Marathon Weekend 2020

Yeah, I'm having trouble taking in more than what I'm currently doing WHILE running. It could be that I need to switch away from the sport beans, but I like them because they are small and I can chew them easily--for some reason the consistency of gels is a REAL no-go for me while running, though I tolerate them fine beforehand. I've tried raisins and that was a disaster. I swear I have no food aversions or stomach problems and am not picky in the rest of my life--just while running!

Do you not like trying to get down the gels or do they bother your stomach? If it's the first, try taking them with liquids - either carrying a bottle or time them to water stops. Gel and then splash of drink and they go down a lot easier.

I am really interested in the fuelling conversation. I tried have tried prescribed fuelling a certain time points, I tried simply eating when hungry, etc. Either way gels, bars and shot bloks became to hard to stomach. I was introduced to Tailwind and found that to be my answer. It provides the electrolytes and calories needed. Has some really good flavours and I found that adding shot bloks (for my need to chew something) seemed to be the right mix.

My only other suggestion is if you are eating, slow down/walk for a minute while you do it. For me this was a suggestion from another runner and it really helped me.

Now my question. I mostly used Tailwind in Ultras. Has anyone used Tailwind for a Marathon or Half? Powder in a bag? Hydration vest? What worked for you?

My only other suggestion is if you are eating, slow down/walk for a minute while you do it. For me this was a suggestion from another runner and it really helped me.
Slowing down to take in fuel really helps me too. It just settles much better and I don't feel like I have to slow down even more in order to wait for my stomach to calm down.

Now my question. I mostly used Tailwind in Ultras. Has anyone used Tailwind for a Marathon or Half? Powder in a bag? Hydration vest? What worked for you?
I have been using Tailwind for a few years and it was the answer to my GI issues! I carry a bottle with me and put enough tailwind in a ziploc bag for a refill on the course (I also alternate with taking water from the water stops depending on how warm it is). It's a little awkward and messy but it gets me to the finish line!

Has anyone used Tailwind for a Marathon or Half? Powder in a bag? Hydration vest? What worked for you?

I make it concentrated, but it's not enough for the entire race given I don't want to carry it. It's tolerable at 1 scoop per 1 oz of water (recommended is 1 scoop per 8-12 oz). So I put 3 scoops into a 5oz Hammer Flask with 3 oz water. It's very salty/sweet, but it doesn't bother me. Just have to make sure you're still drinking enough water along the way to make it absorbable. So I'd imagine you would be able to follow the same procedure with an 8, 10, 12, etc. oz bottle but I haven't tried it personally.

SIS tend to be very watery because of their isotonic make-up and no need for additional water for absorption. I have not personally tried them.
Funny: They do not sell SIS in Canadian stores but it is what they give at the Montreal RnR. Because of not trying them during training, I did not take any during my Half in 2018. For my first Marathon in 2019, I was not rushed so I tried one on the course. The texture is syrupy or slightly slimy. I disliked the Tutti Frutti flavour. Towards the end, they had other flavours so I pocketed them knowing that I would likely encounter them in 2020. With the water fountains shut off for winter, I recently started trying them on my long runs. Green apple was ok. Cherry tasted like melted popsicle.

In general, I prefer using a mix of Cliff Blocks (Margarita and Cherry Cola) or Honey Stinger chew, Gu gel (Expresso Love and Campfire S’mores) and Louis Garneau gel (Moonshine Peach) plus whatever is provided along the way.

Can you eat bananas during a race?
Are we starting a banana 🍌 discussion? This thread can go banana :banana:over it!

I can eat bananas anytime except during a race. I don’t know why, they roll in my mouth. I’ll accept (and did) watermelon, popsicle, chicken broth, waffles, oranges, chocolate cake and even wine! But banana, no.

Last edited:

There are two good ways to use Tailwind in a marathon. One is to bring the powder in either the Tailwind single-use packets or small ziploc bags to allow you to mix a new bottle or bottles along the way. The single-use packets are easier and require less prep work on your part. The second option is the one @DopeyBadger described above - mix highly concentrated bottles in advance which eliminates the need to mix new ones during the race. A super-concentrated bottle of 800 calories in a Nathan belt or waist pack, for example, will be enough to generally last the entire race taking a small sip every 20 minutes or so.

In general, I prefer using a mix of Cliff Blocks (Margarita and Cherry Cola) or Honey Stinger chew, Gu gel (Expresso Love and Campfire S’mores) and Louis Garneau gel (Moonshine Peach) plus whatever is provided along the way.

Love Honey Stinger cherry chews, that’s my only go to for HMs. My stomach seems to not be pleased when I only have chews or liquids for a full so I have added in a couple Honey Stinger waffles on 20 mile+ runs. Kind of a pain to eat solid food while running but seems to work better for me.

SAFD: Haven't been on here much and have just gotten caught up. Training has gone well for me. Hopefully the weather here in Colorado will cooperate for my two long runs that I have left. Had a good 18 miler two weeks ago, so that helped my confidence that I'll be ready. Can't wait to head back to WDW and get away from the cold and snow. Good luck to all during these final weeks of training!

Just keep experimenting. There are a lot of different gels out there with different consistencies. SIS tend to be very watery because of their isotonic make-up and no need for additional water for absorption. I have not personally tried them. The E-gel is somewhere in the middle in consistency (not thick like GU and not thin like SIS). Maurten gels are like Jello and have a unique texture "half need to chew/not chew" type feel. So try a variety of brands to see if any of them might be more tolerable.

As a personal example, I consume 93 grams/carbs per hour for training runs over 90 min (as practice for what I plan to do on race day). The intake is regimented and timed based on trying to maximize the absorption rate of the products. In my hopeful 3 hr marathon, I'll consume 279 grams carbs and 1120 calories. At 170 pounds, I'm estimated to burn 3260 calories. Based on an average male leg muscle mass (21%), my legs store about 1300 calories worth of carbohydrates and an additional 100 calories worth in my liver. Based on the calculations and attempting to run at peak performance, I have to also do an aggressive carb loading strategy to supercompensate the glycogen storage in my legs otherwise I will assuredly fall short of having enough energy on board. In comparison, in order to consume 279 grams carbs it would take just over 11 bags of sports beans.

View attachment 456297

I chose the products based on their nutritional content (primarily looking at carbs, sodium, and potassium) and ease of transport.

Thank you so much for this! I'm really only starting to look into taking fueling seriously. All of my prior running has been, "Well, the back of the package says I should have this much, so I'll have this much", but I'm trying to push myself past my previous performance, so that's just not cutting it anymore.

I'm also 25 pounds lighter than when I was last racing, so my calorie margins are narrower, in a sense, I think.

Thank you for starting this discussion! I'm starting to seriously reconsider my fueling strategy after seeing the posts from you and @DopeyBadger .

Can you eat bananas during a race? We will have 2 fuel stations with bananas during the race. A medium banana is about 110 calories (plus other good nutrients). During the race, I will take a banana half (or sometimes I take 2 of the half portions) and slowly eat it over the next mile.

What about Clif bars? I slowly eat a bar in the corral starting about 30 minutes before the gun.

I also drink both water and powerade at each water stop (except for the 3 stops in which I take a Clif gel; I only take water for those). I've discovered during training and racing that I can tolerate a good amount of water and powerade (or gatorade) with no stomach issues. It would be great to accurately calculate the calories in the (diluted) powerade drinks we receive at each runDisney aid station. If they were full strength, we would have 40 calories for every 6 ounce cup. So, with 19 aid stations, we have the opportunity for 380 calories for diluted (50%) powerade - assuming it's diluted at 50%, and assuming we can drink 6 ounces.

One more fuel strategy: I use Clif Shot Bloks for the later stages of a race. I take 3 bloks which are only 100 calories (33 each), but I do the following for a mental boost: I bite a blok in half and place it in each cheek. The blok then slowly dissolves and lasts for the next 1 or 2 miles, and I can taste the flavor which really helps. I've read training studies in which runners on a treadmill would just taste a sports drink (but not swallow it) -- and their performance improved simply from the taste. Everything helps!

FWIW, here's my fueling strategy which I've followed for the last 4 Disney marathons -- I think I need to adjust it:

Start: Clif bar
Mile 4: gel
Mile 8: gel
Mile 12: banana
Mile 16: gel
Mile 19: banana
Mile 23: chocolate / candy

Plus 16 aid stations with powerade

I've never tried bananas, honestly. knowing that there will be some on race day definitely makes me want to at least give it a shot. I loved clif shot bloks during my last marathon (2014), but I haven't used them since--mostly because my local store doesn't carry them, but I might try picking some up to see if I tolerate them better.

Do you not like trying to get down the gels or do they bother your stomach? If it's the first, try taking them with liquids - either carrying a bottle or time them to water stops. Gel and then splash of drink and they go down a lot easier.
Honestly, it's trying to swallow them that kind of makes me gag and, therefore, get nauseated. I may have to try them with water, as you've said, or try some with a thinner consistency, as others have mentioned. It's a shame, though, because I really like the GU flavors. lol

I am really interested in the fuelling conversation. I tried have tried prescribed fuelling a certain time points, I tried simply eating when hungry, etc. Either way gels, bars and shot bloks became to hard to stomach. I was introduced to Tailwind and found that to be my answer. It provides the electrolytes and calories needed. Has some really good flavours and I found that adding shot bloks (for my need to chew something) seemed to be the right mix.

I think this may be a big thing for me. Mentally, I have a hard time slowing down to eat, even though I often walk through water stations. I don't know why--but maybe I just have to make myself do it.

So, I’m sitting at my desk, eating the same frozen (not Frozen) meal I’ve had literally dozens of times this year and I can’t get the thought of eating at Boma out of my mind. Anyone else getting some serious Disney food cravings yet?

I could definitely go for an Ice Cream Martini from L'Artisan des Glaces...the Milk Chocolate & Orange with the Grand Marnier poured over...

I just finished my cheddar cheese popcorn out of my refillable bucket at lunch today. I want more! (and I literally just got home Sunday from WDW)

I can't wait to eat at Takumi-Tei again.

Was it amazing? My husband and I keep debating whether we should check it out or not.

My buddy is running in the 2020 Marathon. As a spectator, is there anything I am missing if I do not accompany him to the starting line? I will meeting him at the finish line by Epcot

SAFD: Training for the 10K and half this time and it's going well. I am doing a rare running streak through the holidays, so I'm being extra careful to not injure myself. We are in the middle of a yucky winter inversion that leaves our air quality very poor, so I've been doing more treadmill runs than normal.
Sending good wishes to those that are injured and congratulations to those that are knocking your training out of the park! Between reading about y'all's marathon training and watching Brittany Runs a Marathon, I'm pretty excited to go for marathon #2. My sister-in-law said she would do it in 2021 with me, so hopefully that will happen :)

My buddy is running in the 2020 Marathon. As a spectator, is there anything I am missing if I do not accompany him to the starting line? I will meeting him at the finish line by Epcot

As a spectator, you will not be able to accompany him all the way to the starting line. There is a pre-race assembly area where runners, friends and family can congregate, but quite a bit before the race starts only the runners are allowed to take the long walk to the corrals. I would suggest maybe finding a place along the course to see him pass and then heading over to the finish line rather than trying to be there prior to the start that early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter