March Break Flights

We flew out of Detroit with Spirit Airlines Mon to Mon. cost in CAD worked out to be around $161 per person one way. This is with all extra costs. If the price is right we will use them again. This was our 7th March break trip and the highest that we have paid! We always travel to the States for our flights and never had issues with weather. My friend flew out of Toronto on the same dates and used a package deal with Sunwing (includes airfare, accommodation, and rental car) It worked out to be a really good deal!

We flew out of Detroit with Spirit Airlines Mon to Mon. cost in CAD worked out to be around $161 per person one way. This is with all extra costs. If the price is right we will use them again. This was our 7th March break trip and the highest that we have paid! We always travel to the States for our flights and never had issues with weather. My friend flew out of Toronto on the same dates and used a package deal with Sunwing (includes airfare, accommodation, and rental car) It worked out to be a really good deal!

Wow...that's great cost good. It looks like Spirit is limited in days but if works, then that's good. They are reliable?

Yes it could take 6 weeks from the start of the process, so maybe that will not help you. One thing about Westjet is the last couple of years is that they delayed releasing the March break fares. That is the creeping calendar just stops with no notice when the flights will be released. Very frustrating as it means being up early and on the computer for several days waiting to book! Also they may only have 8 to 12 cheaper fares per flight and then the fare price increases. Good luck I hope you can get some decent fares.

I see what you mean. I've been watching flights and WestJet from their site and they have been sitting on Feb 13th as their last release date for awhile now. Do they eventually start releasing one day at a time? Or will they eventually release the next batch of dates? Air Canada (which is already past our date), Delta, United, American Airlines release daily, and are ahead in their release dates and in range Feb 20-26.
PS - But as commented before, Expedia has WestJet flights up to Feb 20th which is odd.

PS - But as commented before, Expedia has WestJet flights up to Feb 20th which is odd.

Can you actually book it through Expedia though? That happened to me when I was trying to book our Dec trip. The dates on the Westjet site suddenly stopped for several days. I saw that Expedia was able to book WJ out further and I attempted to do so on Expedia (just to get an idea of the cost, not to actually book), but it would give me an error whenever I chose a date that was not available yet on the WJ site.

I see what you mean. I've been watching flights and WestJet from their site and they have been sitting on Feb 13th as their last release date for awhile now. Do they eventually start releasing one day at a time? Or will they eventually release the next batch of dates? Air Canada (which is already past our date), Delta, United, American Airlines release daily, and are ahead in their release dates and in range Feb 20-26.
They usually release a two week block and then go back to the creeping calendar!

Can you actually book it through Expedia though? That happened to me when I was trying to book our Dec trip. The dates on the Westjet site suddenly stopped for several days. I saw that Expedia was able to book WJ out further and I attempted to do so on Expedia (just to get an idea of the cost, not to actually book), but it would give me an error whenever I chose a date that was not available yet on the WJ site.

You're right. If I select the WestJet flight to see the total, then it says to try again. Didn't try selecting it before. Thanks.

They usually release a two week block and then go back to the creeping calendar!

Thanks. Good to know what to expect. Hopefully soon they'll release the next block (which still won't reach our dates).

It's such a game...not knowing which airline in the end will have the best price...do you hold out and wait for a certain airline (especially if no special card or rewards program) or just book at current flights showing.

It sure does seem like a game and the Airlines usually win! Once we decide that we are flying out of Pearson I book as soon as I can especially for March Break and Christmas. Some years we do great, sometimes not so good. I also try to lower costs on car rentals and hotels if I do not get the best flight deals. You are doing great just by getting ready and doing research! And once the flights are booked, the fun planning can start!

The *Creeping Calendar* slid to Feb 18--I was thinking it was stuck at one point.
Hugs Mel

I noticed that too. :-)
Funny enough, at first I couldnt' figure out why it went 'backwards' as now it's only showing to Tuesday, whereas before it was Wednesday...then noticed it advanced to the next week.

On the topic of booking WestJet far in advance, just be aware that WestJet has a history of "finalizing" their schedules seasonally, often well after they've started selling tickets for those flights. So sometimes flights get cancelled and rebooked or moved. If they change your flight you will have the option of choosing any other flight to your destination without charge, but that's not much consolation if you paid a premium for a direct flight and it gets cancelled.

I usually much prefer WestJet and would book them anyway, but this is just something I keep in mind when I'm looking at prices and itineraries.

Thanks for the warning about WestJet. That is concerning..especially when travelling to catch a cruise, as in our case (i.e. when you must get there for a certain date....or on the way back, you cannot leave before say 11:30am).

Do others fine WestJet cheaper than other airlines or about the same (for those of us that don't have rewards)? It's the most behind so not sure whether it's worth waiting for them to release.

Hi again! We have had both Air Canada and WestJet change flight times. The most was half an hour earlier so it did not affect are plans. Are you cruising out of Port Canaveral? And are you going home right after the cruise?

Thanks for the warning about WestJet. That is concerning..especially when travelling to catch a cruise, as in our case (i.e. when you must get there for a certain date....or on the way back, you cannot leave before say 11:30am).

Do others fine WestJet cheaper than other airlines or about the same (for those of us that don't have rewards)? It's the most behind so not sure whether it's worth waiting for them to release.

Hi hon
If i had my choice I would fly WestJet,(I do get first bag free and use my WestJet Dollars to lower the price).,but if Air Canada posts their flight before WestJet and the prices were what I could live with I'd go with Air Canada. My March Break 2018 was booked on Air Canada due to cheaper flights even with baggage included.

Hugs Mel

I think if you can book early the first day with WJ you will do well, AC fares for March Break are quite high!

Hi again! We have had both Air Canada and WestJet change flight times. The most was half an hour earlier so it did not affect are plans. Are you cruising out of Port Canaveral? And are you going home right after the cruise?

Actually we're cruising out of Miami (Royal cruise). The plan is to return home afterwards, but it's a Sat to Sat cruise so we could leave Sun if it makes a difference flight-wise. Thanks...30 minute time change then isn't a big deal.
I agree..from what I'm seeing with Air Canada (as these are already out), the direct flights are quite pricey at $570 for ONE WAY (and there are 4 of us). SO hoping to do better.

Creeping calendar actually did something weird --instead if creeping up it just added a day in Feb
Feb 26

Hugs Mel

Just checked the WestJet calendar and it has changed again....................

Feb 19-25 is sold out--I've actually never seen that printed on their calendar before.

Hugs Mel

Sold out? I'm seeing those inbetween dates as N/A but it seems to be all around. We're flying to MIA but if I check Fort Lauderdale or Orlando, it shows the same. Is that maybe reading week or something somewhere they are holding out for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter