Marathon Weekend 2021

Glad the SAFD tradition continues!

I'm Patrick, a 45 y/o lawyer living just outside Atlanta (John's Creek). Grew up in Michigan, but moved south for college (New Orleans), realized I didn't have to live in the cold and never looked back. Have been married for 19 years and we have 4 kids (3 girls & 1 boy). Our joke is that we only have short-term memory as they are 17,14, 9 & 4. With the kids spread out, Disney has been great for us and has been a big part of our lives for last 20 years. In addition to running, I love golf (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) and hiking.

So, for this week's Sundays are for Disney (courtesy of @run.minnie.miles ) ... Roll Call! Tell us all a little bit about yourself. Share as much or as little as you want ... name, hometown, interests outside of Disney and running (we'll save those for another time), hobbies, a quirky fact or where we can find you on social media if you'd like to share that as well.

Hey there! I'm Gretchen. I'm a 43 year old SoCal native (LaLaLand) who somehow got "tricked" into moving where the air hurts my face (Central PA). I have a husband and three boys (20, 9 and 6). I'm a teacher by trade/education and am currently the queen of the side gig. I teach ESL online, sub locally and work PT as the career that shall not be named on the boards. Besides Disney (which is actually how I got started running in the first place) my hobbies include breaking up fights between boys, shuttling boys to Scouts and practice, folding copious amounts of laundry and trying to figure out what to eat for dinner every night. In all seriousness, besides the Mouse, I enjoy traveling, wine, reading, all things royal, wine, Ireland, the LA Dodgers, wine, talking about things I miss about California, wine and theater. I'm on Instagram as @lovingeire

SAFD: It's cool to get to know everyone!

I'm Kim, 49, marketing manager for a national animal welfare nonprofit. I'm married (26 years in May) to my high school sweetheart. For our 25th anniversary last May, we went to every single Disney theme park in the world in one trip! (We'd been to them all before but never at once - 16 days, all carry-on luggage.) We're childfree but have been taking our nieces and nephews to WDW since 2001 when we bought DVC. I started running for rD bling about four years ago. I live in Salt Lake City, but I'm from Kansas City, MO and CAN'T BELIEVE WE FINALLY MADE A SUPER BOWL IN MY LIFETIME! We go to WDW more than DL because I have family on the west coast of Florida, so I grew up going to the Orlando parks.

insta: @kim_captures

Last edited:
Oooo, like the idea of this SAFD!.

Im Alistair, im from a small town called Lutterworth in England, UK. im 37 (38 next month). Married and have a lovely 6 year old son. As a 3 person family we have done Disney 3 times, but have been lucky enough to be going pretty much every other year since i was 12.

Im a big football fan (Or soccer as most of you will know it as) and support the mighty Leicester City and Next year will be my first ever run Disney event (going for a full on Dopey experience... hopefully!)

and one for fun, my favourite Disney rides (tough call as i love so many of them!) are Space mountain (My first ever ride i went on all those years ago!) and Slinky dog dash as my son loves to ride this all day long

SAFD: Count among those happy to see Sunday’s are for Disney continue

I’m Jared, 38, from Indiana. I found disboards a few years ago while searching for medal previews for Marathon Weekend. My Disney and runDisney obsession began in January 2012 at Marathon Weekend. It was my first Half Marathon and my first time at Disney since the mid-90’s (I definitely believed myself too cool for Disney when I was a teenager; it was the visit in 2012, which doubled as my oldest nephews first visit, that opened my eyes about Disney being more than a place for kids). I’ve been back every Marathon Weekend since and have sprinkled in a few Disney only trips and a Disney Cruise with my family as well.

When I say “my family” it means all or some of (in decreasing order of Disney frequency): my sister, nephew (11), niece (9), brother-in-law, mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, nephew (9), niece (7), and nephew (5). Unfortunately, on a day-to-day basis it’s just me and my Irish Setter McFly (who doesn’t get to join in on any Disney fun). I have pretty debilitating social anxiety that makes it very hard for me to meet and socialize with new people so that’s unlikely to change.

I’m not on social media as I’m not very interesting.

SAFD:
Great first question! My name is Charlie, and I am a 50 year old married father of two, both girls, 17 & 12. I grew up and spent most of my life in different parts of California, but consider Santa Cruz, California my hometown. For the past 10 years I have been living in Okemos, Michigan and work at Michigan State were I did my Masters work back in the day. I have loved Disney for as long as I can remember with most of my trips, at least until we moved out to MSU, being at Disneyland; which is my all time favorite park. My hobbies include running (of course), reading, hiking and camping. I am a huge New Orlean Saints fan and also a MSU Spartans fan, it has been a rough couple of years. MW 2021 will be my 6th and I hope to complete my 5th Dopey.

SAFD: Count among those happy to see Sunday’s are for Disney continue

I’m Jared, 38, from Indiana. I found disboards a few years ago while searching for medal previews for Marathon Weekend. My Disney and runDisney obsession began in January 2012 at Marathon Weekend. It was my first Half Marathon and my first time at Disney since the mid-90’s (I definitely believed myself too cool for Disney when I was a teenager; it was the visit in 2012, which doubled as my oldest nephews first visit, that opened my eyes about Disney being more than a place for kids). I’ve been back every Marathon Weekend since and have sprinkled in a few Disney only trips and a Disney Cruise with my family as well.

When I say “my family” it means all or some of (in decreasing order of Disney frequency): my sister, nephew (11), niece (9), brother-in-law, mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law, nephew (9), niece (7), and nephew (5). Unfortunately, on a day-to-day basis it’s just me and my Irish Setter McFly (who doesn’t get to join in on any Disney fun). I have pretty debilitating social anxiety that makes it very hard for me to meet and socialize with new people so that’s unlikely to change.

I’m not on social media as I’m not very interesting.
A photo of McFly is requested. 🐶

My name is Tiffany and I’m a masters runner, 2x marathoner and 21x half marathoner from Seattle. I’m also a Legacy Nuun Ambassador sharing the #nuunlove I started running for the first time in my life in 2013 when I registered for my first half marathon, Wine & Dine. 🍷

I have never been married and have no children. I work as a Safety Program Manager at an international airport. My hobbies outside of running through Disney theme parks include travel and photography (frequently together). In my former life I was a travel agent and that is a big reason why I choose to work at the airport today. I’m looking forward to my fourth trip to Europe this September/October to run the 5th anniversary Disneyland Paris Half and tour the UK.

You can find me on Twitter @SEATiffany

What a great SAFD!
I’m Mike, 48 years old in western MA where I have been my entire life. Happily married for 25 years to my HS sweetheart with a 15 YO daughter. All of us are Disney fanatics, making the flight to Orlando several times a year. I am an odd duck in that I don’t like or follow any sports, I can’t stand sitting around watching them on TV when I can be doing something instead. I have worked outside my entire life and hobbies used to include skiing, hiking, rock climbing, flying, shooting, hunting, and racing off-road in custom buggies that I built. Now it’s all about family vacations and running, especially Disney, we will be at all the races this year. Of course they will enjoy not running while I beat myself up for fun.

SAFD:
Hi, I'm Sarah! I'm a software engineer (which is my 4th career, I think) living in NYC and working for a healthtech startup. I grew up on Disney movies and characters, but didn't really get hooked on the parks until I was an adult. My interests outside of Disney include Harry Potter. That's basically it. Oh, and sports. Mostly baseball, but also hockey and football.

My goal for 2020 is to make my fitness journey fun, and I'm slightly documenting that on instagram at funfitrunsarah.

My personal instagram is lifeassarahlynn (it's private and I'm super careful about who I approve to follow me, so if you want to follow me and your insta isn't the same as your DIS username, shoot me a message so that I know it's you). Twitter is also lifeasarahlynn, but that's mostly sports and me complaining about the subway.

Who doesn’t know me at this point ;)
Who are you?

Hi, I'm Sharon. I live in Grand Rapids, MI with my hubby of 18 years and our three kids, 2 boys and a girl, ages 16,14 & 12. I work for a local government office. My hobbies include running, yoga, skiing, kayaking, reading, gardening, camping and travel. You can find me on Instagram @sharonschmuker.

I'm Valarie. I'm 42 from Long Island, NY. I have 3 boys, ages 8, 6, and 3. Mostly they are my hobby right now because they have so much energy! Our life is crazy, so running is my escape and quiet time. I work part-time at our public library as a reference librarian. Whenever I get a chance I love to read, hike and nap.

SAFD:
Hi! I'm Andrea, and even though I have been following these boards since I was training for the Princess Half in 2018, this is my first time posting. I'm hoping to finish my first marathon ever in 2021 alongside some of you awesome people who have helped me on my running journey these past few years!

I am a 29-year-old Jersey Girl, University of Maryland alum (met my husband there), math teacher, Harry Potter enthusiast, and animal lover. My secret dream is to work at Animal Kingdom when I eventually retire :)

SAFD: Jim, 61, Retired [I can't tell you from what because I would have to destroy this message]. Grew up in the NY Metro area so Mets, Jets, and Rangers. The Knicks and the NBA were eliminated years ago. Married for 35 years to my favorite right fielder! She could catch but couldn't hit the cutoff man [person]. No children but a ton of nieces and nephews. I think everyone knows where I went to college!? Saw the Pope in October 1979, Senior year at PC and I was an "usher" for the throngs on Boston Common. Been running Disney since 2006 and haven't missed a marathon weekend event.....except 2017, not my fault. Will try to be a better DISer in 2020 with the 1/2 lined up for 2021 with my niece. In the meantime, here are the obligatory dog pictures of Jassie, aka Princess Jasmine! Winter, Spring [and plane watching], Summer and Fall [no fall picture so a bonus spring picture added]!
yhOJmZN.jpg

MWXyF1h.jpg

CGFY6Yk.jpg

S098cZ9.jpg

Last edited:
SAFD: Hey all. I'm Kevin, 37 years old and grew up/live in suburban Philly. Singel, no kids. While I played soccer growing up, running just to run was not something I had any interest in. Then about 3 1/3 years ago I decided alcohol and I needed to go our separate ways (no major event, was just sick and tired of being sick and tired), Then as I got closer to my one year anniversary I decided to celebrate by doing something I wouldn't have done while drinking. I saw there was half-marathon the day before my anniversay, so i decided I'd run it. While training for it I found out I do like running. As for other hobbys, I'm a huge reader. Between Paperback.hardback, e-readers, & audilbe I generally have at least three books going at any time. Also a huge sports fan (specifcally, all Philly teams). I watch just about anything except NASSCAR (which also happens to be just about the only major sport I have seen live game/event of). It also helps that Philly has the best mascots in the Phanatic & Gritty (as well as the best college mascot, The Hawk Will Never Die!). You can find me on instagram @kevinmccarrick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter