Melting white chocolate?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
I want to make some white chocolate covered pretzel sticks for a dessert table and I need to know if I need to use the Wilton's candy melts, Ghirardelli white chocolate chips or what? What taste best? What is the easiest to work with?

Wilton candy melts are made with (in descending order by volume) sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil palm kernel, palm), nonfat dry milk powder, whole milk powder, soya lecithin, salt, natural flavor, sorbitan tristarate, artificial flavor. Ghirardelli white baking chips are similar.

If you want really good quality white chocolate, look for a product where the first ingredient is cocoa butter, like https://www.amazon.com/ChocZeros-Ch...1875&sprefix=White+chocolate+,aps,195&sr=8-10

Wilton candy melts are made with (in descending order by volume) sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil palm kernel, palm), nonfat dry milk powder, whole milk powder, soya lecithin, salt, natural flavor, sorbitan tristarate, artificial flavor. Ghirardelli white baking chips are similar.

If you want really good quality white chocolate, look for a product where the first ingredient is cocoa butter, like https://www.amazon.com/ChocZeros-Chips-chocolate-añadido-carbohidratos/dp/B082TMVM3H/ref=sr_1_10?crid=EJ96VL6PNONK&dchild=1&keywords=white+chocolate+chips&qid=1594081875&sprefix=White+chocolate+,aps,195&sr=8-10
Ok, well let me ask you this. I really have no experience here so difficulty with melting and using is a factor too. Would you recommend one over the other in that regards? Do I need to buy a special melting pot to do so or what?

Ok, well let me ask you this. I really have no experience here so difficulty with melting and using is a factor too. Would you recommend one over the other in that regards? Do I need to buy a special melting pot to do so or what?
You can make a double boiler with a bowl and a pan of water

I used to work as a pastry chef / dessert chef in hotels and restaurants.

You don't need any fancy equipment to melt chocolate, either white chocolate, dark chocolate or milk chocolate.

All you need to do is
  1. Put a pot of water on the stove, bring it to the boil
  2. Turn off the heat
  3. Put the chocolate in a bowl and put the bowl on the top of the pot of boiling water and stir.
  4. It will take a few minutes but the chocolate will melt.
  5. If its taking too long and the water has gone cold, take the chocolate off the top of the pot and reboil the water.
  6. You don't want the steam from the boiling water to come in contact with the chocolate.
It depends on your taste what kind of chocolate you use, but Ghirardelli white chocolate chips would be my choice.

Never melt chocolate in a microwave the heat is too high and it burns very quickly. Burnt melted chocolate has a very distinct taste and is very grainy.

You can get a melting pot (which should keep the chocolate at the right consistency while you're doing the dipping), but you definitely don't need to. To melt chocolate I use one of two methods. The first is to put the chocolate in a heat proof bowl (e.g. a Pyrex glass one) and sit it on top of a saucepan of water and heat it on the stove, stirring constantly. Then take it off the heat once it is melted. If you leave the bowl sitting on top of the saucepan it should stay melted a bit longer. Otherwise I microwave the chocolate (again in something like a Pyrex bowl) at medium for 30 second bursts, stirring each time. Either way you need to stir constantly so it doesn't catch on the sides of the bowl and make sure you don't over heat it. With both of these methods you may then need to reheat if your chocolate starts getting too stiff.

I use either Wilton Candy Melts or Ghirardelli melting wafers, and they are so easy to melt in the microwave. I dip pretzels, nuts, even strawberries, in both white and dark chocolate,

If you follow the microwave directions on the package, and only heat 30 seconds or less at a time, stirring in between, it melts nicely. Make sure everything is completely dry- any moisture in your bowl or on your spoon will mess up the chocolate.

I think this is easy and also tastes good!

I used to work as a pastry chef / dessert chef in hotels and restaurants.

You don't need any fancy equipment to melt chocolate, either white chocolate, dark chocolate or milk chocolate.

All you need to do is
  1. Put a pot of water on the stove, bring it to the boil
  2. Turn off the heat
  3. Put the chocolate in a bowl and put the bowl on the top of the pot of boiling water and stir.
  4. It will take a few minutes but the chocolate will melt.
  5. If its taking too long and the water has gone cold, take the chocolate off the top of the pot and reboil the water.
  6. You don't want the steam from the boiling water to come in contact with the chocolate.
It depends on your taste what kind of chocolate you use, but Ghirardelli white chocolate chips would be my choice.

Never melt chocolate in a microwave the heat is too high and it burns very quickly. Burnt melted chocolate has a very distinct taste and is very grainy.
Cool! That is one of the careers that I think would be really awesome to have at Disney.

Thanks. I didn't want to buy much equipment if I didn't have too. I don't do parties enough for that. Think I will go with the Ghirardelli chips, probably cost more but I do know how good they are.

I haven't done pretzels, but I have made chocolate covered strawberries with Trader Joe's Pound Plus

Not sure where you might find it, but I've seen bulk blocks of Valrhona white chocolate. It was rather expensive though. I've also seen some places that sold bulk blocks of Guittard white/dark/milk. These are real chocolate (or a least white chocolate) with real cocoa butter and not some filler like palm oil.

https://caputos.com/product/valrhona-bulk-feves-ariaga-white-1lb/
You might have a hard time finding large blocks of real white chocolate. Most white chips contain palm oil as at least a partial filler.

But it's relatively easy. I've had good luck using a microwave, although not at the max setting. When I tried it stovetop it was a bit easy for it to scorch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter