Marathon Weekend 2018

Princess changed the timing for corrals to =2:50, so I imagine that's what the shift in 2018 for Marathon Weekend will be as well. I wanna say the drop down changed for wording for races last year ...

I can only see for Marathon timing for Dopey - the first option without (corral placement not guaranteed until blah blah blah) is 5:30. What is it for half marathon?

Sorry to be the outlier - I've been in the first corral for my time range with no PoT, as have several others in my running group! But I've also been in the last of the corrals for my finish time... first or last made no difference in my race experience, though I know lots of folks feel differently.

I am not so concerned about the first/last corral for expected finish time as I am if I should include or leave out the POT that might bump me back a few corrals from my expected finish time- I know we improved from last year, we just weren't able to PROVE it from yesterday's 10K!

That's my take on it, too. :thumbsup2

Thanks! I think I am going to go with 2:50 with no Proof of time (since that puts us back around 3:05).

yay, i joined the sitting wounded....a-freaking-gain!!!!!

stupid Huntsville, Texas 3 levels of hell: heat, humidity and hills.....and freaking bad angled roads that just gave me painful plantar fasciitis. Bad enough thay i cant bear weight on my heel and had to get a steroid shot.

anyone tell me how long it took for you to be able to run on this injury? days? weeks? doc seems to think a couple of days but i'm not that confident because it hurts...maybe he thinks the steroids will kick in soon?

Bah - PF is the WORST. My husband has it and it flares up in certain situations, so that really sucks.

The first thing that helped him was changing shoes - he went from Sauconys to Nike Frees and he's really seen a difference in it. Secondly, he spends time during the day "massaging" the affected area with either a baseball or tennis ball, or a frozen steel bottle he keeps in the freezer. He works at home, so it's easy just to work on his feet while he's working. You can find a bunch of YouTube videos to give you an idea of what to do!

Okay then. Newer question then, sort of. The wording says 'if you select 2 hours and 45 minutes or less, you must enter proof of time'. So I took that to mean that 2:50 is the first one that doesn't require it. Does that seem correct?
It does, but the drop down option for 2:45 does not say that the selection would not be valid until a proof of time is submitted. The one above that is the last that says this. Not sure which to believe, so I selected 2:50 for the group.

stupid Huntsville, Texas 3 levels of hell: heat, humidity and hills.....and freaking bad angled roads that just gave me painful plantar fasciitis. Bad enough thay i cant bear weight on my heel and had to get a steroid shot.

anyone tell me how long it took for you to be able to run on this injury? days? weeks? doc seems to think a couple of days but i'm not that confident because it hurts...maybe he thinks the steroids will kick in soon?

I had a bad case of PF earlier this year and it sucked. That said, I think I just took a few days fully off running. I massaged it and rolled it with a frozen bottle. I also got one of those special socks and slept with that on for awhile (I called it my night torture sock). I also did stretches first thing in the morning before I got out of bed. I bought inserts for all my shoes as well. I really think it was cheap flip flops and loafers at work that started the problem. Since doing all those things, it has mostly resolved and doesn't cause me any problems currently.

I have had this twice, once per foot, about 5 years apart. My only advice is to avoid running on it if the pain forces you to chance your running form to avoid putting pressure on the impacted heel. This is what led to my broken foot in 2015. PF is bad, but running through it can be worse.

Recovery time seems to be all over the place. Took months for me, but mostly because I am an idiot and run through these things which makes it worse.

I have had this twice, once per foot, about 5 years apart. My only advice is to avoid running on it if the pain forces you to chance your running form to avoid putting pressure on the impacted heel. This is what led to my broken foot in 2015. PF is bad, but running through it can be worse.

Recovery time seems to be all over the place. Took months for me, but mostly because I am an idiot and run through these things which makes it worse.

It's all fun-and-games until you break your foot. :sad1::sad:

I feel your pain. Literally! My PF is flaring up right now, too. Not sure what's causing my issue, but I think I'm moving to the elliptical for this week's runs and will reevaluate early next week. So far I've been fortunate. It's not bad enough to impact my walking and I'm hoping to keep it that way. Good luck and I'm following along for self treatment advice!

I developed it last Fall (2016) in my left foot. Initially I did take a week off, didn't matter for me, cut back mileage didn't matter, I tried superfeet green inserts which didn't help, finally the best was using a massager (electric) multiple times a day on it & then like @ZellyB I would stretch/massage it before getting out of bed as that was the worst time since it was all stiff (or even when getting up from sitting). I tried the frozen water bottle but didn't seem to get deep enough to help. It was still a little bit sore at Darkside in April but not nearly as terrible & not constant at all, so mostly gone. It hasn't flared up all summer (except once when I vacuumed the pool barefoot) but I'm scared that when I go back to winter boots it might or run in the cold, things that affected it last winter. Also, I never go barefoot. So, yeah I feel for you too like many others here! It's crazy how many people it affects. Good luck healing.

Last edited:

Yes, Smart tip on the making sure not to change running form from it for sure! Man, breaking your foot :( Did you try to avoid putting your heal down then and stay on your toes more? I would catch myself trying to walk like that sometimes and be like no that will just cause problems probably elsewhere & force myself to walk normal.

Yes, Smart tip on the making sure not to change running form from it for sure! Man, breaking your foot :( Did you try to avoid putting your heal down then and stay on your toes more? I would catch myself trying to walk like that sometimes and be like no that will just cause problems probably elsewhere & force myself to walk normal.
Yep - switched shoes and went to a forefoot landing without building up to it enough. That led to me landing unevenly, favoring the injured foot more, so the other foot was put under too much stress and I ended up with stress fractures which I also ignored - then the bone broke altogether.

Yeah, I am hard headed. :upsidedow

sorry for another question about the Plantar Fasciitis ... for those that had it, was it hard to walk when it first happened? I have to walk with one foot on my toes and it still hurts then. I don't understand how people have "run through it" because walking is painful and I can't imagine even trying to run or jog - I'm so depressed. I was just getting to 8 min/miles for 8 miles again and was getting faster and returning to form and now I screw things up even worse. I wish I was good at something.

sorry for another question about the Plantar Fasciitis ... for those that had it, was it hard to walk when it first happened? I have to walk with one foot on my toes and it still hurts then. I don't understand how people have "run through it" because walking is painful and I can't imagine even trying to run or jog - I'm so depressed. I was just getting to 8 min/miles for 8 miles again and was getting faster and returning to form and now I screw things up even worse. I wish I was good at something.

You're being WAY too hard on yourself! Injuries like this are your body's way of telling you to pace yourself. I know this is a setback you weren't counting on ... but if you take care of it now, it's a lot easier to deal with than a fracture, a break or something that involves surgery and serious downtime.

@BuckeyeBama's injury sounds a lot like yours, and he ended up seriously hurting himself and had to sit out Dopey because of it.

I'm no doctor here, but I have gone through Plantar Fasciitis. I would say don't walk on your toes. Put your heel on the floor as much as you possibly can. The plantar fascia needs to stretch out to relieve the pain. However, my case was apparently not as bad as yours because I never went to a doctor.

When I had it, I took a week or two off from running. I constantly stretched my foot and the whole chain of muscles and tendons from hip to toes by doing wall or countertop leans/pushups with my feet flat on the floor. I rolled it on a golf ball many times a day. The smaller ball seemed to get up into the sweet spot better than anything else. I also walked as much as possible. It was worse, as some have said, first thing in the morning or after I had been sitting for a while as it seemed to tighten up. I also tried one of those compression sleeves at night to keep my ankle at a "walking" angle so that it did not tighten up so much at night. Then when I started running again, I could do a warm-up walk, then run on it slowly, and after the first half mile or so of every run, it stretched out enough that it quit hurting and I could go on and on. I would try to stretch it out after the run also and not sit for any long periods at a time afterwards. It takes a long time to heal, and it still comes and goes lightly for me, but when I feel a tightening or an ache, I start my routine and don't let it get so bad.

Also, like others said, don't run if it makes you change your stride because you could hurt yourself badly. Healing vibes sent your way!

Yep - switched shoes and went to a forefoot landing without building up to it enough. That led to me landing unevenly, favoring the injured foot more, so the other foot was put under too much stress and I ended up with stress fractures which I also ignored - then the bone broke altogether.

Yeah, I am hard headed. :upsidedow
That just sounds like all sorts of painfulness that I can't even imagine!

Yes it hurt to walk, like a nail going up my heal, especially getting up after sleeping, but I had to force myself to walk normal just like @Disney at Heart just advised, walk normal to stretch it. I have no idea what caused mine (boots maybe) as it wasn't just a all of sudden it was there, it was gradually developing and I didn't pick up on it till it was pretty bad. I do remember I ran with it for Wine & Dine last year but wasn't fully aware of what it was and the day after the half was the worst trying to walk, I couldn't put any weight on it when I first got up at all, that's when I was like oh something is really wrong here. There's different stretches you can do along with massaging, it's such a common injury a quick google will give you stretching help. Don't beat yourself up, Plantar happens to lots (non runners as well, like nurses on their feet all day) & it does heal & just be tuned to flareups after healing to stay on top of.

When I got it the first time the symptoms started while on a vacation in WDW. The pain was horrible. I was taking 6 Advil at a time to be able to walk (note - called my doctor and this was his recommendation, and it worked). So, yes, it was very difficult to put my foot flat on the floor. That injury was the worst of the 2, and it took 18 months for it to clear up completely. The second time I had PF it never got as painful, but that actually turned out to be a bad thing for me because I could ignore it and ended up with a worse injury.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. PF is so frustrating. I had it two years ago. I had been having ITBS issues, and was changing my gait to compensate which my ortho thought led to the start of my PF. She suggested I try to move from heel striking to mid foot. So, in my normal fashion, I overdid it with her advice. She said start working toward mid foot strike. I was determined I was just going to do it from now on. I went home and ran 4 miles, making sure my mid foot was what struck each time. I could barely walk by the end. I had made it so much worse slamming my midfoot down. I tore the tendon. I had to wear a walking boot for 3-4 weeks. I also wore the torture sock @ZellyB spoke of at night. Additionally as I said, my problems really started somewhere else, so I worked on a lot of rolling of my calf to loosen that up. I was at PT weekly for both Graston massage and for them to help me address the imbalances that led to my troubles. I had been using my calf muscles to stabilize myself when I was having ITB problems and they were way overworked. It was important to not just address the PF but what led to it in the first place. I still stretch my feet and calves out before I get out of bed. I roll my calves, bottom of my foot and quads/hamstrings. I do ankle range of motion exercises before every run. I also wear shoes with different levels of drop. I find if I only wear one type of shoe my feet and calves get weaker, changing it up keeps them guessing. I have 4mm drops for 3-6 mile runs 10mm for anything over 6.

I suggest taking it easy on yourself. Try to force this issue could very well lead to a worse problem like @BuckeyeBama and others have said. If you can't walk without pain, I suggest seeing a doctor to be sure of the severity of the problem. You might need a boot for a time to take the pressure off and let you foot relax enough to loosen up. In my case, there was no way it was going to get better until I stopped bearing weight on it.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. It's so frustrating when you get an injury especially when you've been cruising along, but you really do have time to get this healed up and be back in form in short order. It was definitely hard to walk at first and very painful and it was incredibly tempting to walk on my toes. I had to force myself to walk with a normal foot action. As @Disney at Heart said, once I got past the initial severe pain, I found that I could run again as long as I started out easy and let the fascia stretch out. I worked hard on being faithful about the stretches and wearing the inserts and it improved relatively quickly. I'd say it did take a few months before I felt like it was fully resolved (although there are still times I can feel it a bit), but I could run and train normally. Also, as @BuckeyeBama said, I hammered the Aleve. My doc had me taking 1000 mg which seemed like soooo much, but she assured me that for limited periods it was safe and that to really address these types of issues, high doses of anti-inflammatories are necessary. I do think that made a big difference as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter