Marine Corps Marathon 2020

dta87

DIS Veteran
The MCM just opened up a new challenge for 2020 allowing up to 4000 people to bypass the MCM lottery. It is a great option if you can make 2 trips to DC next year. The medal sounds pretty neat too "SPECIAL NOTE: We will receive from the Iwo Jima Veterans Association the Volcanic Ash / Black Sand, from the island of Iwo Jima, Mount Suribachi, Japan. It will be placed inside the 45th MCM Medal presented to all finishers. "

https://www.marinemarathon.com/blog/challenge-opens-november-1

Thank you so much!

I just looked up registering last week and it looked like the other inexpensive pathway to guaranteed registration (17.75k) was sold out already. I would've not heard about this in time without your post!

@Novatrix I have done the 17.75k once and the registration for that makes runDisney registration seem tame. The year I got in it sold out in less than 8 minutes. I am truly surprised that this is still available probably because it is new and nobody is looking for it. FYI: I think the "sold out" indicator is for the 2019 run, the registration for the 2020 run will not open until about a month out (end of Feb) from the run (end of Mar).

I have done 5 different MC run events and they have all been outstanding. I am glad this post helped you.

Wow - thanks so much for this. Had the MCM on my 2020 running wish list but wasn't looking forward to having to jump into the lottery and cross my fingers. Living in NC, a quick drive up north to do the Historic Half too is definitely doable. All signed up - thanks again for posting this!

@Novatrix
I have done 5 different MC run events and they have all been outstanding. I am glad this post helped you.

Having done the MCM 5 times, do you have any recommendations for 1st timers?

Also, if you have any experience staying in hotels for the event, do you have a recommendation for which area to stay in? Typically, for the Army 10 miler I stay in Crystal City but I don't know how convenient that is to the marathon.

Thank you so much!

I just looked up registering last week and it looked like the other inexpensive pathway to guaranteed registration (17.75k) was sold out already. I would've not heard about this in time without your post!

I don't believe the 17.75k for 2020 has opened yet. The 2019 17.75k registration date was in February. That being said, I signed up for the challenge. MCM is a great race!

Also, if you have any experience staying in hotels for the event, do you have a recommendation for which area to stay in? Typically, for the Army 10 miler I stay in Crystal City but I don't know how convenient that is to the marathon.

Not the OP but when I've done MCM I've always stayed in the Rosslyn area. Close to the finish and some people I know walk to the start( I always used the Metro though).

I did the MCM and stayed in Crystal City. Metro is running at that time and there were buses too. There's several Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott Arlington Capital View. Everyone is up and about at that time, directing you here, there. We all end up in the same place at the starting point. Dress in layers. And hopefully see you this year. I'm registered for 2020.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!