SAFD: Got the ADRs I wanted (girls trip for 2) once the website decided it wanted to work. It kept returning to today’s date if I wanted to look for a different time — I ended up for a brunch at ‘Ohana last Thursday, although I was in NC at the time. The nice folks were able to cancel for me.

Thurs- BOG lunch - I’ve been once, thought it was okay. My friend hasn’t been, so thought it was great first park day meal after the 5k.
Fri- Yak and Yeti - never been but on my list to try
Sat- Ohanas late breakfast. Should be able to get there after the half from SOG I hope! Non-park day
Sun- Mama Melrose? MGM day for sure, but might change.
Mon- DATW lunch at Via Napoli
Tues- Raglin Road supper
Wed- nothing yet, although we don’t leave until early evening. Will sit out parks either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Made a few so far!

Thursday: Akershus dinner - princess dinner for the DDs and a little “taste” of Norway to get excited for our summer 2019 cruise.

Friday: Yak and Yeti dinner - first time, we always do lunch at Flame Tree and don’t branch out. Planning our usual lunch and the staying through to dinner - excited to try something new!

Saturday: TBD - likely no ADR, but maybe somewhere in MK? Plaza? BOG?

SAFD:
No ADR’s this year. Hoping to go, but it remains in the air for now. Reading all your plans makes me so jealous! Good eating to you all!!!

SAFD:

This will be our first Marathon Weekend, so I figured what better way to join the discussion than on a Sunday.

This will also be our first adults-only trip to Disney since we had kids, so we’re branching out with our ADR selections.

Wednesday: Sanaa dinner - We’ve always wanted to try the full bread service

Thursday: Morimoto dinner - I’ve been there before and my wife says she wants to try it. Plus, we can walk around Disney Springs without a stroller, and we don’t have to go into the Lego store for once.

Friday: California Grill dinner - I’ll say it again...No Kids!

Saturday: Ohana dinner - This is tradition, we can’t go without at least one meal where I get skewers of meat delivered to the table, and my wife gets her treasured lapu lapu.

taking a last minute trip next week to take advantage of my summer PIN code and do after hours. one additional priority during this visit will be to drive as much of the marathon race route as i can to get a sense of the layout of the course.

any suggestions of things to take notice of would be appreciated. i'm more looking for portions of the course outside of the theme park areas which, obviously, i feel pretty familiar with.

taking a last minute trip next week to take advantage of my summer PIN code and do after hours. one additional priority during this visit will be to drive as much of the marathon race route as i can to get a sense of the layout of the course.

any suggestions of things to take notice of would be appreciated. i'm more looking for portions of the course outside of the theme park areas which, obviously, i feel pretty familiar with.

ESPN wide world of sports is the 9th circle of hell and you’ll spend roughly 3/4 of the marathon there.

ESPN wide world of sports is the 9th circle of hell and you’ll spend roughly 3/4 of the marathon there.

yeah, i'm pretty prepared for this one. it pops up in pretty much every race report.

for this i'm really trying to focus on those long road stretches that only get a passing mention; ramps to ascend, long inclines, iffy pavement surfaces, etc etc. this is what i want to look for when i drive the course.

yeah, i'm pretty prepared for this one. it pops up in pretty much every race report.

for this i'm really trying to focus on those long road stretches that only get a passing mention; ramps to ascend, long inclines, iffy pavement surfaces, etc etc. this is what i want to look for when i drive the course.
Unless you live somewhere really, really flat, you won't even notice the inclines when you run. Driving you don't get a sense for them either since they are gradual inclines. There are many course maps on line to help you if you want to drive it, but also remember that many of these roads are not accessible. Some are back office roads, some are bus routes, etc.

I also like to drive a course before running it - just not sure how practical it is at WDW.

Personally I dislike the surfaces in Animal Kingdom for running. They are made that way on purpose for aesthetics I’m sure and I appreciate it when I’m just touring the park but if something is going to hurt during the race for me it starts there.

Another thing you may or may not notice is that many roads outside the park are majorly tilted (I’m sure there is a technical term for this) for run off of water I guess. I never noticed it driving around but I sure do when I’m running it.

Personally I dislike the surfaces in Animal Kingdom for running. They are made that way on purpose for aesthetics I’m sure and I appreciate it when I’m just touring the park but if something is going to hurt during the race for me it starts there.

Another thing you may or may not notice is that many roads outside the park are majorly tilted (I’m sure there is a technical term for this) for run off of water I guess. I never noticed it driving around but I sure do when I’m running it.

the slope is one of my concerns. it's not too big a deal if you can run the middle of the road since that's where it's level. unfortunately, in races where the road isn't fully closed, you get forced to run on the side where the slope is significantly steeper. a couple miles is OK. a dozen or so miles is an issue. thanks for the input.

the slope is one of my concerns. it's not too big a deal if you can run the middle of the road since that's where it's level. unfortunately, in races where the road isn't fully closed, you get forced to run on the side where the slope is significantly steeper. a couple miles is OK. a dozen or so miles is an issue. thanks for the input.
My experience is that many of these roads are fully canted to one side: like the entire thing sloped to the right or left it’s not flat in the middle. Some people run on the grass to escape it but I’m a pathological rule follower.

My experience is that many of these roads are fully canted to one side: like the entire thing sloped to the right or left it’s not flat in the middle. Some people run on the grass to escape it but I’m a pathological rule follower.

well, the other problem is getting off the tangent of the course. the more you do that, the more distance you have to cover.

I've seen a lot of posts in groups thinking registrations will be on your MDE or even in the app - they are not in MDE & will not show up there.

Just go to the AP/DVC page like you would before for the link tomorrow and Thursday go to the rundisney page for the link.

Last edited:
Just a couple for us...

Friday dinner: Mama Melrose
Saturday dinner: Cali Grill, timed for fireworks
Sunday brunch: Raglan

We usually do the morning-after breakfast at Grand Floridian Cafe, but decided to switch it up

SAFD:
I had a hard time deciding what to do for ADR's this time, especially not knowing how I'll feel post-marathon.

The only reservations I've made so far are for both lunch and dinner at BOG (I'll only keep one), but want to see reviews of the new dinner menu before I commit to eating dinner there.

SAFD: Only have two reservations planned so far. I have a lunch reservation at Via Napoli after the 10k and we will have our marathon celebration dinner at Coral Reef on Sunday. I'm not the biggest fan of CR but my husband lovessss it so here I am being a nice wife and choosing it for our celebration dinner lol.

SAFD:

Tagging along for the DATW lunch but other than that, haven't made any ADRs. Kept looking this weekend to see what was available but didn't end up booking anything.

One "meal" for sure would be a box of Honolulu Cookie Co. cookies from the Poly gift shop after the Marathon. :)

ESPN is long but not as bad as I worked it up to be. I felt the stretch across the boardwalk was long probably because that is where my legs were screaming at me. Lol

My sister and I shared a beer at Epcot the last mile which was very rewarding.:worship:

Yep, especially in turns. I am one who runs on the grass at the bottom of those curves to avoid the camber, but I don't care about my time so running a little further is not a concern for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter