out for the half as well?
Seems like they have been using him a lot lately - he was out at Wine & Dine, Princess and during the marathon. I don't know what the means for his chances in January, either they keep using him or they decide to mix it up...really helpful, right? :)

The locations I remember seeing him were in World Showcase/Morocco (Wine & Dine 10K), World Showplace (Wine & Dine Half), ESPN club (Princess 10K) and near the gold course (marathon)...in case that helps you to look for him. Good luck!!

-------------------

I'm gonna barge in and answer the most-wanted character question: Steamboat Willie.

If we select a time that does not require a PoT, are we better off not submitting a PoT if it does not clearly prove that we would complete the race in that time?

We are running as a group for the half and some have a PoT that would translate to a 3:00 finish time using conversion calculators, but we know that we can run it faster with another 3 months of training so submitted 2:45.

From everything I've read if your estimate does not require proof of time then don't submit it, they don't look at it I guess but have no true idea. Versus a few years ago people said always submit no matter what.

In 2016 he was out at the half (in Epcot) and full (Boardwalk area) so there's good odds he shows up. He was at Wine & Dine 2016 too.

Last edited:
There is no way to know for sure. I know that a while back runDisney used to put everyone who submitted a PoT in the front of the corral range and then put everyone who claimed they could run it in a certain time behind them but it sounds like with the lazy estimated time = X that if you submit a PoT to support something within that range you will be placed behind anyone who didn't submit a proof of time. For example it seems if you submit an estimated finish of 2:45 with a PoT closer to 3:00 you will be placed behind anyone who didn't submit a PoT. runDisney seems to change the way they do things each year though so it's possible that you would be in a better place if you submitted a PoT.

@Keels and I discussed this over at The Running Thread - 2017 which may have a better explanation. I also plan to email Track Shack this week for all the good their answer will do me but my advice would be go with your gut or with whatever worst case scenario is best.

I crowd-sourced this info on the RunDisneyRun group on Facebook ... so best I can gather is those that put in 2:45 WITH a Proof of Time (within 2-3 minutes MAX) were slotted in the first =2:45 corral (Corral J). Anyone who put in 2:45 with NO Proof of Time was slotted in the second =2:45 corral (Corral K). After that, PoT above 2:45 were put in subsequent corrals, starting with = | > 2:45 in Corral L based on corresponding corral time.

cc: @Curiouser&curiouser!

I've been told by a very credible source that Track Shack/rD does not look at PoT for any times entered in the ranges that don't require it. So entering it isn't going to help or hurt*. I stopped bothering with it because I run about a 2:45:00 half and haven't run anything I could use for PoT in a while - I've been placed in a corral that corresponds to what I selected as my finish time every time.

(*Here's my personal thought though... I feel like entering something when it's not required opens the door to possible mistakes in the sorting. What if whatever algorithm they use to sort out finish times that require PoT vs. those that don't somehow gets "tripped" when one enters PoT for a time that doesn't require it and mistakenly throws that runner into the last corral? Just seems safer to me to skip it and stick to only what's required. )

Can I please request some opinions on what to do for Proof of Time?

We ran our POT 10K for the 1/2 marathon yesterday and we had a VERY rough race. Even though we usually average much faster we ended up slower than the same 10K last year. When we used Last years POT, we got in corral N (Less than or equal to 3:05), so only O&P were behind us.

Is it better to put in last years POT and get similar corral? Or should we leave off POT and put in something closer to where we actually think we we be (Closer to the 2:45)? Does one give us better odds of the higher corral?

Thanks!

If your PoT is closer to 3:00 than 2:45, PERSONALLY, I would select 2:45 that does not require proof of time and hope for the best.

I crowd-sourced this info on the RunDisneyRun group on Facebook ... so best I can gather is those that put in 2:45 WITH a Proof of Time (within 2-3 minutes MAX) were slotted in the first =2:45 corral (Corral J). Anyone who put in 2:45 with NO Proof of Time was slotted in the second =2:45 corral (Corral K). After that, PoT above 2:45 were put in subsequent corrals, starting with = | > 2:45 in Corral L based on corresponding corral time.

cc: @Curiouser&curiouser!
Sorry to be the outlier - I've been in the first corral for my time range with no PoT, as have several others in my running group! But I've also been in the last of the corrals for my finish time... first or last made no difference in my race experience, though I know lots of folks feel differently.

Sorry to be the outlier - I've been in the first corral for my time range with no PoT, as have several others in my running group! But I've also been in the last of the corrals for my finish time... first or last made no difference in my race experience, though I know lots of folks feel differently.

Like I said, it was mostly just crowd-sourcing to find a trend. The overwhelming response from people on FB this year was that they ended up in K without entering a PoT and selecting 2:45. :confused3

Like I said, it was mostly just crowd-sourcing to find a trend. The overwhelming response from people on FB this year was that they ended up in K without entering a PoT and selecting 2:45. :confused3
Was that for Marathon Weekend (corral K, I mean)? I did wind up there with no PoT for Dopey, but a friend of mine was 5 or so bib numbers below me and was in J, also with no PoT. I had a HIGH number for the giant F corral** at SWDS, again with no PoT. I frankly think they just toss all the 2:45/5:30s into a randomizer and pull 1000-ish per corral, lol!

**I'll be interested to see what they do for W&D, and then in January - I wonder if the giant corral is the new thing, vs. multiple corrals with the same finish time? It was weird, but functional. And maybe cuts back on the people getting anxious about not being in the first 2:45 corral.

Was that for Marathon Weekend (corral K, I mean)? I did wind up there with no PoT for Dopey, but a friend of mine was 5 or so bib numbers below me and was in J, also with no PoT. I had a HIGH number for the giant F corral** at SWDS, again with no PoT. I frankly think they just toss all the 2:45/5:30s into a randomizer and pull 1000-ish per corral, lol!

**I'll be interested to see what they do for W&D, and then in January - I wonder if the giant corral is the new thing, vs. multiple corrals with the same finish time? It was weird, but functional. And maybe cuts back on the people getting anxious about not being in the first 2:45 corral.

Yup! I just asked for WDW Marathon Weekend respondents, since it had the largest number of participants to pull from. There were a couple of people that were in J with no PoT and L with no PoT, but the majority was in K with no PoT.

Did they do waves at DS? That definitely helps the larger corrals for sure.

Okay then. Newer question then, sort of. The wording says 'if you select 2 hours and 45 minutes or less, you must enter proof of time'. So I took that to mean that 2:50 is the first one that doesn't require it. Does that seem correct?

Did they do waves at DS? That definitely helps the larger corrals for sure.
They did! I thought I was at the far back of F, but when my wave went (I want to say I was in the 5th wave to go from F), I looked back and there was at least one more F wave left to start. We had 7,000 in that one corral, which seemed BONKERS when corral info was released, but they did manage it well.

yay, i joined the sitting wounded....a-freaking-gain!!!!!

stupid Huntsville, Texas 3 levels of hell: heat, humidity and hills.....and freaking bad angled roads that just gave me painful plantar fasciitis. Bad enough thay i cant bear weight on my heel and had to get a steroid shot.

anyone tell me how long it took for you to be able to run on this injury? days? weeks? doc seems to think a couple of days but i'm not that confident because it hurts...maybe he thinks the steroids will kick in soon?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter