***May 2018 Check-In Thread***

tzeitel

Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda
I know it is only November but for me planning vacations is half the fun (ok, more like a quarter). We live in a small ski town and live for May & October - the off season :) We did not do our Halloween trip because we bought a place and had to do tons of work on it (plus move) by the end of October. So our APs lapsed :( but I am thinking of getting them again if we plan on going back in October anyway.

Here is some info I borrowed from figment_jii's calendar thread and some stuff I've found that we "May folks" might find interesting -

May 2018

*May the 4th Be With You (2016 Info) nothing yet but DAD SW Nite is May 3rd
*Tinkerbell Half Marathon [Cancelled]
*Grad Nites info from the Disney site - it has the prices and new ticket options for 2018 -
https://www.disneyyouth.com/programs/field-trips/dlr/grad-nite-disneyland/

School Breaks
  • May 21: Victoria Day (Some/Most British Columbia School Districts)
  • May 23: Last Day of School for Gilbert, Phoenix, Anchorage
  • May 24: Last Day of School for Mesa, Tuscon, Peoria, Deer Valley, Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Dysart, Clark County
  • May 25: Last Day of School for Elk Grove, Granite
  • May 28: Memorial Day (Most School Districts)
  • May 30: Last Day of School for Chandler
  • May 31: Last Day of School for Santa Ana, Alpine, Hawaii
Conventions
  • May 17-19 CA Dental Association
  • May 21-24 PaloAlto Networks Ignite 2018
  • May 25-27 CME Practical Pediatrics (at the GCH)
*conventions probably won't affect attendance in the parks but might affect room availability.

Promos

Pixar Fest info
Paint the Night info
Downtown Disney Closures

*Updated the calendar to add Bat Days date. Looks like Bats is now only on the 6th.
*Updated 01/01 to add Grad Night 2018 ticket option info.
*Updated 01/08 to add SoCal tix discount
*Updated 02/11 tix price increase
*Updated 02/22 Cove Bar info (Pixar Fest section)
*Updated 02/24 PtN viewing packages
*Updated 03/28 DtD closures & Disneyland After Dark info
*Updated 04/11 More Pixar Fest Food info
*Updated 4/22 Pixar Shorts Film Festival info
*Updated 5/14 Churro Challenge
*Thanks @wallawallakids & @BlueFairy for the convention info!

Last edited:
:rainbow:

Howry April 27 - May 4
9Cupcake9 April 29 - May 3
Tanner208 April 29 - May 4
nikerbokers April 30 - May 3
tania7424 May 1-4
mrjudkins May 1-5
beachdreamr1229 May 3-4
PamelaM May 4-9
Lm3js May 5
amyg1975 May 5-6
AnneK May 5-8
Chime May 5-9
Sjwillia May 5-11
ArielRae May 5-12
tzeitel May 5-14
mar7967 May 6-10
DisneylandPlanner May 12-13
Aimee_Jane83 13-23
DL_Forever May 18-22
juxtapose May 19-22
DnA2010 May 19-25
BlueFairy May 19-25
BrerMama May 19-26
darkhaund May 19-26
superme80 May 20-24
Geemo May 22-23
Just Peachy May 22-24
AquaDame May 23-27
wallawallakids May 23-28
tessiesevin May 26 - June 3
kkmcan May 27-28
mrsashbaugh May 27-June 3
AndreAggie May 28 - June 2
a_port90 May 28 -June 3
ebenmax May 30 - 31

Last edited:
We'll be there last week of May. We will probably try to work around grad nights. I don't have our exact dates for the parks yet, but we're staying at the Grand!! (I'm so excited!!) We're DVC members and we were able to snag a 2-bedroom villa for our multi-generation trip.

We'll be there last week of May. We will probably try to work around grad nights. I don't have our exact dates for the parks yet, but we're staying at the Grand!! (I'm so excited!!) We're DVC members and we were able to snag a 2-bedroom villa for our multi-generation trip.
Nice! I would love to stay at the GCH or the DLH, maybe one day...after we stay at the Poly in WDW which is my dream resort :lovestruc

We are there May 5th and 6th. I booked when they released the info about the new Pixar stuff!
Yes! Really looking forward to watching Paint the Night at DCA. I am wondering how much will be open on Pixar Pier by then - everything seems to say Summer 2018. Although I just saw that Touring Plans has Cove Bar opening back up in March (I thought they were going to re-do the whole thing and get rid of CB).

Pixar Fest info-
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ebration-coming-throughout-disneyland-resort/
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/2...april-2018-no-word-on-pixar-pier-themed-land/

April 27 - May 4th. We straddle the line.
Are you leaving early or will you be able to do May the 4th stuff before you go?

I've never been to a May the 4th event (but did go to a SW Weekend in WDW), does it get crazy crowded? Since I am still playing with our dates maybe this is something I could add to our plans.

We will be there May 19-26. My youngest daughter is graduating from high school the weekend before we leave and Disneyland is where she wants to go for her graduation trip. We haven't been to Disneyland since 2009 and they were just building World of Color, so we're excited to see everything. Also... first trip with no young kids!

We will be there May 19-26. My youngest daughter is graduating from high school the weekend before we leave and Disneyland is where she wants to go for her graduation trip. We haven't been to Disneyland since 2009 and they were just building World of Color, so we're excited to see everything. Also... first trip with no young kids!
Congratulations on her graduation! So much has changed since 2009 - well so much has changed since last year ;) You travel like we do - right before the holidays to (hopefully) avoid the crowds!

We have watched WoC twice, once with the dining package and once with the dessert party. Loved the dessert party! No rush to find a spot and you get to sit (and eat sweets ;)). It is expensive but I think if you do one splurge this is the one (although we might do the Fantasmic! pckg this time since we have not seen F! yet). The dining package was ok, since we went with someone in a wheelchair we were put in a separate section. We were able to sit on the ground and no one was in front of us which was great, but I know that is not how the package works for everyone else.

Congratulations on her graduation! So much has changed since 2009 - well so much has changed since last year ;) You travel like we do - right before the holidays to (hopefully) avoid the crowds!

We have watched WoC twice, once with the dining package and once with the dessert party. Loved the dessert party! No rush to find a spot and you get to sit (and eat sweets ;)). It is expensive but I think if you do one splurge this is the one (although we might do the Fantasmic! pckg this time since we have not seen F! yet). The dining package was ok, since we went with someone in a wheelchair we were put in a separate section. We were able to sit on the ground and no one was in front of us which was great, but I know that is not how the package works for everyone else.

We're planning to definitely do the WOC dessert party. We may do the Fantasmic dining, assuming it's offered when we're there. There's a couple of grad nights during our week, but we'll have at least one day out of the parks so we'll make that work. We're hoping to avoid crowds by going before a holiday, but mostly it's because I'm a teacher and that's the week after the regular school year ends and ESY (summer school) starts and I'm hoping to teach ESY again this summer.

Also hoping the Cove Bar is reopened by May. On my rough days in school, I spend my lunch hour dreaming of sitting in a bar, overlooking the parks and enjoying the atmosphere (with a non alcohol drink for the 18 year old, of course).

We're planning to definitely do the WOC dessert party. We may do the Fantasmic dining, assuming it's offered when we're there. There's a couple of grad nights during our week, but we'll have at least one day out of the parks so we'll make that work. We're hoping to avoid crowds by going before a holiday, but mostly it's because I'm a teacher and that's the week after the regular school year ends and ESY (summer school) starts and I'm hoping to teach ESY again this summer.

Also hoping the Cove Bar is reopened by May. On my rough days in school, I spend my lunch hour dreaming of sitting in a bar, overlooking the parks and enjoying the atmosphere (with a non alcohol drink for the 18 year old, of course).
I also hope the Cove Bar is open when we go. Been there twice and love it!

DD goes to ESY (she has special needs) but ours starts later in June. I think they figure after a long Winter (up here it is a 5-6 month long season) everyone need some time off to go somewhere sunny ;)
We also do a day or two out of the parks. Last time we went to the Petersen Automotive Museum, and to the Farmer Market. We have gone to El Capitan to watch Nightmare Before Christmas 4D, the Tar Pits, and San Diego. This time the plan is the Griffith Observatory (always on the list, but never manage to get there), and the Farmer's Market (our favorite place to for lunch!).

Last edited:
Has anyone found good hotel rates for May? We usually stay at the Desert Inn & Suites and pay under $100 per night by booking right when they open their May dates. This year I waited a bit longer to book than I normally do so I am wondering if I missed their usual $89 rates. Right now best rate is $119, which is still good, but was wondering if anyone found something better this weekend with all the sales going on. We will probably stay at the Quality Inn on Manchester but I worry that by the time I can book with the employee discount there will be nothing left or they will just not offer a discount. So I made a booking at the DI&S JIC.

I noticed that rates went down for (what usually is) the Tink race/Mother's Day weekend. That weekend was showing as $139-159 but is now $119. Wonder if they had a ton of cancellations now that the Tink is not happening. I did hear that tomorrow (Tuesday) is now referred to as "travel Tuesday". Have not seen anything mentioned online but the news had some basic info on it. Not sure if they just meant that more ppl book on that day or that there are more deals. Will keep an eye out for hotels and flights - SW has also gone up in price since last year (at least for our area), hope they go down soon!

Just a head's up - Southwest dropped prices on a few flights in May for us (DEN). I booked our return flight and it is $79 each, will book the other leg once I get a gift card I ordered using Swagbucks. Not sure if it is for everyone but it's worth a look.

Booked our flights! I had done the return leg first since prices dropped but I waited hoping for the other leg to drop - it has not. So, I got a $100 Southwest gift card from Swagbucks, DH had enough miles for a free one way, and I still had some $ in our vacation account from our last trip. Round trip for 3 came to $355 out of pocket (or out of last year's vacation fund). Not too bad.

Now I am looking at what to do off property on the 2 days when there is Grad Nite (11th & 12th) . Figured on the 5th we will brave the crowds since it is our arrival day and it would be torture to not go to a park that day ;)

We will be there May 19-22! We are spending 2 nights at the Best Western across the street and then 2 nights at the DLH. We haven't decided on how many days of tickets we will get. I'm waiting to hear if they are doing the discounted SoCA tickets or not. If they are doing them, and they last to the days we will be there, I'm not going to bother going on a Saturday. I heard Saturdays were awful last year at the end of redepmtion, so we will just go Sun-Tues. If they aren't doing them, we will go Sat-Tues.

We will be there May 19-22! We are spending 2 nights at the Best Western across the street and then 2 nights at the DLH. We haven't decided on how many days of tickets we will get. I'm waiting to hear if they are doing the discounted SoCA tickets or not. If they are doing them, and they last to the days we will be there, I'm not going to bother going on a Saturday. I heard Saturdays were awful last year at the end of redepmtion, so we will just go Sun-Tues. If they aren't doing them, we will go Sat-Tues.
Do the SoCal tickets usually include Saturdays?

Do the SoCal tickets usually include Saturdays?
Not the season passes, but the special 3 day tickets last year could be used on Saturdays. They were 3 day passes for like $150 to residents of SoCal that ran from Jan-right before Memorial Day.

Are you leaving early or will you be able to do May the 4th stuff before you go?

I've never been to a May the 4th event (but did go to a SW Weekend in WDW), does it get crazy crowded? Since I am still playing with our dates maybe this is something I could add to our plans.

When I originally scheduled I didnt even think about it. Havent decided if I will add a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!