Medical parking lot

Racefan1

Earning My Ears
I have a mobility scooter that goes on a carrying rack on the back of my car. It has a ramp that goes off the side to get it on and off.
I don't have a handicap parking placard but is there a medical lot that the spaces are bigger to be able to load and unload the scooter?

There are people starting at the booth and in the lots who can direct you to the medical lot at each park. There are larger spaces there. Have a good trip!

There technically are larger spaces at each park, but only maybe a handful or 2 in the first row out of SEVERAL rows of handicapped parking has “true” WC parking spaces (larger + empty space next to it) … I was surprised at the lack of space in the other rows. They appear to be longer, but not much wider, IMO. And the front row spaces are, of course, among the first to fill up… so, it’s really just a luck of the draw if there will be an opening in the “large spaces” when you happen to arrive.

The only other suggestion I have is to make sure you park in a spot at the end of the row to make sure your pathway doesn’t end up getting blocked by someone parking next to you (there are, understandably, a LOT of larger vehicles in the WC lot).

The only park we had a pretty difficult time trying to find HC parking was MK. Even the medical lot” was full. All the other parks had plenty

I have a mobility scooter that goes on a carrying rack on the back of my car. It has a ramp that goes off the side to get it on and off.
I don't have a handicap parking placard but is there a medical lot that the spaces are bigger to be able to load and unload the scooter?
You’ll need to specify to the CMs that you need to be parked so that no one is behind you. You may end up having to back up a little to get your carrier clear of the car parked next to you in order to pull on or off. But if you are in the space with no one behind your car, that should be easy enough.

You can try explaining that you need to be at a row end (which end depends on which side of the carrier your ramp is on) but that might cause more confusion… idk.

If it was me, I would just plan on backing up 4-5 feet to load & unload.

You should talk to your doctor and get a handicap placard for your car. The fine for parking in a handicap spot is $250 in Florida and it's easy to get the placard especially if you are using a scooter so you meet the criteria so why not get it? With the placard you also get free valet parking at WDW resorts.

…With the placard you also get free valet parking at WDW resorts.

We should amend that to say “at WDW *Deluxe* Resorts”

There is no Valet Parking at either Moderates or Values (unless something has changed since our trip at Thanksgiving 🙂) It would be kind of funny to see a school bus full of cheerleaders asking for Valet Parking at All-Stars though!

And you are correct about the handicap parking permit. It varies by state; for example, where I live you have jump through a *lot* of hoops to get one, including a special form that must be filled out and signed by your doctor’s office - and even then it’s only good for 3 years - and you have to start the application process 6 to 8 weeks before your current tag expires, or go to one very specific location at the state capitol to get one in person, which can easily take all day depending on the part of the state you live in. :::whew!::: it’s A Lot. Hopefully the OP doesn’t live in my home state!

Having said all that, most states are much easier and more humane to deal with. I hear stories of places where you are granted a tag in two weeks or less with little to no paperwork!

Aside from the administrivia of the OP’s home state, the main thing to know about getting a handicap placard is that in the US, your state placard will be recognized and considered valid in all 50 states as long as it has not expired, and you are allowed to move it from vehicle to vehicle (it travels with the person it is assigned to, and does not stay with the vehicle, like a license plate typically does).

Oh - and it may be that the OP will be able to just get a temporary handicap parking placard if they feel they don’t need one all the time.

And you are correct about the handicap parking permit. It varies by state; for example, where I live you have jump through a *lot* of hoops to get one, including a special form that must be filled out and signed by your doctor’s office - and even then it’s only good for 3 years - and you have to start the application process 6 to 8 weeks before your current tag expires, or go to one very specific location at the state capitol to get one in person, which can easily take all day depending on the part of the state you live in. :::whew!::: it’s A Lot. Hopefully the OP doesn’t live in my home state!

Having said all that, most states are much easier and more humane to deal with. I hear stories of places where you are granted a tag in two weeks or less with little to no paperwork!

Aside from the administrivia of the OP’s home state, the main thing to know about getting a handicap placard is that in the US, your state placard will be recognized and considered valid in all 50 states as long as it has not expired, and you are allowed to move it from vehicle to vehicle (it travels with the person it is assigned to, and does not stay with the vehicle, like a license plate typically does).

Oh - and it may be that the OP will be able to just get a temporary handicap parking placard if they feel they don’t need one all the time.
at one point, many years ago, each state totally did their own thing with handicapped parking permits, including how to apply, what qualified and how long it was valid for once it was approved.
The negotiations for states to agree to reciprocity included quite a few standard things. For example, the permit has to contain certain elements, permits do expire (no more permanent parking permits), a doctor has to sign a form to certify the disability and there is a definition of disability all states accepted.
There are things that vary from state to state. For example, where to get the forms, can application be made online or only in person, which agency handles permits. And, then there are also different parking rules. In some states, people with handicapped parking permits are exempt from paying for parking or can park longer than other people (for example 3 hours in a 1 hour zone). The biggest take away is that the handicapped parking permit will be recognized in every state, but it can't be assumed that the same parking parking rules apply

(no more permanent parking permits)
It’s funny you say that Sue, because several (8 or 9?) years ago AZ switched to a Permanent — No Expiration tag. I went in to MVD in 2019 to get my new placard (hang tag) which had expired in 2018 — but I rarely use the placard because we have plates on our cars, so taking it in to trade it for the next one kinda got pushed to the back burner.

Anyway, I went in and they gave me 2 new ones (because they crack and fall apart from the heat if you leave them in the window) but they told me that I didn’t have to bother because they automatically turned into no expiration tags. They only gave me the new ones because I had come in and waited in line.

I’m glad they didn’t just say, “Yeah, the expiration date is waived, just keep using it.” Because the times I *do* use it is almost always a rental car situation when we’re out of state. I doubt the police in other states got the memo that AZ tags don’t really expire anymore… just ignore that part. :rolleyes:

The new placard says PERMANENT— NO EXPIRATION right on it. To get the new ones, I just had to sign a form that “swore, under penalty of perjury” that I was still permanently disabled.
It’s the same statement that I attest to each time I renew my registration for the places on my car.

It’s funny you say that Sue, because several (8 or 9?) years ago AZ switched to a Permanent — No Expiration tag. I went in to MVD in 2019 to get my new placard (hang tag) which had expired in 2018 — but I rarely use the placard because we have plates on our cars, so taking it in to trade it for the next one kinda got pushed to the back burner.

Anyway, I went in and they gave me 2 new ones (because they crack and fall apart from the heat if you leave them in the window) but they told me that I didn’t have to bother because they automatically turned into no expiration tags. They only gave me the new ones because I had come in and waited in line.

I’m glad they didn’t just say, “Yeah, the expiration date is waived, just keep using it.” Because the times I *do* use it is almost always a rental car situation when we’re out of state. I doubt the police in other states got the memo that AZ tags don’t really expire anymore… just ignore that part. :rolleyes:

The new placard says PERMANENT— NO EXPIRATION right on it. To get the new ones, I just had to sign a form that “swore, under penalty of perjury” that I was still permanently disabled.
It’s the same statement that I attest to each time I renew my registration for the places on my car.

Obviously there are no federal rules on the books *that I know of* yet regarding handicap placards/hangtags/plates but there are times when I wish there were, and this is one of them.

My home state took away the option for perma-tags about 5 to 7 years ago (sorry, but like everyone else, I lost 2020 to 2022, so time is irrelevant now 😂) and essentially said that those who had a perma-plate/hangtag or placard needed to get new ones, because all of these “permanent” ones were no longer being recognized. Then, for a while, they backpedaled, and said “Nope, wait, we were wrong - y’all are good” and then quietly revoked them again.

However, from what I have learned over the years, our @SueM in MN is correct; all the states are supposed to be playing by the same set of rules when it comes to the issuance of tags/plates/placards.

Are they? Maybe. Maybe not. But what I *do* know for sure is that Florida has reciprocity for all 50 states (so your Arizona tag *and* my Oklahoma placard is just fine in Okahumpka, Ocala, or Orlando) and vice-versa… and for that I am grateful !😉

Obviously there are no federal rules on the books *that I know of* yet regarding handicap placards/hangtags/plates but there are times when I wish there were, and this is one of them.

My home state took away the option for perma-tags about 5 to 7 years ago (sorry, but like everyone else, I lost 2020 to 2022, so time is irrelevant now 😂) and essentially said that those who had a perma-plate/hangtag or placard needed to get new ones, because all of these “permanent” ones were no longer being recognized. Then, for a while, they backpedaled, and said “Nope, wait, we were wrong - y’all are good” and then quietly revoked them again.

However, from what I have learned over the years, our @SueM in MN is correct; all the states are supposed to be playing by the same set of rules when it comes to the issuance of tags/plates/placards.

Are they? Maybe. Maybe not. But what I *do* know for sure is that Florida has reciprocity for all 50 states (so your Arizona tag *and* my Oklahoma placard is just fine in Okahumpka, Ocala, or Orlando) and vice-versa… and for that I am grateful !😉
I sure thought it was weird. But I’m quite certain my opinions are inconsequential to the AZMVD.

But we are also talking about a state where a DL is good until you turn 65!!
I kid you not! :scared1:
Even a newly-minted 16 y.o. DL is good until their 65th birthday.

Now, if they want to get rid of the dreaded vertical (portrait) format, and have the “adult” horizontal/landscape format, they have to go in at age 21 and get it re-issued. But if the young adult isn’t trying to buy liquor or get into nightclubs, then there’s no big hurry.

And honestly, at most places it’s still not a big problem because they can go off of the birthdate— it’s not illegal or anything. It’s just that sometimes you get bouncers or whatnot that are bad at math. :rotfl: And that can be a little embarrassing, and apparently the vertical format IDs get more scrutiny and are sometimes mistaken as fake IDs, even if they aren’t.

I’d say the vast majority of young adults go in for the new ones, mainly for that feeling of being “all grown up”.

Sorry for getting :offtopic:

I sure thought it was weird. But I’m quite certain my opinions are inconsequential to the AZMVD.

But we are also talking about a state where a DL is good until you turn 65!!
I kid you not! :scared1:
Even a newly-minted 16 y.o. DL is good until their 65th birthday.

Now, if they want to get rid of the dreaded vertical (portrait) format, and have the “adult” horizontal/landscape format, they have to go in at age 21 and get it re-issued. But if the young adult isn’t trying to buy liquor or get into nightclubs, then there’s no big hurry.

And honestly, at most places it’s still not a big problem because they can go off of the birthdate— it’s not illegal or anything. It’s just that sometimes you get bouncers or whatnot that are bad at math. :rotfl: And that can be a little embarrassing, and apparently the vertical format IDs get more scrutiny and are sometimes mistaken as fake IDs, even if they aren’t.

I’d say the vast majority of young adults go in for the new ones, mainly for that feeling of being “all grown up”.

Sorry for getting :offtopic:

Wow! I’m gonna go over in this corner, and ponder what life is like when you don’t have to renew your drivers license every few years… 🤔

Wow! I’m gonna go over in this corner, and ponder what life is like when you don’t have to renew your drivers license every few years… 🤔
It’s nice, until you go thru TSA and your photo is 20+ years old and 2 or 3 hair styles/colors ago. 😉🤣 And you’re standing there with them looking from your license to you, back and forth and then finally hand it back and let you through.

I started using my passport card instead a few years ago.

The Arizona drivers license doesn’t expire but the picture does now, every 10 years. I have my first drivers license that isnt expired and a very young me at age 40 something, then I got the notice the picture now expires every 10 years so I have a 2nd license with same number but it expires one year before my first license. So now I wonder will I get a 1 year license when I turn 64? lol. IM pretty sure they don’t know at DMV either.

we too have the permanent placard From Arizona. I thought weird too but since the license plates have handicap we just save it for rental cars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter