MCO is a zoo/TSA pre check

I'm fine with the 3 hours. We've been to Disney twice in the last 4 years, and both times we needed most of that. The first time we were the first of multiple pickups plus a huge check in line for southwest (there was problems with RAC). The second time we stood in the 30 ish minute security line, only to be turned away because the boarding passes we got from RAC wouldn't read (2 of the 5 of us). The first year we had maybe 5-10 minutes before we started to board, the second year maybe 15. I know we made it, but if we would've left a half hour later we wouldn't have made either.

On flight days, I plan to get to the airport early because you never know. Sometimes you get through check in and security in a breeze, other times there are a whole lot of people ahead of you. I always bring stuff to do, money to spend on food and drink, and plan on sitting around for a while. It still beats driving.

Many interesting comments here. Be aware that the conditions at MCO vary greatly during the time of day, day of the week and which check point (east or west) you are at. I live in Orlando and my experience with the east checkpoint and TSA Pre-check has been universally good for morning flights. I seldom leave in the afternoon or evening so can't comment on conditions at that time of day.

MCO is a crap airport.
There are other, albeit less convenient, airports in Central Florida. Sanford of course, with its ultra-low-cost airlines. And I've seen more than a couple of recommendations for Tampa. MCO is the second-busiest airport in Florida, after Miami. According to thetravelerszone.com, Orlando is the most visited tourist destination in the country (surprisingly, Faneuil Hall beat it!)
The gate agents will tell you that the cut off time to check your bags is an hour before the flight leaves, otherwise they do not guarantee that your bags will be on your flight.
And they mean you must complete the transaction before that your - not be in the middle of checking your bag.

Follow up question. A lot of people in this thread mention that their bus went to multiple Resorts before leaving the property. When I left from the poly last weekend the bus was empty when we boarded and there's only about 15 people on the bus and then it went right to the airport. Does anyone know if the procedure is different for the deluxe Resorts and they don't go to multiple Resorts before leaving the property?

Last edited:
Unlike all of the other issues that are under discussion on these boards...:rolleyes2

Are you trying to say that this topic isn't worthy of a thread? As opposed to, say, the relative merits of the Grand Floridian vs. the Poly?
Agree!!!!

Follow up question. A lot of people in this thread mention that their boss went to multiple Resorts before leaving the property. When I left from the poly last weekend the bus was empty when we boarded and there's only about 15 people on the bus and then it went right to the airport. Does anyone know if the procedure is different for the deluxe Resorts and they don't go to multiple Resorts before leaving the property?

You were the lucky last stop. DME stops at multiple resorts for the deluxe resorts too.

Follow up question. A lot of people in this thread mention that their bus went to multiple Resorts before leaving the property. When I left from the poly last weekend the bus was empty when we boarded and there's only about 15 people on the bus and then it went right to the airport. Does anyone know if the procedure is different for the deluxe Resorts and they don't go to multiple Resorts before leaving the property?
You got lucky. pixiedust: We've stayed at almost every deluxe resort, and have always had to pick up guests from multiple other resorts on the way to the airport.

This is why I rent a car because I don't believe time on buses is vacation for me. I am getting TSA PreCheck on May 5th so I don't have to deal with this also.

I left Disney last Saturday and the airport was an absolute Zoo people were everywhere and most of them seem to just be sitting around. I attribute this to the fact that Disney makes people arrive at the airport way too early which just triples and quadruples number of people at the airport at any given time. I always have TSA PreCheck because I pay for global entry and the security line for TSA PreCheck was only about 10 minutes long I don't know why I have to be at the airport 3 hours early so I can go through a 10-minute security line it really irritates me. I think Disney should let me decide when I arrive at the airport and obviously they would be held harmless if I miss my flight. people with TSA pre-check should be able to arrive at the airport much later. I understand I have the option of not taking Disney Magical Express but it's a free service and I actually think it's a nice service the only problem I have with it is arriving way too early and then having to deal with hordes of people who are also they're way too early.

Precheck often backs up @ MCO. IMO tends to be an issue with a person who was granted precheck as a trusted flyer vs those who pay for it and know the general drill

Security at MCO is always a zoo no matter what time you arrive. It has nothing to do with DME. The hoards of people traveling to and through MCO is very high.

While pre-check is generally quick, there have been times at MCO where my traveling party made it through regular security before I made it through pre-check. While not the norm, it can happen. At that airport I don’t take anything for granted.

Hordes is an interesting & apt choice of words lol. MCO is typically in the top 15 busiest US airports. Willing to bet a large portion flowing thru it are non-frequent fliers. Many may be taking their first flights, challenged corralling their kids after a vacation or ESL types just trying to figure out how to navigate to their gate. I try to put myself in their shoes and be patient. Well, unless i’m running late.

I expect things to move a bit slower overall when departing from there, all part of the experience and I strive to arrive there a solid 2 hours early & plan accordingly.

Does anyone know if the procedure is different for the deluxe Resorts and they don't go to multiple Resorts before leaving the property?
No, the procedure is the same as at any other resort.

It is a total crap-shoot, even at deluxe resorts. Sometimes you share a bus, sometimes you don't.

Be aware that the standard closing time for the Pre-Check lane at MCO is 8 pm. Recently discovered this the hard way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter