• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MEMPHIS - Orlando

Hi DisFans3!

That drive from Memphis is a bit tricky isn't it! It's been a few years since we've done it so this won't be the most up-to-date information but at least it will bump your note back up so maybe you can get some better replies.

The last time we drove (I'm guessing it's been close to 8 yrs) we did 72 from Memphis to Birmingham, then 280 from Birmingham to Columbus, GA continuing thru Albany and finally picking up I-75 in Tifton. I think from there we did the Florida Turnpike to I-4 into Disney (I'm a little foggy on that point). It wasn't a bad drive, and at that time there was a lot of 2-lane highways between B'ham and Tifton, GA but looking at the Atlas, it looks like those roads have been expanded for the most part to 4-lane.

Coming back, we decided to try the Orlando to Atlanta route, which was pretty nice until we hit Atlanta during rush hour. Then it seemed to take forever to get from Atlanta to B'ham and back to Memphis.

We have friends who drive straight down I-55 thru Mississippi and then head over following I-10 (I think?) along the gulf coast, thru Mobile and Tallahassee. I think mileage wise it's definitely longer, but it is interstate the entire way which makes for an easy drive as long as construction isn't bad.

I will say if you head down thru B'ham take 72 and not 78. We just did the 78 route to B'ham a few weeks ago and while the roads are good until just after you get into AL from there on down is a nightmare with 2 lane roads, detours and construction as you get closer to B'ham.

Hope this helps some. I can't remember the drive times but I'm thinking it was in the neighborhood of 14-16 hours or so. Maybe someone who's done the drive more recently will reply soon. I'm interested in hearing also, since we're contemplating doing the drive in October (airline tickets are very high right now!)

Have a great trip!
Kelly

KELLY- Thanks for the info, We live in Sw MO, so have to go through Memphis. We did this drive last year, Sw Mo -Memphis -Jackson - Mobile- Tallahassee-Orlando. On the way back we went Orlando-Atlanta -Birmingham-Tupelo-Memphis-SW MO.. The route going down was much better, longer but better roads. The route back had to many two lane roads. We will be making this same drive again in June. Thanks...... CBR99 Allstar Movies Feb2001 Allstar Music Aug2001 Dolphin-Allstar movies Aug02

DisFans3, do you recall how long those drives were? I agree the B'ham-Tupelo-Memphis drive is a pain! It's a little better if you go from B'ham to Cullman, AL take 157 toward Florence, AL then hit 72 thru Corinth, MS on into Memphis. You can hit Nonconnah Parkway just before you get to Collierville which will put you directly on the I-240 loop around Memphis. (Do the reverse of this if you're on the way down!) There's about 7 miles of 2-lane highway (I think that's right) between Collierville and the 4-lane part of 72 and maybe some 2 lane on 157 but that should be about it. I've been looking at the routes a lot since we started thinking about making the drive ourselves. I would be interested in hearing how long each route took you on your previous trips.

Kelly in Memphis

KELLY- WE live in SW MO, The drive down took us about 20 hours, We always drive thru Memphis, so that is 5 hours from SW MO, The route down, SW MO-Memphis-Jackson-Hattiesburg-Mobile-Tallahasse-WDW, Did this in two days, stoped at Mobile on the way down, I liked this route the best 4 lane all the way, I think this was 100 miles longer,but better roads.. Going home we left WDW at 3 am, WDW-Atlanta-Birmingham-Tupelo-Memphis-SW MO, Arrived home about midnight- This route was ok, to many two lane roads,slow traffic, I would not recommend this route. We are driving to WDW next June, The route down will be thru Miss-Ala-Fla, We are thinking about going thru Atlanta-Chattnooga-Nashville-Memphis-SW MO, for the return trip, I know this is longer, 4-lane all the way..... Most of the time we Fly, But we have two weeks don"t mind the drive.............. THANKS..... CBR99 Allstar Movies Feb01 Allstar Music Aug01 Dolphin-allstar Movies Aug02...............

Thanks DisFans3! We usually fly also but tickets now are much higher than usual. If we choose to drive, the route dilemma will hit in full force. It's hard to believe there's not a more direct route from Northwest Mississippi to Southeast Mississippi isn't it? Same with Northwest AL to Southeast AL, although that's not as bad as MS! Anyway, thanks so much for the comments!

Kelly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter