Marine Corp Marathon

pigletliz

DIS Veteran
Whoo Hoo! I gained entry to the Marine Corp Marathon this morning, so I am super excited. Any past participant have any helpful tips to share? Is the first timer rally fun? How is it for a middle of the pack runner?

Thanks!

Congratulations on getting in! I didn't enter this year's lottery--as we get closer to the transfer period I might seek out a bib to buy.

Marine Corps was my first marathon, I did it in 2013. I finished in about 4:32. It was SUPER crowded--to the point where I felt "boxed in" the first 10 miles! Also, I was in the porta potty line when the start officially began :( I made my way over to the start line and the corrals weren't very evident. It was more like just a huge mob of people "oozing" over the start line--not at all like how organized Disney races are.

Still, it was a GREAT race---TONS of crowd support, about the only place there isn't crowd support is at the bridge around mile 20. I also love all the Marines there cheering you through--my husband is a Marine :)

Congratulations on getting in! I didn't enter this year's lottery--as we get closer to the transfer period I might seek out a bib to buy.

Marine Corps was my first marathon, I did it in 2013. I finished in about 4:32. It was SUPER crowded--to the point where I felt "boxed in" the first 10 miles! Also, I was in the porta potty line when the start officially began :( I made my way over to the start line and the corrals weren't very evident. It was more like just a huge mob of people "oozing" over the start line--not at all like how organized Disney races are.

Still, it was a GREAT race---TONS of crowd support, about the only place there isn't crowd support is at the bridge around mile 20. I also love all the Marines there cheering you through--my husband is a Marine :)

Thanks VAfamily1998! Being super crowded for that long is really good information. It is by far the largest race that I've ever attempted. We definitely get spoiled by Disney's organization, but I am so excited! I absolutely love that area. I just need to keep doing hill work for that bridge.

Thanks to you and your husband for his (and your) service.

pigletliz---congrats on getting in. The MCM is really a great event. I ran it in 2013 as well. Everything from the paratroopers dropping out of the sky with giant American flags as the National Anthem is sung to having a Marine give you your medal and salute you after you finish was fantastic. Very well organized. It's a great way to see a lot of landmarks in DC. Mostly flat course, first few miles in Rossyln have a few hills and obviously the last 2/10 of a mile is uphill at the finish. Plenty of Marines positioned on the course to bark out encouragement.

My tip would be to select your packet pickup and expo visit time carefully. We went on Saturday and it was nearly a 3 hour wait to get our bibs.

Last edited:

My son ran in 2013. It was a great race as as spectator! We saw him 7 times on the course! Metro was fabulous! I agree about the wait to get packet- crazy! The whole experience was very moving. If the courses the same, the last mile is a huge hill- we stood at the curve before the climb and heard lots of 4 letter words muttered.

Congrats and good luck!!

pigletliz---congrats on getting in. The MCM is really a great event. I ran it in 2013 as well. Everything from the paratroopers dropping out of the sky with giant American flags as the National Anthem is sung to having a Marine give you your medal and salute you after you finish was fantastic. Very well organized. It's a great way to see a lot of landmarks in DC. Mostly flat course, first few miles in Rossyln have a few hills and obviously the last 2/10 of a mile is uphill at the finish. Plenty of Marines positioned on the course to bark out encouragement.

My tip would be to select your packet pickup and expo visit time carefully. We went on a Friday and it was nearly a 3 hour wait to get our bibs.
Funny, I went on Friday too (during the day) and had no wait at all...were you there at night?

My tip would be to select your packet pickup and expo visit time carefully. We went on Saturday and it was nearly a 3 hour wait to get our bibs.

Thanks! That sounds absolutely amazing! I'm hoping the monuments will distract me from the miles.

Three hour bib pick up! Wow. Did you go late?

Last edited:
My son ran in 2013. It was a great race as as spectator! We saw him 7 times on the course! Metro was fabulous! I agree about the wait to get packet- crazy! The whole experience was very moving. If the courses the same, the last mile is a huge hill- we stood at the curve before the climb and heard lots of 4 letter words muttered.

Congrats and good luck!!

Thanks! That's great that you were able to see him so many times. I love when my course support (aka sisters and daughter) can move around. My husband is not as good at it... yet :) I always wonder if course designers laugh when they throw in a huge hill at the end. I'll probably have the 4 letter words in my head ;)

Oh, I just wanted to mention that my very favorite course entertainment was a group of all women drummers called "Batala." They are right before "the bridge." If you haven't heard of them, look up some of the videos on youtube. Probably one of my favorite parts of the whole race. Actually, just thinking about it makes me want to seek out a bib once transfers are open! :)

Oh, I just wanted to mention that my very favorite course entertainment was a group of all women drummers called "Batala." They are right before "the bridge." If you haven't heard of them, look up some of the videos on youtube. Probably one of my favorite parts of the whole race. Actually, just thinking about it makes me want to seek out a bib once transfers are open! :)

Thanks for this! I just looked them up. I think they are the same group they used for the Nike DC Half. They were incredible and had such energy! Glad to know I will be able to hear the beat going up the bridge.

Bib transfer is very cool idea. I see that people are already making requests on the Face book page.

Thanks for this! I just looked them up. I think they are the same group they used for the Nike DC Half. They were incredible and had such energy! Glad to know I will be able to hear the beat going up the bridge.

Bib transfer is very cool idea. I see that people are already making requests on the Face book page.

Yes, I wish Disney would do it!
I actually got my 2013 bib via transfer--a neighbor got injured and couldn't run, so I made a last minute purchase :)

Are you in the DC area Pigletliz? I am in NoVA (Prince William County)

Unfortunately not. I'm a former east coaster living in Southern California. One of my sisters lives in Prince William County and the other works in DC, so I play tourist whenever I can. Such a beautiful and historic area.

Yes, I wish Disney would do it!
I actually got my 2013 bib via transfer--a neighbor got injured and couldn't run, so I made a last minute purchase :)

I think Disney just has too many moving parts at the moment. A small staff, multiple race dates and multiple race types. Perhaps once they finalize the races on both coasts. It would certainly be nice for the runners.

I got in as well. It'll be my first MCM and 3rd marathon overall. I am running with a friend who has run it previously. We were pleasantly surprised to find out we'd both gotten in when we got the alerts this morning. My wife is a Georgetown alum, so she's super excited about any excuse to go back to DC.

I got in as well. It'll be my first MCM and 3rd marathon overall. I am running with a friend who has run it previously. We were pleasantly surprised to find out we'd both gotten in when we got the alerts this morning. My wife is a Georgetown alum, so she's super excited about any excuse to go back to DC.

Congratulations! Wonderful that both you and your friend got in.

I was in that long wait too but I think they had a power outage or something that really messed things up if I remember correctly. The two previous years I did it there was hardly no wait at all.

Great race with great support on the course. It's my favorite marathon.

This will be my third MCM. I think the packet pick-up issue is really a matter of timing. My first year I went late afternoon on Thursday and didn't have much of a wait, last year I went for the opening and ended up in a long line that just got longer by the time I left. I'll probably go first thing again just to get it over with and not have to worry about it. Like Disney, the rush for the official merchandise is amazing, and this year is the 40th, so will probably be bigger than usual.

For the race - that first mile is crazy. The corrals are not assigned, so you have to self-seed and hope the people around you have put themselves in the right corral. I just use that bit to make sure I got out slow and wait until things open up after the big Rosslyn uphill before I pick up my pace. Don't be like the yahoo near me last year who got impatient, bounded up onto the grass median loudly grumbling his disdain for us slow runners and promptly stumbled in a hole and rolled into a sign post. Ended his race less than a quarter mile in.

The distances you have to walk before and after the race are deceptive. Bag drop is in the Pentagon parking lot...but you have to get there and the slog from the street or the metro is significant, then you still need to cross the giant parking lot and work your way up the freeway to your corral. It will take longer then you think it will, so plan for that. Same thing at the end of the race. You cross the finish, get your medal, pic with the monument, and food...then you have a long forced march partly uphill to get to a place where you can meet up with others. The metro is a great way to get around but the platforms will be jam packed with people and they sometimes close the stations when they get to capacity at the end of the race. Last year I bought a parking spot just outside the finisher's village with Parking Panda and parked there Saturday evening so it was just a quck walk to the car at the end of the race. Way easier than waiting for a shuttle or to get into the metro station.

There's great support everywhere but the threee-ish miles on the 14th St Bridge, which is pretty empty. I carried my own water both times and that's the only place I actually used it.

I was in that long wait too but I think they had a power outage or something that really messed things up if I remember correctly. The two previous years I did it there was hardly no wait at all.

Great race with great support on the course. It's my favorite marathon.

Thanks for the information croach! Glad to hear that the wait may have been an anomaly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter