Memorial Day 2018

SUNNYVEE

Earning My Ears
hello! My husband and I are thinking of heading to Disneyland Memorial Weekend Sat-Tuesday while also investing in annual passes! We're from the Bay Area so we see ourselves going a lot in a year. We've been for every major holiday season, New Year's Eve, etc. but never a 3-day holiday weekend. How are crowds typically, especially with blackouts (if any)? We know there's no more slow times and we know it'll be busy but has anyone been who can give me some insight? Thank you!!

Memorial Day Weekend 2017 wasn't bad overall. The day before the start of it all (the 25th, Thursday) was awful because it was the last day of the SoCal ticket promotion, if I remember correctly. DL had a short gate closure in the afternoon (on a weekday!). So we were quaking at the thought of spending the weekend at the parks -- were we nuts? But it really was nice and manageable until the Monday, when crowds picked up. I don't know if this was an anomaly or the norm. But it certainly was a very nice time in the parks.

Last edited:
Memorial Day Weekend 2017 wasn't bad overall. The day before the start of it all (the 25th, Thursday) was awful because it was the last day of the SoCal ticket promotion, if I remember correctly. DL had a short gate closure in the afternoon (on a weekday!). So we were quaking at the thought of spending the weekend at the parks -- were we nuts? But it really was nice and manageable until the Monday, when crowds picked up. I don't know if this was an anomaly or the norm. But it certainly was a very nice time in the parks.
I seem to recall it was quite busy Saturday, but that could be because GOTG opened and we were in that area for a lot of Sat. and Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:

I seem to recall it was quite busy Saturday, but that could be because GOTG opened and we were in that area for a lot of Sat. and Sunday.

That's right -- and we deliberately chose to avoid that area of DCA because of GOTG, figuring that we'd get to that ride after things calmed down a bit -- and because we left before the Monday crowds set in, we didn't experience heavy crowds that weekend.

We are actually going for the first time on that Thursday this year. I've been to DL at max capacity before and it wasn't fun! Its my boys first time and my husband hasn't been in about 25 years. I was hoping it wouldn't be that busy on Thursday, but now I'm kind of worried. Its the only day we will be in that area, so the days are not negotiable. I didn't realize there was a promotion ending. I'm not from Southern California but it does kind of bother me that there are so many promotions for So-cal residents that make those of us who come from so much further away not get the same experience. Too bad their max capacity wasn't a lower number.

Last edited by a moderator:
... it does kind of bother me that there are so many promotions for So-cal residents that make those of us who come from so much further away not get the same experience. Too bad their max capacity wasn't a lower number.

This is a once a year promotion for Southern California residents. To offer any fewer would mean zero promotions a year. Max capacity is actually a reasonably high number (no one but the fire marshall seems to know the exact number, or at least no one is telling). And the gate closure lasted only a few hours until enough guests had left DL so that new guests could enter the park. If that is the only day you can visit, then good planning and organization should help a lot. There really aren't any predictably low crowd days any more, so good planning is key for successful DLR visits for everyone, local or not. Everyone can have a good experience at DLR (or a bad experience) no matter where they come from -- it all depends on good planning and positive attitude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!