SAFD (Oops, I mean Sundays are for Disney, for the acronymically challenged):

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic this weekend, so for this edition of Sundays are for Disney, give me some of your best Walt Disney World and runDisney memories. No limit on how many memories or how many times you post, we need something to sustain us for the next six weeks until registration details are announced.

A few of mine:
- The 2017 marathon, especially running down Main Street, USA and seeing my wife and daughter at the finish line.
- My first trip with my wife and two oldest daughters in 2012, especially when they referred to Mickey's Philharmagic as "fill up on magic." But also just introducing them to Disney World.
- Kicking off our 2014 trip with dinner at Ohana (first time), which was punctuated with Wishes!
- Seeing my youngest daughter meet Anna and Elsa.
- Watching IllumiNations for the first time; the day of the marathon, no less.
- The looks on my girls' faces when we did the Princess Fairy Tale Breakfast to kick off our first trip and they saw all the princesses up close.
- "Quiet" nights in Magic Kingdom after the fireworks - no waits on rides and great photo opps.

I'm sure I'll think of more as the week goes on...looking forward to reading all of yours! Have a good week, gang.

My first trip was always a highlight! My girlfriend (now my wife) and I spent about 17 hours at Magic Kingdom on December 23 one year. It was a "magical" experience despite the fact that it was both of our first times at Disney and we were both in our 30s! It's all a big blur, but we came with lots of food that her mom packed for us (her parents actually brought us down to Florida). Just seeing the castle from the Ferry ride, the main street! One thing that really got us excited was how many different types of experiences there were, from the Jungle Cruise to the coasters (we didn't get to ride 7DMT that day because we only got tickets the day before and didn't realize how far in advance you had to book your fastpasses beforehand!) and even the shows like Mickey's Philharmagic and the Tiki Room! Both of use were fresh out of our PhDs and were very much into a sociocultural analysis of the park.

On that trip, we went to Epcot on Christmas Day and it was also amazing, despite the 80's Mall feeling of some of the Pavillions in Future World.

We returned to WDW a couple of years later for our honeymoon and went to all four parks, loving the rope drop bird show at Animal Kingdom and the attention to detail (we're so looking forward to Pandora when we go back in January)!

That year, we were a little disappointed because my wife didn't see me when she trekked to Magic Kingdom for the Marathon. She was stuck behind tall people and so we missed a connection that day. Still, it was the beginning of a fun week (Honeymoon+Runnymoon) of theme parks and general physical exhaustion.

Lots of great memories of the parks but especially the fireworks, getting up early for the marathon and spending time having a blast with my wife!

That's what Disney is for me!

Bacon wrapped scallops.
Especially those at Racing's North Turn at Ponce Inlet!

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic this weekend, so for this edition of Sundays are for Disney, give me some of your best Walt Disney World and runDisney memories. No limit on how many memories or how many times you post, we need something to sustain us for the next six weeks until registration details are announced.

So many wonderful memories: family time, many firsts, special events, some surprises and much Disney magic.

-My first WDW trip and only trip with mama, sisters and husbands, and our children in 1990-2? Stayed off-site, but I was hooked.
-DH's first marathon weekend in 1994. Started going to WDW almost every marathon weekend after that (He's only missed about 3-4)
-DS and DIL's wedding at the wedding pavilion in 2011. (Rehearsal dinner at Napa Room at California Grill complete with MK fireworks was magic!)
-First Disney run in 2013 - TOT 10 miler
-Upgrade to Princess room at POR! Special delivery of a Mickey fruit basket, special delivery of chocolate covered strawberries, and other Disney magic over the years!
-Splash n' Dash, Half of a Half, and two trips to DL for DL and SuperHeroes weekends. Anniversary was during DL race weekend and we got many cupcakes!
-My first half through MK at Marathon weekend 2014; I started to cry when we entered through the side and I saw the Christmas tree and lost it when I rounded the corner to see the castle all lit up. Then got so overwhelmed by DH's sudden burst of speed and the crowds on Main Street that I didn't even remember running through the castle!
-First marathon in 2016, Grumpy in 2017 and running the unofficial AoA/Pop half, and Dopey in 2018
And of course, getting on Disboards and then meeting some of YOU!

SAFD:
Hmm ... this is tough, because while I'm big on overall nostalgia, I don't really get nostalgic about individual moments.

- Finishing the WDW 10K in 2016 ... I was wet and annoyed, but somehow that all magically melted away as I ran towards the finish line of my first 10K
- Watching the snow fall my first time at Be Our Guest (seriously, I was obsessed with that snow)
- Walking through a mostly dark Fantasyland an hour after the park closed (I'm obsessed with the parks at night ... everything is a thousand times more beautiful)

I'm sure I'll think of more, but these are the ones that pop into my head right now.

This park is only about two weeks older than I am.

Please stop making me feel old.
(Although I don't remember a WDW before Animal Kingdom because I didn't go until I was 13, and by then AK had been open for almost 2 years ... and I wouldn't even make it to AK until many years later)

One of my best runDisney memories is the marathon in 2010. I loved running through Epcot in the dark, listening to the background music, the roar of the gas torches, and the rhythmic slapping of thousands of feet. A very peaceful way to begin a marathon.

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic this weekend, so for this edition of Sundays are for Disney, give me some of your best Walt Disney World and runDisney memories.
I have so many precious memories of visiting WDW as a kid. I can still vividly remember the feeling of coming back to the room to see our stuffed animals watching TV, brushing their teeth or waiting for us in the window with a note. Such an overused word, but it was truly magical!

I would need to write a trip report from my Princess '17 trip to cover all of our memories. We really had the best time! My first half marathon and first runDisney race was so incredible... and I hate to be cliche, but running down mainstreet and seeing the castle for the first time is truly the best. Also very special was seeing (and hearing!) my husband right before the finish line. He is so supportive and was so excited for me and it means the world... I'll stop gushing now.

And after thinking through these memories... I am even more excited to register for Marathon Weekend!!!

I have so many precious memories of visiting WDW as a kid. I can still vividly remember the feeling of coming back to the room to see our stuffed animals watching TV, brushing their teeth or waiting for us in the window with a note. Such an overused word, but it was truly magical!

I would need to write a trip report from my Princess '17 trip to cover all of our memories. We really had the best time! My first half marathon and first runDisney race was so incredible... and I hate to be cliche, but running down mainstreet and seeing the castle for the first time is truly the best. Also very special was seeing (and hearing!) my husband right before the finish line. He is so supportive and was so excited for me and it means the world... I'll stop gushing now.

And after thinking through these memories... I am even more excited to register for Marathon Weekend!!!

There's nothing like running down Main Street, USA.

1) Our wedding and honeymoon back a little over 10 years ago

2) When I was around 10, we spent Christmas at the Contemporary in the Main Building Overlooking Magic Kingdom. Everyone had stockings on their door from Mickey when we woke up.

3) Towards the end of Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon - the women whose nice comment helped pull me out of a 7 mile mental downspin. Let me know I could finish.

4) Star Wars Weekends - VIP Package

3) Towards the end of Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon - the women whose nice comment helped pull me out of a 7 mile mental downspin. Let me know I could finish.

I was just talking to someone this morning about the psychological benefit of good spectators. There were more than a few points during the 2017 marathon when I felt just completely exhausted. I would walk, but inevitably, I hear someone shot, "Come on, Cap!" (I was in my Captain America UA top) and it provided such a boost. Like, people are watching me - as Captain American - and I can't let them down.

We are officially booked for the Beach Club for marathon weekend! I went back and forth a lot about where we wanted to stay, but ultimately decided we wanted that walking proximity to HS and Epcot again - we are by golly doing DATW on Monday this time! Not to mention close to HH for the Friday DisMeet. Still undecided if we want to run the 10k or not, but if not, it will be great spectating that morning instead! Hey, @SarahDisney ! We'll see you there right? And @Keels too?

We are officially booked for the Beach Club for marathon weekend! I went back and forth a lot about where we wanted to stay, but ultimately decided we wanted that walking proximity to HS and Epcot again - we are by golly doing DATW on Monday this time! Not to mention close to HH for the Friday DisMeet. Still undecided if we want to run the 10k or not, but if not, it will be great spectating that morning instead! Hey, @SarahDisney ! We'll see you there right? And @Keels too?

Yeeessssssss!!! Beach Club party!

Yeeessssssss!!! Beach Club party!
Totally crashing any beach club party shenanigans!

As much as my mom wants to claim that she took me to Disneyland as a child (pics of it didn't happen MOM), my first trip to Disneyland was when I was in high school. I had a friend doing a cheer competition there and I went along with her. Things I remember from that trip are meeting Tigger (who was my favorite at the time) and running through the sprinklers in Tomorrowland fully clothed. It was such a great experience.

But nothing at all will compare to my first runDisney event. 2014 Dumbo Double Dare. Completely untrained. The 10k was literally the happiest race in the world. The Disneyland 10k will always be my favorite race, ever. EVER. I smiled that whole race. Then the next day when I did the Half and wondered what I got myself into and if I was going to die. I did a lot of walking. I finished just under 3 hours. But when I finally crossed that finish line, I cried happy tears, knowing that I could do anything I put my mind to. Those 3 race medals are like my bread and butter of my running life.

Totally crashing any beach club party shenanigans!

As much as my mom wants to claim that she took me to Disneyland as a child (pics of it didn't happen MOM), my first trip to Disneyland was when I was in high school. I had a friend doing a cheer competition there and I went along with her. Things I remember from that trip are meeting Tigger (who was my favorite at the time) and running through the sprinklers in Tomorrowland fully clothed. It was such a great experience.

But nothing at all will compare to my first runDisney event. 2014 Dumbo Double Dare. Completely untrained. The 10k was literally the happiest race in the world. The Disneyland 10k will always be my favorite race, ever. EVER. I smiled that whole race. Then the next day when I did the Half and wondered what I got myself into and if I was going to die. I did a lot of walking. I finished just under 3 hours. But when I finally crossed that finish line, I cried happy tears, knowing that I could do anything I put my mind to. Those 3 race medals are like my bread and butter of my running life.

I'll be at the BCVs so please keep it down over on the BC side! :rockband:

So it looks like its probably just going to be me for marathon weekend. I can't swing BC by myself so it will probably be Pop or a moderate with a TA I found. I will definitely come for the shenanigans at BC though!

SAFD:
  • Most of my early memories are from DL, not WDW. We went to DL in the early 70's when I was 4 years old and I still have very vivid memories of riding Dumbo, looking up at the Matterhorn in awe, riding Haunted Mansion and Pirates with my head buried in my dad's shoulder (despite the fact that Mickey Mouse was in the queue for Haunted Mansion so he tried to convince me if Mickey was going on it, it would all be ok...) Mission to Mars, Adventures through Inner Space... it was all pretty amazing.
  • My first trip to WDW wasn't until my late 20's. I went with my girlfriend (soon to be wife). Three things stood out to me:
    • Tower of Terror - I was slowly becoming a Disney theme park fanatic, and this ride blended everything I love about WDI
    • Illuminations - Reflections of Earth - I was so incredibly moved by the show and the music that I went straight out and bought the CD which also included the magnificent music from Tapestry of Nations. I still run to this CD on nearly every race.
    • The resort itself - I was used to Disneyland (pre DLR/DCA) with it's packed in hotels, restaurants and tourist traps surrounding the park. This was a whole new world to me (no pun intended) that I absolutely fell in love with. I wish I lived closer!
  • I only have one runDisney experience - but it was a good one. I ran in the inaugural Disneyland Half Marathon in 2006. It was cool being a part of something for the first time, and I loved the (brief) run through the parks, as well as running through the Angels outfield, and along the viaduct where they filmed Grease and T2 (and through the streets of Anaheim passing Mariachi bands and cheerleaders in front of Midas auto shops and Burger King restaurants :)). This was just my second half marathon and as I rounded the corner towards the finish line at Downtown Disney I saw my wife with my 3 young kids and I ran up and gave her a quick hug and a kiss before I headed to the finish - and she had tears in her eyes. After I finished the race I said how much her tears inspired me as I finished... and she said - oh, I wasn't crying because I saw you - there were some inspiring racers in wheelchairs that had just come through ahead of you... :o

Yes! I’m at ...

I'll be at the BCVs so please keep it down over on the BC side! :rockband:

BCV!! Party at my studio!!

Late nights during marathon weekend are like 9:00. :)

Yeah, something like that ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!