ME Drivers and Tips?

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
Is it customary to tip ME drivers? And do you normally tip them only when they take bags for you or do you also tip them just for the ride?

We normally do not have bags that need to go under the bus. Our last trip (Oct), the driver was telling people as he pulled up to the airport that he would be accepting tips for getting them there safely when we got to the airport. Instead of getting the bags out, he was standing at the door collecting tips. It was obvious that he was irritated with those that did not tip. So....I thought (after-thought) perhaps it is customary to tip and I was being rude for not tipping him for driving?

It is not customary to tip the driver unless he or she handles your bags, but you can if you want to.

The situation you describe would definitely make me not want to, even if he did handle my bags. That kind of behavior is unprofessional and unacceptable.

We always tip. 1.) We always have bags and 2. ) if you took a cab, you'd tip the cab driver wouldn't you?

So if we have no bags, we usually tip 2 or 3 dollars ( there is always only 2 of us ) and if we have bags it's 5.00.

We always tip. 1.) We always have bags and 2. ) if you took a cab, you'd tip the cab driver wouldn't you?

So if we have no bags, we usually tip 2 or 3 dollars ( there is always only 2 of us ) and if we have bags it's 5.00.

Cab versus bus is a big difference to me. If I take a cab, it is for my party only and the driver goes where I direct. If I take a bus, the bus is on a set route and takes multiple parties to the same destination (s).

That is an apples and oranges comparison. A taxi is a dedicated ride one requests. The guest is paying for magical express. That is how the hired Mears driver is paid. Disney gives nothing for free. Your ME fees are paid in rooms costs.

@OP, I do not use ME, but if I did, I would only tip if he/she handled bags for me. Just like skycaps, dedicated transport, etc.

And if he/she was being pushy or insisting on being tipped, I can assure you I would not tip.

No, the DME driver does not automatically get to have a tip handed over. It isn't the same as a cab. The drivers are paid a decent, minimum wage. Cab drivers, not so much. There is signage at the front of the bus that states 'gratuities are gratefully accepted for exceptional service'. Now, just driving the bus, and nothing more, doesn't strike me as 'exceptional service'. If you have a bag stowed beneath the bus, then yes, a tip is warranted. The driver handled your bags. If no bags stowed, then no tip should be expected.
I've had an instance where I had a bag stowed...a carry on bag that was a bit too large to hold on my lap, so I had the driver stow it. Ok. That driver didn't say a word as we boarded the bus, he said nothing on the drive to the first resort. He announced the resort, then when at the resort, announced that gratuities are always accepted. Ahhhh, I can read the sign right over your head buddy!!! No words as guests got off the bus. Same thing for the next two stops. The $5 I had in my pocket, as a tip, stayed in my pocket. However, I had one driver who welcomed each and every guest to 'his' bus. He kept us entertained with various tidbits of info about the area..it's history and fun places to see. All while driving very safely and not at a snail's pace. He thanked each person for riding with him as they hopped off the bus. I had no stowed bags, I had just a tote bag that I kept with me. However, I went into my wallet and dug out a $5 bill for this guy. He went the extra mile.
So, it's up to each person to decide who, and how, they want to tip. I'm kind of tired of the tipping mentality. Every one has their hand out in Orlando. Why? Because tourists don't want to offend so they go overboard in tipping. If it were up to me? I would allow tipping of the WDW bus drivers. Those people deal with incredible stuff, every day!!!!

I only tip if I have bags stored under the bus. And if they directly say the word "tip", no tip for them. It's already posted in the bus.

I did have a DME driver on Sunday that said something about he could "accept signs of appreciation". If I had had luggage stored under the bus, he probably would have still received a tip (we had used RAC, so no luggage under the bus). I would have given him the creativity bonus points, I guess. But again...only if I'd had luggage under the bus.

I tip because I store a bag underneath. The only way I would tip otherwise was if I noticed a driver doing something extraordinary for another guest ( haven't seen anything yet)

Last edited:
I generally only tip DME if the driver handles our bags, there were a few times when I have tipped a driver even when we didn't have bags but that was because I felt he deserved it.

Instead of getting the bags out, he was standing at the door collecting tips.

Our last driver said it is company policy for him to stand by the door until everyone is off the bus in case he has to assist them. He seemed genuine and didn’t mention tipping in any form. He said it for the people who had bags under the bus so they knew he couldn’t take them out right away.

Our last driver said it is company policy for him to stand by the door until everyone is off the bus in case he has to assist them. He seemed genuine and didn’t mention tipping in any form. He said it for the people who had bags under the bus so they knew he couldn’t take them out right away.
You're exactly correct. They stand by the door when you're boarding, and when you get off...it's a safety thing. I've tipped at this point in the past, if I didn't have a stowed bag and the driver gave extraordinary service. Otherwise, if I have a stowed bag, he gets a tip as he hands me my bag...unless he has asked for a tip.Then the money stays in my pocket.

It would see, by looking at responses here, that the service industry has done it's job very well. As Americans, we have been trained to believe that a tip is required every single time someone does something for us. It used to be that you never, ever tipped the owner of a hair salon, that has now changed. You are expected to stick a buck in the paper cup at the ice cream stand window...to help with college tuition! Or at the local coffee shop, when you order a cup of coffee. Many people seem to feel that it's 'cheap' not to tip. But, if I tip every person I run into, providing a service, I'll be broke. It's time to put a stop to it. If you can't live on the pay you get scooping ice cream, then don't take the job. I have bills to pay, college tuition loans to repay. I tend to tip on the heavy side, when I feel a tip is warranted. I refuse to be tip because some 'expect' it. The one time we arrived at the Polynesian, in a town car, we had to tip the driver (expected to do that), then the guy who rushed over to help unload our bags and put them on a luggage cart. Then, the guy that pulled the luggage cart into the lobby, to get us checked in. Then, the guy who delivered the bags to our room! Seriously? 3 different CMs with their hands out to provide basically the same service, three times for the same three bags!!!
So, no, I won't automatically tip the DME driver. He needs to do something 'exceptional' (as the signage states) before that money leaves my pocket.

Well, that makes sense to me. But, the announcement about tips was weird and unnecessary.

I tip because I store a bag underneath. The only way I would tip otherwise was if I noticed a driver doing something extraordinary for another guest ( haven't seen anything yet)

Just curious. Why would YOU tip somebody for doing something extraordinary for somebody else? Wouldn't that be their responsibility and digression?
Please do not take that as me being challenging. I am trying to understand the logic. I have done "pay-it-forward" many times, but I have never seen a server in a restaurant provide somebody else such great service that I felt compelled to add to that tip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter