mardi gras experiences

kschafer

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done either of the offerings? There is one that appears to include hors d'oeuvres, dessert and drinks with viewing for 2 things and another that is dinner, dessert and drinks with viewing for 1 event. I'm a little fuzzy on what this actually means so anyone with some insight would be appreciated!

Been meaning to do the crawfish boil - but have not - will do it this year.
On the nights of the crawfish boil they dont have the dessert party - I feel like teh boil might be a better value - especially if your a passholder and get the discount.

If you search youtube one of the bloggers did a review of it - but as he admitted he got it for free from Universal to blog on it.
He is not really not into seafood at all - but at least you can get an idea of it.
If you dont like Crawfish I would not recommend it based on what I saw

There are a few reports here about the Mardi Gras dessert party last year (although it is different this year)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/mardi-gras-dessert-party-worth-doing.3737383/
Tim Tracker vlogged the Crawfish boil last year and the most recent Sweets & Sounds dessert party (which seems how they are doing dessert parties this year). (You would have to look it up on YouTube)

I really enjoyed the dessert party last year, but it is not an option for us this year as it only seems to be March (and we are going in Feb). I will say that I enjoyed getting beverages and meeting characters before the parade in the parade spot and then moving to Central Park and having dessert outside. I don't think I would enjoy it as much doing the food and beverage inside and THEN watching the parade and THEN going to Central Park (which seems to be the set-up this year).

From our experience, it was not hard to get a spot to watch the parade or the Cinematic Spectacular.

Jumping on this thread. First time visit during Mardi Gras. What do I not want to miss? Is that $60 lanyard worth the price. Are the portions good size or bite size? Thanks.

Jumping on this thread. First time visit during Mardi Gras. What do I not want to miss? Is that $60 lanyard worth the price. Are the portions good size or bite size? Thanks.
We didn't have a chance to eat any of the food because we did the dessert party and ate at restaurants the rest of the time. I would say not to miss the parade...it really is a lot of fun (and we are a family that doesn't generally love parades)

I thought it was worth it - I had the AP Lanyard so it was 15 items for 60 - that works out to $4 each
Food Items are tasting size - but this saved money and its easier to use the lanyard then pay every time IMO
Just be careful how you use it.
Not worth using for beers as its a beer sample. Cocktails seemed ok - still a sample but fine.
Saved money on the food items so if your going to sample anyway this is a good way to do it IMO
I'll buy it again this year.

We did the AP tasting lanyard last year, and are planning on using it again. Food items are the best use, especially poboys and gator bites (which were everyone's favorite in my family).

There was a small podium just outside of the food tent area where you could buy lanyards. I know there are other places too.

FYI - TimTracker on youtube had a preview of the food at Mardi Gras this year as well as some of the new floats and the tribute store .
I'm sure there will be others posted as well as this was the press preview a day or two ago

One thing that was interesting is a rotating food stand - it will be a different country every couple of weeks .

Last edited:
I wondered if the events sold out early? Considering the events- mostly for the parade viewing but am not upgrading tickets to annual pass until we arrive, so wouldn't be able to get the discount until then.

I wondered if the events sold out early? Considering the events- mostly for the parade viewing but am not upgrading tickets to annual pass until we arrive, so wouldn't be able to get the discount until then.
I'm pretty much in the same boat as I am currently between passes, but from what I saw last March they were always selling the events on the day of.
I dont think they sell out in advance like HHN events.

FYI - TimTracker on youtube had a preview of the food at Mardi Gras this year as well as some of the new floats and the tribute store .
I'm sure there will be others posted as well as this was the press preview a day or two ago

One thing that was interesting is a rotating food stand - it will be a different country every couple of weeks .
DIS Unplugged did as well (since they are affiliated with this forum)

We did the AP tasting lanyard last year, and are planning on using it again. Food items are the best use, especially poboys and gator bites (which were everyone's favorite in my family).
I saw Tim the tracker's review on the food and I plan on upgrading my tix to an AP then purchasing the AP lanyard. Can it be shared? and it was mentioned that it can be used as snack credits outside of the Mardi Gras area. does anyone know where and what you can use it for?

I saw Tim the tracker's review on the food and I plan on upgrading my tix to an AP then purchasing the AP lanyard. Can it be shared? and it was mentioned that it can be used as snack credits outside of the Mardi Gras area. does anyone know where and what you can use it for?
Yes it can be shared, no restrictions on how you use the credits on the lanyard. And it can be used for snack credits, for popcorn, pretzels, and bottled beverages I believe, but those are basically the same price as the credits cost with the AP lanyard, so for max value use it up in the mardi gras tent.

I want to like the seafood boil idea but the crawfish is a deal breaker for me

can’t give good reviews on past special event food offerings. Hopefully, U will continue to up their game

in the fence for this Sunday whether U or SW (like their festival food offerings the best of all the parks) but prefer the band that day at U Nice to have a choice

Didn’t go last year but can’t say I’ve had any major issues getting a parade spot half hour or so early, unless a wildly popular group the concerts do seem to draw different demographics, some huge crowds so YMMV

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/events/mardi-gras

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!