Masks?

You can use vacuum bags as well, if you have any :) I guess most people have bagless ones now? But might be easy to find somewhere. I read people were using coffee filters as well.

One of my SILs made each of us two 2-ply cotton masks with a slot in between to put in a filter of some sort. Really appreciate her thoughtfulness. I still need to wash them thoroughly before wearing. The cloth one I bought is too tight and it hurts my nose and the back of my ears when I wear it for too long. I am not sure what to use as the filter. SIL is using two layers of paper towel. I think anything is better than nothing.
Personal wipes when dried out can be used as a filter also if you can get to a fabric store interfacing (used in clothing construction) is a great reusable filter. The filters will make the mask hotter and make it a little more difficult to breathe through. I just use the 2 ply cotton mask on its own and physically distance as much as possible when in a store.

Personal wipes when dried out can be used as a filter also if you can get to a fabric store interfacing (used in clothing construction) is a great reusable filter. The filters will make the mask hotter and make it a little more difficult to breathe through. I just use the 2 ply cotton mask on its own and physically distance as much as possible when in a store.

Like you, for now, I only wear my 2-ply cotton masks without a filter. I prefer to be comfortable and breath well so I will wear one the whole time I need one vs have problems breathing and decide to remove it as soon as I can. Since I need to wear for the whole time I'm at work unless I work alone in my CL2 room (ironically with pathogens), I need to breath well. I personally think that a good fit is more important than a filter. Obviously, a good fit AND a filter would be the ideal but it might not be realistic for everyone.

For those that want to add a layer, here's something I found on an internet search. Next time I purchase masks I might look for this combination of fabric.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200424081648.htm

I have also heard of people using coffee filters as mask filters, but I don't know if that works or not.

Has anyone use those paper/disposable masks? I'm just curious if they are much more breathable then the cloth homemade masks.

Has anyone use those paper/disposable masks? I'm just curious if they are much more breathable then the cloth homemade masks.
I have both and I feel it hard to breathe in both - my hot breath with no where to escape makes me feel claustrophobic. The one advantage the paper masks have for me is that there is a small wire on one side that you can mold to your nose so your breath doesn't come back up into your eyes/glasses. I know it seems extreme but i am looking at those clear face shields that I see people wearing.

I have both and I feel it hard to breathe in both - my hot breath with no where to escape makes me feel claustrophobic. The one advantage the paper masks have for me is that there is a small wire on one side that you can mold to your nose so your breath doesn't come back up into your eyes/glasses. I know it seems extreme but i am looking at those clear face shields that I see people wearing.

I have seen those too and am wondering how effective they are?
Hugs
Mel

My mom made some masks with the wire at the nose and they are pretty comfy. I was just wondering if the material was that much lighter.

I don’t have any masks, and have not been wearing them. I would say when I’m out at the grocery store, about 20 % of people wear them, but it’s not mandatory where I live. I keep my distance and sanitize constantly when I’m out.
My friend is an ICU nurse and she said she only wears a mask at work. You should absolutely wear one if you feel more comfortable or it’s required where you live.
If I had to order some I would probably get the fabric reusable ones so I could re-wash them. I’ve seen some people with dirty looking single use masks...

Yea I haven't had to REALLY wear one yet as I tend to grocery shop, etc at odd times of the day. I do always bring one in my purse just in case. But where stores are limiting the number of people in there anyways, I don't find it overly congested. I literally hate them, but I am trying to get used to it a little at a time.

In Montreal it's not mandatory (yet!) but the Premier and our Public Health asked that we wear one in public as much as possible, especially when taking public transportation. So, I now wear my cotton mask when I go anywhere indoor. Today, the Greater Montreal is starting to re-open. I was expecting a lot more people in the commuter train so I had my mask on when the train pulled into my station. Well, I was all by myself in the train car. I removed my mask. My colleague said they were 5 in his on an earlier train. Not complaining since it's usually very busy (pre-COVID-19).

Now that masks are mandatory at work when I'm working in the general lab space (open concept), I can say there's no way I would wear one for a full day. My max is 3-4h with one then I change it for a clean one. It just becomes too wet and uncomfortable after a few hours. Right now, I have 2 re-usable masks that I wash after each usage and I am waiting for 4 more masks. Hopefully, they are not lost in the mail between Quebec city and Montreal!

I just ordered these from Amazon. I have the shaded ones made in Korea that I use when I go outdoor for UV protection. I wore it once to shopping but it was a bit dark to use indoor. I hope these are durable. The shaded ones break easily. I am planning to wear this with a mask for more protection.

Visor cap with clear shield

2575DDB7-8EDB-4244-A5EA-9BB75A44E131.jpeg

Still waiting on my online orders including my old navy ca order. Very few people wearing masks in my grocery stores in smaller Ontario city. However, this will change and understand will become a social priority. I have seen a few seniors wearing the shields. Have also seen a few people desperate for something: in Walmart 2 wks ago saw a senior with a coffee filter duct taped to his face. Rounded the corner and found him. No one laughing as situation is much too serious esp for seniors with health issues. While waiting to enter the Beer Store last week, watched a senior walk out with his 2-4 wearing what looked like 2 or 3 large plastic pop bottles cut and duct taped to his head and face. Again, silence. No one in line said a word. Think everyone respects others worries, fears and attempts to protect themselves. What a change a few months has wrought.

I wear a mask wherever I go into any store, as soon as I park the car I sanitize my hands, tie it on, adjust the nose wire, put my glasses on and head towards the store. Several of the stores in our city have signs asking people to consider wearing one and our Longos was the first of the chain that requires one. I've made a ton of them for myself and my hubby (even made some with his company logo on them for when clients insist he comes in person) so that I can decide when I want to wash them. I keep an empty milk bag ( the small one) in the car and stuff the dirty mask in as soon as I get back to the car. I raided my fabric stash, opened up bags that were waiting to get donated to pull out old curtains and cut up some sheets that never fit properly on our beds.

this image speaks to me, I know I'm not protecting myself by wearing a mask but rather I'm protecting others.
Screenshot_20200524-164351_Chrome.jpg
my favourite blogger posted this (lack of the letter U proves he's in the states)
received_270365097341847.png

I've use the throwaway ones. I often forget to pinch my nose wire. What I find is my breath is going in and out of my face and eyes. If anything, I worry that it's drawing any viral bits into my eyes. Also, it slips to the edge of my nose periodically.

It's not great to breathe in, but tolerable. I will say, if you were hyperventilating, I think it would be a good cure.

I just ordered these from Amazon. I have the shaded ones made in Korea that I use when I go outdoor for UV protection. I wore it once to shopping but it was a bit dark to use indoor. I hope these are durable. The shaded ones break easily. I am planning to wear this with a mask for more protection.

Visor cap with clear shield

View attachment 496984
I ordered a couple of these too! One that comes attached to a sun hat and one that comes attached to a baseball cap for DS for July if we end up being able to go to Disney.

Now- do you all think this style is going to be acceptable for the plane ride and at places that require masks at that point? It covers the face completely past the chin and I can’t imagine too many droplets getting out if one of us sneezes or coughs...likely less than with cloth, I would imagine.

I ordered a couple of these too! One that comes attached to a sun hat and one that comes attached to a baseball cap for DS for July if we end up being able to go to Disney.

Now- do you all think this style is going to be acceptable for the plane ride and at places that require masks at that point? It covers the face completely past the chin and I can’t imagine too many droplets getting out if one of us sneezes or coughs...likely less than with cloth, I would imagine.
I'd love it if this was the requirement, but I don't think it is. :(

I wore my shaded visor shield without wearing the mask when face covering was not widely required weeks ago. I didn’t have the cloth masks at that time. That’s why I wore just the visor. And then I SNEEZED in a store. I couldn’t cover my mouth when sneezing because the shield was covering my face. I felt so bad for spreading germs in some way though I didn’t have COVID-19. I think it’s for everyone’s safety to wear a mask still. It can be the thinner and more breathable ones just to have an additional barrier. I bought these to get myself ready for my WDW Christmas just in case I can’t cancel my DVC rental reservation. Delivery usually takes a couple of months. I will be wearing this from now whenever I am on a plane or in any type of public transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter