*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

Are all the towers running? Seems there have been a lot of days lately where a tower goes down (maybe it's the rain?) and when that happens, GotG backs up.

(Side note: 70 minute standby and FP almost gone at 11:30am on a Wednesday. Yikes.)
When I checked it yesterday (Tuesday) around lunchtime, GotG had a whopping 160-minute wait. RSR was showing a colossal 215 minutes. And both were out of FPs.

GOTG keeps running on reduced towers, so it’s throwing off FP availability.
I can confirm that GotG was only running 2 out of 6 elevators yeaterday! It took almost an hour to ride it with a FP yesterday morning 11:00-12:00!

Also grabbed RSR for 8:45-9:45 pm at 10:44 yesterday - which is exactly the time I wanted - but I think it shows RSR is running out a little earlier for Spring Break

I can confirm that GotG was only running 2 out of 6 elevators yeaterday! It took almost an hour to ride it with a FP yesterday morning 11:00-12:00!

Also grabbed RSR for 8:45-9:45 pm at 10:44 yesterday - which is exactly the time I wanted - but I think it shows RSR is running out a little earlier for Spring Break

Thanks for the information. We would like to ride RSR at night too so I have been checking the FP times and hoping that we can book one around 10 - 11am.

This 100% true, but when I have a group and one person gets tired and decides to call it a day, you can use that person's now used MP to look for cancellations. When you find a good one, you can cancel the remaining group's FPs and change to the cancelled one that just came available. Note that the larger your group, the less effective this is because when you see a cancellation on the unused MP, that may be only for one person - but it may be for more. You do not know until you cancel the MPs for the remaining group.

:wizard:
I'd be impressed by anyone that can pull this off before the cancellation gets snapped up. I've had four times in the past month that I've clicked on a cancellation to find it gone by the time I confirm it - and this is when I'm in "continual refresh" mode and clicking quickly. I think Maxpass usage is increasing, and cancellations move more quickly (although not always - a TSMM lasted for two full minutes on my last trip; I just couldn't grab it because we already had TSMM).

I've noticed that Guardians has also been running out much faster than anything other than RSR. But not EVERY day. But today for instance, it is 11:35 and they are distributing for 9:15 with a 10pm closing. I think it might belong in the tier 2. Space is the next closest and is still handing them our for 3:35. *edit* Actually Toy Story is the next closest, handing out for 5pm.
Just to clarify, what's happening with GOTG is what was referenced in the OP as happening with Star Tours last year - it's running at reduced capacity and acting like the rides in Group 2 when it's not normally one. We rode it last Thursday and all towers were operating, though - had a FP for 10:50 and walked straight on with zero wait - so it's inconsistent.

@Skyegirl1999, I just reread your modified OP and suggest you say something about GOTG:MAD at Halloween. When I was there October before last it was a focus for me to get GOTG in then to have an MP window open to get MAD as soon as they became available (like at 3PM? I cannot remember).

Looks like MAD will be back again this year: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/at...guardians-galaxy-mission-breakout-after-dark/

Along these lines, it may be worthwhile to mention SMGG.

:wizard:
Good points. They changed the procedure for MAD between the first two years of it running, so I'll have to wait and see what they're doing with it this year to post accurate information. As for SMGG, my data from last year showed SM running out at that "Group 2" rate regardless of whether it was Hyperspace, normal Space, or GG - the exception being the first few or last few days of a particular version.

Right now, not-quite noon on Thursday, GotG and RSR are both showing two-hour wait times. However, oddly, GotG FPs are gone and RSR's still has some - return time is 8:25-9:25.

Right now, not-quite noon on Thursday, GotG and RSR are both showing two-hour wait times. However, oddly, GotG FPs are gone and RSR's still has some - return time is 8:25-9:25.
As mentioned above, GOTG is running on reduced towers, so they appear to be distributing a very limited number of FPs. GOTG was ahead of RSR by 9:30am.

I have read multiple posts about MaxPass but have not found the answer to my question. I am staying at a "good neighbor" hotel and purchased tickets from undercover tourist. I have the tickets linked to my Disney app but as I understand it, I cannot purchase MaxPass until after I enter the park for our first day. Is that correct? Will that become an option on my app once the tickets have been scanned? We will be there in just over a week so i am trying to think thru plans now where we aren't stuck wasting park time. Thank you in advance.

That's correct. And really it's nothing to stress over. It only takes a moment. Your 11 year old could probably do it for you. ;)

Great - thanks. Sounds simple but wanted to make sure I didn't need to do anything else. Thank you again.

As mentioned above, GOTG is running on reduced towers, so they appear to be distributing a very limited number of FPs. GOTG was ahead of RSR by 9:30am.

Is this a day by day per chance thing or are they doing it daily for a reason? I know WDW’s tower is running at reduced capacity and a planned refurb for GE, but have not heard the same for Guardians.i was hoping to ride this more times than any other ride since I only get out there every 3-5 years and I’ve never ridden it.

Is this a day by day per chance thing or are they doing it daily for a reason? I know WDW’s tower is running at reduced capacity and a planned refurb for GE, but have not heard the same for Guardians.
I’m not sure what’s going on with it. We rode today and all the towers were running.

I’m not sure what’s going on with it. We rode today and all the towers were running.
Do they run less towers on weekdays? Or for other rides, do they run them at lower capacity on the weekday? The wait times today were long, but manageable. This past week, I was checking and lines were consistently 100+ minutes. I went Thursday and lines were crazy then too. Thank goodness for maxpass. I don't normally go to the parks on the weekdays so I don't really know the crowd patterns for them too much.

Do they run less towers on weekdays? Or for other rides, do they run them at lower capacity on the weekday? The wait times today were long, but manageable. This past week, I was checking and lines were consistently 100+ minutes. I went Thursday and lines were crazy then too. Thank goodness for maxpass. I don't normally go to the parks on the weekdays so I don't really know the crowd patterns for them too much.
They usually run all the towers - I’m just not sure if the recent issues are resolved or if they’re going to continue to run at reduced capacity periodically.

We ride GOTG almost every week (it’s my daughter’s favorite ride), and it’s rare for a tower to be down.

Some rides do run at lower capacity when they expect lower crowds... but this is Spring Break time, so that’s not likely to be an issue right now. When they do run rides at reduced capacity, that’s when you see stuff like just running one side of Big Thunder, fewer boats out on rides like Storybook Land or Jungle Cruise, etc.

They usually run all the towers - I’m just not sure if the recent issues are resolved or if they’re going to continue to run at reduced capacity periodically.

We ride GOTG almost every week (it’s my daughter’s favorite ride), and it’s rare for a tower to be down.

Some rides do run at lower capacity when they expect lower crowds... but this is Spring Break time, so that’s not likely to be an issue right now. When they do run rides at reduced capacity, that’s when you see stuff like just running one side of Big Thunder, fewer boats out on rides like Storybook Land or Jungle Cruise, etc.
Sorry, but what is GOTG?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter