*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

We're going in March and planning on 3 days at DL and 1 day at DCA. Our DCA day will be a day that DL has Magic Morning. We will have MaxPass. Is there a high likelihood that we'll be able to get FPs for TSMM, GOTG and RSR? I'd love to do RSR at night if possible.

When we went on our first trip in Feb 2017, GOTG wasn't open yet and we found we really only needed one day. Is it possible that we should plan for 2 days at each park instead?

We're going in March and planning on 3 days at DL and 1 day at DCA. Our DCA day will be a day that DL has Magic Morning. We will have MaxPass. Is there a high likelihood that we'll be able to get FPs for TSMM, GOTG and RSR? I'd love to do RSR at night if possible.

When we went on our first trip in Feb 2017, GOTG wasn't open yet and we found we really only needed one day. Is it possible that we should plan for 2 days at each park instead?
We are going next week and have four park days. We decided to do 2 days at each park. We have two small boys (3 and 5) who are obsessed with superheroes and Pixar movies (and are actually much more familiar with those than many classic Disney movies), so we know they’ll have plenty to do in CA. I’d base your decision on whether your family/group is likely to be into the attractions in CA (thrill ride lovers, Pixar fans, etc.).

Thanks for your reply! Single rider is not an option for this one as we’ll be riding with my 6 year old (and maybe 2 year old if he grows a tiny bit taller in the next month!) we hope to use rider switch though. Thanks for confirming that the Maxpass and paper FP are the same return times- ill keep an eye on the return times on the app and when it gets close to 5pm return times I might dash across the park to try and get a paper FP. It seems like this happens pretty early in the day though so with any luck if we get a Toy Story FP and use it pretty promptly I’ll be open to get the RSR one before they run out!
What are your reasons for no maxpass? People with a 2 yo are prime candidates. Those little babes are just ready for a meltdown. One less transition to kiosk, off to do something, back again...will allow you to enjoy more of the park IME.

What are your reasons for no maxpass? People with a 2 yo are prime candidates. Those little babes are just ready for a meltdown. One less transition to kiosk, off to do something, back again...will allow you to enjoy more of the park IME.
Trying to save some $$$ We’ll definitely get maxpass our first day in DL but was hoping to just rely on paper FP for DCA as there arent as many FP rides that we’re keen on. Although it’s still an option. We’re coming from Australia as part of a bigger 2 week stay in California and the dollar is atrocious so just trying to maximize our value!

Something I have noticed that has added to fastpass backups lately. On Columbus Day, and this past Saturday (both busy days), people would purchase maxpass not knowing you had to choose your ride times. They would think maxpass automatically loaded fastpasses to your ticket and you would scan in. CM's would have to explain this to guests, and it would back the lines up. And of course some guests were frustrated b/c those particular rides would be out of fastpasses or have times very late in the day.

So moral of the story: always research before buying something lol

This is not our first rodeo with maxpass, and we’re pretty strategic with it. I SWEAR at least twice today when waiting the 90 minutes to choose again, it has bumped it up to 2 hours at some point. I got GOTG around 1:30, swear the page said “new selection at 3:01” and now it’s telling me 3:33. Happened this morning too. Anyone else noticed this? I feel like I’m going crazy so I’m going to take screenshots next time.

Worked as intended for me a couple days ago, except the Disneyland clock was 2 minutes behind my cell phone (AT&T) clock, which always caught me off guard when trying to make another selection. I also had a lot of times where the time had slid during the loading of selecting a time and then getting the pass. I don't mind five or ten minutes, but often if the return showed 3:10pm by the time I loaded the next screen it would say the time had changed and would now show like 7pm! I figured it was just a cancelled fastpast that I had missed out on but 9 times out of 10 returning to the main screen, selecting the same attraction, and loading the actual page to get a fastpast would return like a 3:30pm time, which was far more expected (probably two or three return windows had been filled in my screwing around time).

I also had a couple times where I got replacement fastpasses for attractions I'm almost positive didn't go down.

So either Disney servers are getting a little slow for how many people are using MaxPass, or the queue system they use isn't terribly well managed and if a bunch of people request at once it'll dump you into a really late bucket. I wouldn't mind some kind of estimated window on the main screen that showed all attractions (like 3pm to 4:30pm) and then the real time when you clicked on the attraction which held your spot in the queue for that time then for 30 seconds or something. (So then once you click it shows 3:15 to 4:15 return, etc).

This is not our first rodeo with maxpass, and we’re pretty strategic with it. I SWEAR at least twice today when waiting the 90 minutes to choose again, it has bumped it up to 2 hours at some point. I got GOTG around 1:30, swear the page said “new selection at 3:01” and now it’s telling me 3:33. Happened this morning too. Anyone else noticed this? I feel like I’m going crazy so I’m going to take screenshots next time.
Yep. I noticed that last week. I had a "next" time at 3:09, but it would let me book the next MP until around 3:20. ????

Added it each day right after we got in the park in August and most days had it added before we even walked through the arch under the railroad.

Biggest things are to make sure you have already entered your credit card in to the app (or updated if it's expired since you last trip etc), are already signed into the app before you enter the park, and you know the CVC code for your code so you are not fumbling with your credit card as you enter the park.

I have honestly always hopped when at DL, but if you aren't hopping, then I would imagine you can probably do most everything you want at DCA in a day.

Yep. I noticed that last week. I had a "next" time at 3:09, but it would let me book the next MP until around 3:20. ????

Glad it wasn't just me! I thought I was going nuts. It was just monday (10/28)...tuesday it seemed to work fine. Definitely busier on Monday though and maybe that's why? Not a trip ruiner by any means but kind of annoying when we pick and choose rides strategically.

Heading to Disneyland for the first time on 12/30 and 12/31. I know...it'll be crowded. We spent the last 10 years going to Disney World during Christmas week, so we're no strangers to the crazy crowds.

What we are strangers to is the FP system. We'll purchase MaxPass. I read up on the FP system and how you should look for the lowest wait times and keep booking, but I'm sure New Year's Eve (and Eve Eve) is a totally different animal.

I'm wondering if someone could layout a strategy for me. We'll have park hoppers, so we'll be able to bounce around. It's me, my sister, and my mom. My sister and I go on pretty much everything, but we'll look to go on things like Small World and Haunted Mansion for the holidays, and less intense rides and shows with my mom.

Appreciate all the help!

It depends on how many times you would like to go on each ride. Between the 2 parks, Fastpasses run out in roughly this order (this isn’t definite but it gives you an idea of what Fastpasses to prioritize):
Radiator Springs Racers
Hyperspace Mountain
Haunted Mansion Holiday
Matterhorn
Indiana Jones
Guardians of the Galaxy
Toy Story Mania
Soarin’
Splash Mountain (if it’s hot. If it’s cold they don’t run out very fast)
Star Tours
Incredicoaster
Roger Rabbit
Goofy’s Sky School
Grizzly River Run
Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear

Some rides have Single Rider lines. Some SR lines work well and some don’t. Hyperspace SR is fantastic, but it can close so you may want a FP for it just in case. I’ve heard the Star Tours SR line works well. Matterhorn works well sometimes but apparently it hasn’t been working super well recently because only one side is running. Indiana Jones SR is terrible. Splash SR is ok sometimes. Radiator Springs Racers is efficient but it can get very long during Christmas break (it was 80 minutes when we went in December 28-29, 2016). Incredicoaster SR is ok sometimes. Grizzly is always fast. I’m not sure about Goofy’s Sky School because I never go on it.

I’m order to get as many FPs as possible, here are a few suggestions.
1. Get your first Fastpass in the Park with extra magic hours (even if you don’t participate in EMH). The reason for this is that FP return times start earlier in that park. For example, if DL opens at 8 without EMH and DCA opens at 8 with EMH at 7, the first FP at DL will start at 8:30 but the first FP at DCA will start at 8. You usually can get your first FP about half an hour before the park opens (when you scan your ticket). So if you get your first FP at 7:30 and the return time is 8, you can get a new FP right at 8 rather than having to wait for 8:30. I hope that makes sense.
2. Always make sure to get a new FP right when you can. You can get a new FP after 90 minutes or the start of your next FP return time, whichever comes first. You have to wait 30 minutes minimum to get a new FP unless you use the one you just got. (For example, if it’s 9 and you get a FP for Buzz for 9:05, you technically can’t get a new FP until 9:30 but if you use the Buzz FP before 9:30, you can get a new FP right away) A couple minutes late each time adds up later in the day.
3. Bring a portable charger. Your phone will die if you use Maxpass and don’t have a portable charger. It’s not fun when that happens. I learned this the hard way. There are limited amounts of outlets available and they don’t like you to use them.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions 😀

Glad it wasn't just me! I thought I was going nuts. It was just monday (10/28)...tuesday it seemed to work fine. Definitely busier on Monday though and maybe that's why? Not a trip ruiner by any means but kind of annoying when we pick and choose rides strategically.
Right. I wasn't upset by it....just couldn't figure out if I was doing something wrong or they were having issues. It's Disneyland.....nothing much upsets me there.

It depends on how many times you would like to go on each ride. Between the 2 parks, Fastpasses run out in roughly this order (this isn’t definite but it gives you an idea of what Fastpasses to prioritize):
Radiator Springs Racers
Hyperspace Mountain
Haunted Mansion Holiday
Matterhorn
Indiana Jones
Guardians of the Galaxy
Toy Story Mania
Soarin’
Splash Mountain (if it’s hot. If it’s cold they don’t run out very fast)
Star Tours
Incredicoaster
Roger Rabbit
Goofy’s Sky School
Grizzly River Run
Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear

Some rides have Single Rider lines. Some SR lines work well and some don’t. Hyperspace SR is fantastic, but it can close so you may want a FP for it just in case. I’ve heard the Star Tours SR line works well. Matterhorn works well sometimes but apparently it hasn’t been working super well recently because only one side is running. Indiana Jones SR is terrible. Splash SR is ok sometimes. Radiator Springs Racers is efficient but it can get very long during Christmas break (it was 80 minutes when we went in December 28-29, 2016). Incredicoaster SR is ok sometimes. Grizzly is always fast. I’m not sure about Goofy’s Sky School because I never go on it.

I’m order to get as many FPs as possible, here are a few suggestions.
1. Get your first Fastpass in the Park with extra magic hours (even if you don’t participate in EMH). The reason for this is that FP return times start earlier in that park. For example, if DL opens at 8 without EMH and DCA opens at 8 with EMH at 7, the first FP at DL will start at 8:30 but the first FP at DCA will start at 8. You usually can get your first FP about half an hour before the park opens (when you scan your ticket). So if you get your first FP at 7:30 and the return time is 8, you can get a new FP right at 8 rather than having to wait for 8:30. I hope that makes sense.
2. Always make sure to get a new FP right when you can. You can get a new FP after 90 minutes or the start of your next FP return time, whichever comes first. You have to wait 30 minutes minimum to get a new FP unless you use the one you just got. (For example, if it’s 9 and you get a FP for Buzz for 9:05, you technically can’t get a new FP until 9:30 but if you use the Buzz FP before 9:30, you can get a new FP right away) A couple minutes late each time adds up later in the day.
3. Bring a portable charger. Your phone will die if you use Maxpass and don’t have a portable charger. It’s not fun when that happens. I learned this the hard way. There are limited amounts of outlets available and they don’t like you to use them.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions 😀

Appreciate the feedback. Is Space Mountain, Buzz, etc. similar to the WDW version?

With only 2 days and a good chance that the crowds are nuts, we wanna prioritize attractions we can’t see at WDW or that are different enough.

Was Writing up a mock itinerary. What do you think of this:

December 30th
7:30am: get into the park
- Grab FP for Spade Mountain
- Ride Space Mountain
- Grab FP for Haunted Mansion
- Ride Buzz
- Ride Haunted Mansion
- Grab FP for Matterhorn
- Ride Indiana Jones
- Ride Jungle Cruise
- Ride Pirates
- Ride Matterhorn FP (can swap these around depending on times)
- Get FP for Small World - Night
- Roger Rabbit
- Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
- Explore Toon Town
- Watch Parade?
- Photos in front of castle
- Get DCA FP - Incredicoaster/Guardians/TSM
- Get Beignets/Corn Dog or snack
- Head over time DCA
- Redeem FP for DCA ride
- Grab another DCA FP
- see a show/single rider for a ride
- Explore Park a little at Dusk
- Another FP ride
- head back to DL
6:20PM: Dinner at Blue Bayou
- Small World FP
- Fantasmic!
- Grab some snacks/photos on way out

December 31st
7:30am: get into the park
- Get FP for Radiator Springs
- Go on TS Mania
- Ride Radiator Springs
- Get FP for Guardians
- Cars Land - explore/get lunch?
- Watch shows
- Ride Guardians FP
- Do some more exploring/check DL FP situation?
- dinner reservation
- check out parties/NYE festivities?
- NYE

- is It worth trying to park hop at all?
- will we be able to park hop on NYE or don’t even bother?
- I’ve heard DCA is “better” crowd-wise on NYE - is there enough to do during an entire day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!