Meal idea for in our resort

sdoll

DIS Veteran
I will be headed to Bonnet Creek next month. I am staying for a week. I hadn't planned on cooking dinner often but some how my boys convinced me to let them invite friends So now it's me and 4 boys ages 10-12. We usually eat breakfast and lunch in our room but now I plan on doing 5 dinners as well. I was planning on doing tacos, hotdogs, lasagna etc. anyone have any fun or different suggestions? I should mention that we aren't doing the main Disney parks but plan on the Disney Water parks for the week. thanks for any suggestions!

Does Bonnet Creek have grills? Maybe the boys would like a cookout with the hotdogs or burgers?

Bonnet Creek does have very nice grills and they provide grilling utensils in each room. A cookout is a great idea. We usually grill quite a bit at the beginning of our trip so we have quick easy meals for the next few days.

I am driving. I do have a crock pot and was considering bringing it. That would probably be the easiest! I can start something in the morning and have it waiting for us. Bring on the recipe suggestions. I could also do breakfast that way! You might be a life saver! My plan is to serve a big breakfast and a light lunch in the park and a filling dinner! Thank you!!

My go to crook pot meal is ground turkey / venison cabbage crushed tomatoes and onions. Not sure if your gang will grub up on that though :).

Protein and a cream soup is always a winner IMO. Chicken ( bone in tastes much better) or pork chops ( thick cut) cream of mushroom we like. A quick crook pot meal is sloppy joes. The advantage of the CP is you don't have to watch it.

We love Bonnet Creek! A couple things my teens like are...

Stouffers Mac and Cheese...Walmart sells the big family pan. Put it in the oven while you are having a drink in your balcony and it's ready in an hour.

Spiral Ham...just needs to heat...can even use crockpot. We then use leftovers for breakfast. Fry up the ham with some scrambled eggs.

DiGiornos Pizzas

Fried Chicken from Walmart or Publix. Hot or cold it's yummy. I serve it with cole slaw. I buy a jar of Marie's Cole Slaw dressing and two bags of shredded cabbage.

Pulled pork in crockpot....McCormicks makes a Sweet and Smoky Seasoning Packet for Chicken that is great with pork....not as spicy...which some kids don't like.

Notice...none of these really require any cooking. And while I love to grill, when it's very hot it's not as fun.

Have an awesome e trip!

ABsolutely take your crockpot....We fly so I can't take mine. But one year I bought one in Walmart off the clearance rack. It saved me a lot of money by using it to make meals. Pulled Chicken/Pork is my favorite. One of my sons dumped a pack of hot dogs in it while he went swimming. He came back less than an hour later and they tasted like they had been roasted on a rotisserie. He didnt use any water except what was in the pack of hot dogs. I never had them like that and I was impressed. Brown some ground beef/turkey.....put it in crockpot with some sauce and make some pasta. Mix together...add some cheese and dinner is served. Deli Meats and Cheese and a Loaf of bread is really all my teenage boys required. They enjoyed the stuff going on at the pools and on the grounds of the resort so much they didnt want to eat alot and have a lot of sit down meals. They wanted grab and go. We hardly saw them. My DH, DD and myself would go out for some meals and my boys NEVER wanted to go. They never wanted to leave the resort grounds. They were having too much fun and the July heat limited their appetite anyway. So grab and go is what they wanted. When I made pasta they couldnt carry it around, so they ate on the balcony. They were so glad we had a unit overlooking the pool so they felt like they were still out there and not missing out on anything !!!! :laughing:

WE are planning on making :

pulled pork from Costco. It is really good and only requires 10 minutes in the microwave. We will put it on buns and add potato chips or potato salad.

Breaded Chicken patties on hamburger buns.

Turkey and B( microwavable)LT sandwiches

Cobb Salad with french bread

Also considering buying party wings from Costco and making my own honey glazed wings.

Not a dinner idea...but a "save you from starving boys just returning from a water park idea"...
Have a smoothie a day for when you walk back into the room...ideas are endless, but getting them something cold, something with protein, and something semi-filling will give you time to get things ready without wanting to kill anyone:)...some ideas...

- Fresh pineapple, bananas, vanilla ice cream (or coconut milk/cream) and ice - milk to thin if necessary (add rum to yours after you pour out 4 servings:)...
- Peanut butter, double banana, milk, vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, and ice (this is good with kahlua or vodka:)
- Strawberries (fresh or frozen), bananas, vanilla ice cream, ice - milk to thin if necessary (good with vodka)
- Orange juice, frozen bananas, milk, vanilla ice cream, ice - this is an orange julius (not really good with any alcohol, but tastes really good)
Etc, etc

The benefit is the kids will get probably 2 servings of fruit and 1 dairy...and you won't have done really any work but dropping things in a blender and hitting the button...to make it healthier, you could also switch all of the above to yogurt or greek yogurt (vs ice cream), but on vacation, I splurge...at home, I keep it healthier...

Once they finish the smoothies, you can make pretty much anything they want:)...and their appetites will be a lot lighter, so a tray of mac and cheese or lasagna thrown in the oven with no work would probably feed all of them without them asking where the rest of the food is (why yes, I've fed this age group a lot:)...

We love Bonnet Creek! A couple things my teens like are...

Stouffers Mac and Cheese...Walmart sells the big family pan. Put it in the oven while you are having a drink in your balcony and it's ready in an hour.

Yes....you and I are definitely on the same page for this !!! A nice screened in balcony with NICE scenery is a necessity for me. Nothing like ending the evening with a frozen Daiquiri or an umbrella type drink on the balcony. It is one of the many perks that sold me on staying at timeshare resorts. I know some hotels have balconies too. But its not the same level of privacy as a timeshare. It's nice to enjoy the balcony for adult conversation while the kids are asleep in their own bedroom and not within "listening" distance. My theory is: I vacation with the kids by day, but when they go to bed, it's nice for me and DH to enjoy vacation time too.

Mom of 4 here, and we love WBC. We typically grill two meals during our stay. One is hamburgers or hot dogs, the other steak. With the steak we have it as is or make into tacos. I have cooked frozen lasagna and pizza a number of times. Tacos are easy to make as are sloppy joes. Just don;t forget the cooking spray.

We just went to the cottage and made Ribs in the crockpot. It coiuldn't have been easier. I cut them into portions that would fit in the crockpot, brushed them liberally with sauce on both sides and cooked on low for 8 or 9 hours. When they were done we put more sauce on, and put them under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes to caramalize the sauce. So easy and everyone devoured them.

Last edited:
I have even done meatloaf and lasagne in crockpot-definitely get the liners so clean up is easy. Premade mash potatoes, micro veggies-meat and potato dinner is ready in a snap; lasagne only needs a micro veggie or bagged salad.
I also frequently do a breakfast casserole in the crockpot overnight-only requires browning some sausage-put together before bed and breakfast is ready when everyone is up.
Ditto on the pulled pork.
Yes....you and I are definitely on the same page for this !!! A nice screened in balcony with NICE scenery is a necessity for me. Nothing like ending the evening with a frozen Daiquiri or an umbrella type drink on the balcony. It is one of the many perks that sold me on staying at timeshare resorts. I know some hotels have balconies too. But its not the same level of privacy as a timeshare. It's nice to enjoy the balcony for adult conversation while the kids are asleep in their own bedroom and not within "listening" distance. My theory is: I vacation with the kids by day, but when they go to bed, it's nice for me and DH to enjoy vacation time too.
I like the way you vacation!!!:)

Or french dip (my recipe uses 1 tsp rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme, bay leaf, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 2 tsp worcestershire +1 cup water with the roast-make the best au jus!)
And if you do haul along the soy sauce and have leftover meats/veg/egg at end of week-fried rice! chop it all up, boil some rice, scramble the egg, toss with some soy sauce!

I have even done meatloaf and lasagne in crockpot-definitely get the liners so clean up is easy. Premade mash potatoes, micro veggies-meat and potato dinner is ready in a snap; lasagne only needs a micro veggie or bagged salad.
I also frequently do a breakfast casserole in the crockpot overnight-only requires browning some sausage-put together before bed and breakfast is ready when everyone is up.
Ditto on the pulled pork.

I like the way you vacation!!!:)
:thumbsup2 :rotfl:

There are so many simple and easy crockpot ideas and recipes online. I saw a lasagna recipe where the pasta was uncooked going in and looked cooked perfectly when it was done. They say they even have "FAST COOKING" pasta. But I watch those videos to get ideas too. Right now my main focus of excitement for meals, is grocery delivery. I am so excited over the idea of shopping online at Walmart and Publix for groceries and having them delivered. It will also save money because you won't be passing displays and putting extra items not on your list in your cart. We all have a tendency to pick up more than we came for. I can't wait to try it. :woohoo:

Redneck crockpot lasagna.

Genos pizza rolls, add jarred sauce then cover with mozerlla cheese.

Sounds gross, but it yummy :)

We grill a lot at WBC. Burgers and chicken mostly. We also usually have a pasta night and maybe a taco night too. To keep it easy we get those bagged salad kits and pre-cut onions and peppers, and pre-cut fruits and veggies for snacking too. Oh, and frozen pizza is always a winner with my DS and his friend (we've brought him twice - they're 13 this year 12 last year, so close to your guys' ages). They pretty much don't care as long as there is some sort of food and the fridge is stocked with soda!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter