Marathon Weekend Packet Pick Up Question

prncssjas

Running, Disney, Aladdin...
For those of you who have raced Marathon weekend in January, what day is the expo *least* crowded and at what time typically? Is it crazy busy all day long? DH and I are running the half and fly into MCO very early on Thursday morning. Are we better off going to the expo straightaway on Thursday? Or wait until Friday? I would appreciate any insight. This is our first RunDisney event and we are super excited!! Thank you!!! :flower1:

Last year was my first experience with the expo. I only ran the 10k. I went near the end of the day on the Thursday to get my stuff and had no problems with crowds or anything. This year I am going on Wednesday because I am running the 5k. Thursday should be good whenever the time.

Last year was my first experience with the expo. I only ran the 10k. I went near the end of the day on the Thursday to get my stuff and had no problems with crowds or anything. This year I am going on Wednesday because I am running the 5k. Thursday should be good whenever the time.

That's good to know! I didn't know if the expo would get busier and busier as the weekend progressed. I am thinking Thursday might be a good day. Best wishes to you on a terrific race! :-)

I would go Thursday but not first thing in the morning,to avoid crowds.If you want to buy some merchandise and dont want to risk it selling out then go early On Thursday.

I would go Thursday but not first thing in the morning,to avoid crowds.If you want to buy some merchandise and dont want to risk it selling out then go early On Thursday.
When I went on Thursday last year the only thing that I couldn't get that I wanted was the rundisney magicband. I was able to get new balance Disney shoes in my size but not my moms.

I don't know that it will help you completely avoid crowds but if you are looking for specific race merchandise, the earlier you can get to the expo the better. From what I remember there are about 10k runners for the 5 and 10K and about 26K runners each for the half and full. With challenges there is some overlap in those numbers but I think it's safe to say about twice the number of people will need to pick up their bibs on Friday as will pick them up on wed's or thursday.

For those of you who have raced Marathon weekend in January, what day is the expo *least* crowded and at what time typically? Is it crazy busy all day long? DH and I are running the half and fly into MCO very early on Thursday morning. Are we better off going to the expo straightaway on Thursday? Or wait until Friday? I would appreciate any insight. This is our first RunDisney event and we are super excited!! Thank you!!! :flower1:

Packet and shirt pickup has been relatively uncrowded every time I have gone over the last four years. The expo itself always seems relatively crowded, but going Saturday late afternoon in 2013 when I was "just" running the marathon was by far the worst crowding I experienced. I think the crowding does get progressively worse as more runners show up and merchandise starts to sell out.

We went Thursday afternoon right after flying in and it wasn't crowded. Honestly don't remember if anything was sold out, they seemed to have stocked shelves and all the I Did It shirts were still available. I guess if there's something you really must buy I would go Thursday as soon as you can otherwise waiting till Friday would be fine.

I plan on going to the expo/packet pickup when the doors open Saturday. How much of a mess will it be at that time? We are driving from Louisiana on Friday and staying a hour or two away that night, then make the last leg Saturday morning.

Saturday shouldn't be too bad. All of the bibs for the first three races will have been picked up by then, and many of the marathoners will have arrived earlier to get theirs too.

I went at a high crowd time, Thursday afternoon! It was the only time we could go because we had a 5k the very next morning and needed our bibs. It appeared very very crowded but we had a very tiny wait to actually get into the expo and that is simply because people wanted pictures. But that wait wasn't even five minutes. When I got into the Expo, you could see lots of people shopping etc but the bib pick up is in a separate spot and that is very very well set up and very big. Everywhere was shoppable and bib pick up was extremely fast! Disney has got everything down to a T. Personally I wouldn't worry about the Expo or Bib pick up, but then again that's just my experience from one time, so it could easily be different for you!

Thank you everyone for your replies! The countdown is ON and I am sooooooo excited. One last question--are there character meet & greets at the EXPO? Places to take pictures with your bib (like how it's done at other large races?). Just curious. :-)

Thank you everyone for your replies! The countdown is ON and I am sooooooo excited. One last question--are there character meet & greets at the EXPO? Places to take pictures with your bib (like how it's done at other large races?). Just curious. :-)
There are no character meet and greets but they do have photo ops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter