Mardi Gras Festivities at Universal!

ForMyBoys

DIS Veteran
We are traveling to Universal over Easter. I just saw the email from universal about Mardi Gras celebrations. See copy/paste below. This is awesome! My 14 year old had mentioned wanting to go to Mardi Gras and while I know this isn’t the same it still brings some fun and flavor to our vacation. So fun!!

It's Florida's Biggest Party

Every Night From Feb. 3–Apr. 7, 2018

Experience an authentic New Orleans celebration filled with dazzling entertainment at Universal Studios Florida™. Enjoy parades each night with outrageous street performers, colorful costumes and countless beads flying through the air. Hear tunes from authentic New Orleans bands and chow down on mouthwatering Cajun food available for purchase. Plus, on select nights you can catch some of the biggest names in music live in concert. It’s unforgettable springtime fun for everyone.

The parade is amazing and just as good as anything you'd see in New Orleans. They also take volunteers to ride on the parades and throw beads. Sometimes this is limited to Annual Pass Holders, but during slower periods, they open it up to others as well.

I stayed onsite at rpr.
i had 3 messages on my room phone of asking if i wanted to volunteer to work on the float throwing out beads.....

talked to others at the hotel and they too said they received the messages.
think it is common for extending the invitation to hotel guests

i did receive emails about ap holders being able to volunteer to be on the floats for bead tossing.

i prefered being in the streets catching beads instead of on the float tossing them

I stayed onsite at rpr.
i had 3 messages on my room phone of asking if i wanted to volunteer to work on the float throwing out beads.....

i did receive emails about ap holders being able to volunteer to be on the floats for bead tossing.

i prefered being in the streets catching beads instead of on the float tossing them

That is so cool! Since we will be there for a week I imagine we'll be able to do both if they let us. Toss for one day, and watch it on another day. Plus DH is super excited about Cajun food offerings.

I just realized we`ll be there for Mardi Gras this year!!!!!!

I didn't realise when we booked the flights.........yay!

And I too like the sound of the Cajun food.......lush!!!

I stayed onsite at rpr.

Wow! I do agree catching the beads is really fun, but to be on the float would be great! We were there last year at HRH but didn't get any invitations!

I was there at rpr for opening night of Mardi Gras this year

First time in about 3 years since I last went to Mardi Gras
Don't know how recruiting hotel guests went last year

A number of years ago, we took my then 14 and 16 year olds to Universal during their Mardi Gras celebration. I had no idea it was going on at the time. DD, (ex) DH and I watched the parade, ate Jambalya and caught beads while DS decided to wait for the Jay J concert. Both enjoyed their choices. I could not get those songs out of my head from the parade for days.

About the only thing I don't like about Mardi Gras is you have to choose between the parade and the concert. You can't really get a good spot for both so it's either or. If you don't care about the concert its an easy choice.

I rarely stay for the concert unless it's someone I really want to see but there haven't been any concerts in the past year or two that I felt the need to see. I've been to see Pat Benatar several times, B-52s, Heart several times, Kelly Clarkson and a few others so I've seen some good shows. once you do the parade you can concentrate on the concert.

About the only thing I don't like about Mardi Gras is you have to choose between the parade and the concert. You can't really get a good spot for both so it's either or. If you don't care about the concert its an easy choice.

I rarely stay for the concert unless it's someone I really want to see but there haven't been any concerts in the past year or two that I felt the need to see. I've been to see Pat Benatar several times, B-52s, Heart several times, Kelly Clarkson and a few others so I've seen some good shows. once you do the parade you can concentrate on the concert.

Good to know.

Not interested in concerts.......we want to see the fun!!!! And beads........:D

Are the parades and concerts every night? Looking at February 11-14
Last year they changed the parade to nightly but the major concerts are only on weekend nights (Friday - Sunday). They have done some of the local bands in the NY area of the park which is where the food stalls will be located...some of those groups are really good but not big time famous.

I'm thinking of going opening night if it's a concert I am semi-interested in (otherwise I'll go the next night). I don't need to be close - I mostly like to hear live music, I don't need to see the performers up close. I also don't want to be stuck far from the exit when the concert is over. So I was thinking that the best place to watch the parade would be at the corner near Shrek - it looks like the closest place to both the exit and the concert.

I just realized we`ll be there for Mardi Gras this year!!!!!!

I didn't realise when we booked the flights.........yay!

And I too like the sound of the Cajun food.......lush!!!

We were on the float last year opening weekend...and hoping to be again this year again...Maybe we'll have the honor of tossing beads your way! With lots of extras as thanks for your wonderful TRs :D

We were on the float last year opening weekend...and hoping to be again this year again...Maybe we'll have the honor of tossing beads your way! With lots of extras as thanks for your wonderful TRs :D

lol.........Gimme a shout if you see me..........I`ll look out for you :wave2:........hope you do get to be on the floats again......

And thank you.......:goodvibes I`m so happy you enjoyed reading it.........::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!