Marathon Weekend 2018

I'm planning to come home late Sunday after completing Dopey. I'll head over to my house for a shower and possibly even a nap, but I was also going to walk around for a little while around my neighborhood before making the 4.5 hour drive home.

Even though I'm off-property, I planned on hitting the parks at least once, if not twice over the weekend. I planned on being good and only hitting my fave attractions and walking a little to stretch my legs out. Since I have an AP, I won't feel pressured to get my $'s worth in the parks. lol. Would most recommend the best options for me to hit the parks would be the days of the 5k and 10k or maybe 5k and Half (rest day in-between)?

I'm planning to come home late Sunday after completing Dopey. I'll head over to my house for a shower and possibly even a nap, but I was also going to walk around for a little while around my neighborhood before making the 4.5 hour drive home.

Even though I'm off-property, I planned on hitting the parks at least once, if not twice over the weekend. I planned on being good and only hitting my fave attractions and walking a little to stretch my legs out. Since I have an AP, I won't feel pressured to get my $'s worth in the parks. lol. Would most recommend the best options for me to hit the parks would be the days of the 5k and 10k or maybe 5k and Half (rest day in-between)?
I would probably go after the 5K and 10K probably. I’ll be that crazy guy in the parks all the time though.

I’m curious how everyone manages the early wake up time for four days in a row. By morning 3 this weekend I wanted to not even do the half and I was thrilled this morning when I woke up and didn’t have to run a full.

You guys weren’t joking that the hardest part is the 4 early mornings. After 3 with two of those run at a speedy pace I was sooooo tired this morning.

I feel like I need to practice less running and more about power napping. ;)

I barely do parks in favor of pool time, so that helps.

I’m curious how everyone manages the early wake up time for four days in a row. By morning 3 this weekend I wanted to not even do the half and I was thrilled this morning when I woke up and didn’t have to run a full.

You guys weren’t joking that the hardest part is the 4 early mornings. After 3 with two of those run at a speedy pace I was sooooo tired this morning.

I feel like I need to practice less running and more about power napping. ;)

Im different when it comes to the sleep approach. The key for me was skipping the mid day naps, remaining very lightly active during the day, eating a big lunch and a light dinner and being off my feet by sunset. Immediately after I eat post race I do something to not "crash". Stretch, roll, swim, bowl, walk, check out a new resort, etc. The last thing I want to do was sleep. Now, after the marathon it's a different story. I know I should stay up and walk around but by that point, it's pure survival. If I saw 9pm the night before any of the races I was started to panic and I know if I take mid day naps it's going to throw my sleep pattern off.

That is definitely one of my reasons for not doing Dopey! I'm nervous about waking up that early for the marathon because I fly in on Saturday and will be on Mountain time aka my wake up call will feel like 1 am. Guys. I work until 1 am on a regular basis. That is going to hurt. Four days of that would be so rough!

ETA: QOTD: I 100% prefer the paper FPs. Back in the good old days, we used to be able to get 10-12 FPs per day (normally across all 4 parks). Now we're lucky to get 4 per day...and one is for something that does not need a FP. I'm sure that my views will change once I have kids and less interest in running back and forth across the parks, but the paper ones were awesome!

Last edited:
ETA: QOTD: I 100% prefer the paper FPs. Back in the good old days, we used to be able to get 10-12 FPs per day (normally across all 4 parks). Now we're lucky to get 4 per day...and one is for something that does not need a FP. I'm sure that my views will change once I have kids and less interest in running back and forth across the parks, but the paper ones were awesome!
I completely agree, except I won't be having children and have no reason to slow down. As a party of 1-2 fairly fit adults, we got amazing bang for our buck with paper FPs. now I'm far less inclined to spend more than a day or two at the parks because we spend too much time in line to hit headliners.

I like the technology of the FP+ and the planning, but boy do I miss being 8 years old and sprinting to the FP machines to get our coveted FP at rope drop, while my family caught up to me so we could ride standby. Oh the memories.

On another note - my test results came back today and I don't have mono! So whatever has been plaguing my extreme fatigue and sore throat the past month or so needs to leave for good. I also bought new sneaks this week and man oh man that first run on new sneaks is incredible. I've had really good average paces on my past few runs, which I'm happy about. Beginning back to back Dopey simulation this weekend. My biggest nerves are the waking up factor and the inevitable. I prefer to run in the cold and NYC has been pretty cold lately, so my biggest fear is extreme heat and/or random pains/fatigue etc.

Hope everyone is having lovely training runs! :)

Persistance pays off-Just wanted to share that I was eventaully able to get a FP for FOP!!! after numerous, daily checkings!!

OMG thanks for posting this - it reminded me to check again for a FOP fastpass, and I got one! I previously settled for a Navi Journey FP on my Animal Kingdom day, but I just now checked and was able to switch it to FOP. :flower3:

Hi all, newcomer first Marathon weekend coming up. Question on transportation are there buses from Shades of Green to the races or will we need to walk to the poly to catch them? Thanks

Hi all, newcomer first Marathon weekend coming up. Question on transportation are there buses from Shades of Green to the races or will we need to walk to the poly to catch them? Thanks
Yes Shades of Green shares busss usually with the Poly and GF.

Okay experts, I need some timing advice. How long would you factor the following to take, yes, I know there are no guarantees just looking for a few ball parks to go along with my own ideas:

Magic Express to POP (if it matters flight arrives at 11:40am)
Check-in at POP
POP to Expo
I've never stayed at POP, hence why I don't trust my estimates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter