Merchandise etiquette?

I'm sorry you couldn't have gotten your pin, but he was in line first. If it was me, I would have been buying 2 or 4 depending on if there was a limit. My daughter and I have separate collections. For example, today we stood in line and got 4 Pluto popcorn buckets: One for me, my daughter, my niece, and granddaughter. If I had taken the last 4, I'm sorry, but each wanted one. (The popcorn buckets are limited to 2 per person, but we were all there.)

I don't have any interest in the pins, but I think buying 2 is completely reasonable. He waited in line too, and he got there first. Is he supposed to tell his wife that she doesn't get a pin because he wanted a stranger to have it instead? If he were buying 20, that would be a little obnoxious.

I really, really hate the resellers/scalpers who buy up all the Halloween tickets or limited edition merchandise and try to flip. Poor taste, IMO. However, I don't feel the man in front of you did anything wrong. Maybe he was an out-of-stater, so it wouldn't be as easy for him to come back the next day or so to get another one for his wife when they restock. If he was being kind, he could have made sure you got one.

And, if he didn't get the last one but you did, the person behind you (theoretically) would be in the same predicament. It stinks to be the end person who doesn't get one, though.

Yea, I'm sorry, but he was there before you and he wanted two. Does it suck? Yes, it kind of does, but it's just how life works. There are 6 in my family and we often buy for others and our collections often overlap, just depends on what we like.

If I had had a lovely chat with you, a fellow Disney fan, I would have bought you the pin and gifted it to you. I would have explained to my husband that I had met you and he would have loved for you to have the pin.

Not that I would have bought a second pin for someone I live with. I’m sorry but I do not understand this having 2 if you live in the same household.

Agreed. This feels unfair. Perhaps they should limit them to two per guest.
While I agree with the sentiment expressed, where is that line drawn? In my case, I often have 3-4 people I am buying for (either my 3 daughters, or my 4 grandsons). Hell hath no fury like that of a 3-year-old that doesn't receive the same gift as his older brothers, lol. Now that our teenage daughter is in adult clothing sizes, it would be completely plausible that I would buy 4 matching shirts (twinsies with all the girls).

In the case of the Oogie popcorn buckets for example, if I was wanting to get one for all 4 boys, I would be stuck either waiting in line twice hoping they don't run out, or finding another outlet to get the ones I couldn't get on my own at the park. In the case of Oogie, that might mean an unplanned trip over to el Capitan to pick up the ones I couldn't get in the parks. As I often tell my daughters, someone has to be the last one--the end of the line, the bottom of the growth curve, the person who lost the race by mere seconds, the person who was wait listed, etc. Its not aalways a happy feeling, but its the reality of the world.

I totally see how limits would help... But figuring out that limit is a tough line to draw.

In m opinion, most "limited edition" things sold (not just Disney) are just given that label so people think there is additional value and therefore something they have to buy. Bottom line is that most of this stuff is just stuff. Collectables of all kinds have gone through phases where it is the must have item of the day. Think about Hummels, Precious Moments, Beanie Babies, Cabbage Patch dolls, etc. In the end, most of this stuff will gather dust in your attic. I know my opinion may not be popular on this thread, but it is just my opinion. If you enjoy this stuff, go ahead and buy it. If Disney doesn't put a limit on how many of an item someone can buy, I don't think anyone should consider a person rude or selfish just because they want more than you think they should buy or if they want to make a few bucks buying and then reselling them.

So, I’m wondering peoples thoughts on limited edition merchandise purchase etiquette.

I went to the parks on Sunday. Due to work and family obligations I couldn’t go during the week or Saturday, and didn’t arrive until about 3 pm Sunday. First thing I did was go to the pin store at DCA and I got in line for the Oogie Boogie Limited Edition AP pin, which they still had displayed in the case. Unfortunately the guy in front of me got the very last 2 pins, even though he knew I also wanted one (we had discussed it and he knew I was disappointed that they were out). The guy and CM tried to give me possible locations where they may have some left, but unfortunately every place had sold out, many that morning. I did end up running into him later that day (we recognized each other due to sports teams shirts we were wearing), and he knew I didn’t have any luck.

I understand your disappointment in not getting your pin. However, first come first served.
Also, in situations where there is limited supply, it's especially important to get in line early.
The onus is on the purchaser to get in line early enough to make his/her purchase.
It's not the responsibility of other people in the line to ensure that the people behind them are able to make their purchase.

I understand that due to work & family obligations, you weren't able to get to the parks earlier but unfortunately, the first come first served policy still applies and the chance that your desired item will be sold out increases the longer you wait.

Now, I don’t know what his exact situation was, but I think he just bought 2 pins, one for himself and another for his wife (both middle aged). Thinking back on it, I was a bit annoyed that once he knew it was the last 2 pins, and I wanted one too, he didn’t agree to just get one and let me get the other.

As you mentioned above, you do not know the other guy's exact situation and that you "think" he bought 2 pins ... one for himself and one for his wife (both middle aged).

Who he bought the 2 pins for is irrelevant ... perhaps he bought 2 pins for his grandchildren, his friends, his co-workers etc.. None of this matters because, unfortunately, it's still first come first served so he was entitled to make his purchases first.

Before I get flamed, I totally know that is not expected of him, and if I really wanted it I should have gotten there earlier (just wasn’t possible for me). I also never insinuated to him that he should let me buy one. I just know when it’s something in limited supply I usually only get one to leave others for other people who want; for example, i waited for an Oogie Boogie popcorn bucket and could have gotten 2, one for me and one for my sister, but knew there was a lot of people who wanted them too, so only got 1.

The following is my impression from reading your post ... I do not mean to sound like I am not dumping on you ... I am strictly just explaining the impression I got from reading your post:

Despite you stating "I totally know that is not expected of him, and if I really wanted it I should have gotten there earlier" the "impression" that I got from reading your post above is that you actually did expect him to only purchase 1 pin and to leave the 2nd pin for you to purchase.

This impression was reinforced when I read your comment "Thinking back on it, I was a bit annoyed that once he knew it was the last 2 pins, and I wanted one too, he didn’t agree to just get one and let me get the other.".

Why did I get this impression?

The reason is because instead of being OK with the policy of first come, first served (even in limited merchandise situations), you are asking others what they think about "merchandise etiquette". This leads me to conclude that you believe there is some unwritten "merchandise etiquette" that the other guy breached.

I commend your personal thoughtfulness when you purchase limited merchandise. It's a very kind gesture on your part and, as you've experienced first hand, not everyone is able or willing to make those gestures. However, having acknowledged your personal thoughtfulness, others are not obligated nor should they be expected to be the same way.

Why do I think this?

There were no posted purchase limits so the other guy did not break any purchasing limits.

The other guy did not buy an outrageous amount of pins. He only bought 2 and unfortunately, they were the last 2 pins.

He was also first in line so he was entitled to make his purchase first. Unfortunately, that meant you weren't able to make your purchase. Sadly, there will always be someone disappointed in these situations because even if the other guy had left the 2nd pin for you, the person behind you would have been disappointed if they too were looking for the same pin. Someone will always end up being the person to buy the last item and it just happened to be the other guy in front of you. As another poster points out in his/her comments, this is a fact of life and it sucks.

Also, it's irrelevant knowing for whom the pins were purchased because, again, first come first served. It really does not matter as to the reasons behind the quantity purchased or who will be the final recipients of the pins.

To digress a bit ... speculating that the other guy purchased the last 2 pins for himself and his wife probably adds to your disappointment. It's highly likely that he purchased the pins (1 or both) as gifts and he "needed" both pins especially in a "gift" situation. For example, if the 2 pins were intended for his 2 grandchildren then he would need 2 pins. Some might argue that the grandchildren could share the 1 pin but it would be difficult to do so if they weren't siblings (same household) but were cousins (different household).

Anyway, good luck in tracking down the pin that you missed. :-) Sorry you met with disappointment last time.

What do other people think?

How much was the list price in the parks? My guess is that $25 shipped still includes a pretty good mark-up...somewhere in the range of half the value depending on the original cost of the pin. If it was one of the lavender pins, $16.95, then it would have been about $15 with AP discount (which you have to have to get the AP pin) and tax. Assuming $2 for shipping, they're still making $8 for each pin they're selling.

I also collect pins, but not because of the monetary value. I collect the ones I like and I'd be inclined to think that more people buy pins because they like them opposed to buying something they think will be worth a lot of money in the future. I would also like to see Disney increase the edition size for the LE pins...maybe a minimum of 5,000 (opposed to the 2,500 or 3,000 that seems the most common) especially for ones that have popular characters.

$3 for shipping
$2.50 for ebay fees (10% of amount it sold for)
$1 for PayPal fees (2.9% + $0.30)
$0.50 for shipping supplies (bubble envelope and bubbles)
======
$7 in fees
plus $15 for the pin
equals $22

So, woop, they are making $3 for the pin.

and you will see that the higher the LE size, the less collectible it is.

Most LE pins release on Thursdays and, depending on LE size, sell out the same day.

I collect pins too. I started with hidden mickeys and then got sucked into LEs. LOL.

While I would be disappointed at not getting a pin, I wouldn't hold it against the person in front of me who got two. There were probably many, many people ahead of that person who bought multiple pins, so they were also part of the reason why you didn't get one.

$3 for shipping
======
$7 in fees
plus $15 for the pin
equals $22

Most LE pins release on Thursdays and, depending on LE size, sell out the same day.

I collect pins too. I started with hidden mickeys and then got sucked into LEs. LOL.
Good to know about the fees, thought I still think they’re making more than that - otherwise they wouldn’t be doing it (bulk supplies, least cost shipping, etc.) - either that or they’re selling so much because they distribute their costs over many sales. So while they don’t make a lot, I still disagree with the statement that they’re only selling it for a “few dollars more” than the price in the park. It’s still $10 more than what a guest would pay themselves ($15 versus $25). So while I’m glad they’re not making much money, there is still a considerable mark up over the price paid by a fellow guest in the park.

I guess ultimately, I’m somewhat jaded about the large volume resellers. I ended up in line behind one when the 60th Anniversary popcorn buckets was released. He bought like 20 of them. He was actually bragging about how many buckets he was buying for “friends”. He was explaining to other person how he only asked them to pay a little extra to cover gas to get the parks, about $20 per bucket over the base price. Given the buckets were $15, he was charging his “friends” more than double ($35). I accept that the resellers are out there to make money, but it was his “I’m doing everyone a huge favor” attitude that was annoying.

I’ve bought from eBay and used a personnel shopper, so I understand that sometimes that is the only way to get something I’ve really wanted. So I don’t condemn them as a whole, but I do wish Disney would do something to make it easier for everyone to get want they want without having to resort to the resale market.

I thought of another thing that would help, along with increasing the edition sizes, I wish they would offer more LE items via the Shop Parks App. That would help the domestic fans get pins and other items for the same price as in the parks.

Last edited:
I thought of another thing that would help, along with increasing the edition sizes, I wish they would offer more LE items via the Shop Parks App. That would help the domestic fans get pins and other items for the same price as in the parks.

They probably will, but if it's like it used to be (when you could order via the phone), you had to wait 2 weeks to 1 month after the release in order to purchase LE items.

$3 for shipping
======
$7 in fees
plus $15 for the pin
equals $22

With an annual pass discount, the cost would be lower (so either $13.50 or $12.75, depending on annual pass level) And you know they're APs who arrive on the first day of sale to buy up the product (not knocking on APs at all, just stating they're obviously getting the discount). Still not making enough for the hassle, though. Why not just let the people who actually want them purchase? I'll never understand the thinking behind it.

With an annual pass discount, the cost would be lower (so either $13.50 or $12.75, depending on annual pass level) And you know they're APs who arrive on the first day of sale to buy up the product (not knocking on APs at all, just stating they're obviously getting the discount). Still not making enough for the hassle, though. Why not just let the people who actually want them purchase? I'll never understand the thinking behind it.

One of the people above said the pin was $16.95 and $15 with the AP discount.

It seems like a waste of time to stand in line to make a few bucks but it is what it is. People were buying up those AP popcorn buckets (to get the $1 refill as long as you had an AP) and reselling those.

They probably will, but if it's like it used to be (when you could order via the phone), you had to wait 2 weeks to 1 month after the release in order to purchase LE items.
They still do that for merchandise mail order. I was more thinking that they could double the edition size and dedicate those to the Shop Parks App on release day. I’ve found that for the Shop Parks App they get some things directly from the parks, but some things come from a central warehouse location not at the parks...they could have an allocation distributed from there for folks that are not located near the parks. It won’t help with the popcorn buckets and things like that because those are not considered “merchandise”, but it would be a start.

Agreed. This feels unfair. Perhaps they should limit them to two per guest.

They're supposed to limited the LE pins to two per person or a maximum of two per transaction (at least they used to). So this person should not have been allowed to buy three pins with one AP all in the same transaction. I wish they would enforce the rules more consistently.

Yes, the official limit is two - especially if an AP comes into play. But it's pot luck if that happens, especially at Little Green Men Store Command.

I wanted Oogie too and that pin was just ridiculously popular. The friend who was supposed to grab it for me forgot and I had to look for it at a pin trading event that took place on the weekend. Even most of the traders didn't have it. It was just so popular with park visitors.

So, I’m wondering peoples thoughts on limited edition merchandise purchase etiquette.

I went to the parks on Sunday. Due to work and family obligations I couldn’t go during the week or Saturday, and didn’t arrive until about 3 pm Sunday. First thing I did was go to the pin store at DCA and I got in line for the Oogie Boogie Limited Edition AP pin, which they still had displayed in the case. Unfortunately the guy in front of me got the very last 2 pins, even though he knew I also wanted one (we had discussed it and he knew I was disappointed that they were out). The guy and CM tried to give me possible locations where they may have some left, but unfortunately every place had sold out, many that morning. I did end up running into him later that day (we recognized each other due to sports teams shirts we were wearing), and he knew I didn’t have any luck.

Now, I don’t know what his exact situation was, but I think he just bought 2 pins, one for himself and another for his wife (both middle aged). Thinking back on it, I was a bit annoyed that once he knew it was the last 2 pins, and I wanted one too, he didn’t agree to just get one and let me get the other.

Before I get flamed, I totally know that is not expected of him, and if I really wanted it I should have gotten there earlier (just wasn’t possible for me). I also never insinuated to him that he should let me buy one. I just know when it’s something in limited supply I usually only get one to leave others for other people who want; for example, i waited for an Oogie Boogie popcorn bucket and could have gotten 2, one for me and one for my sister, but knew there was a lot of people who wanted them too, so only got 1.

What do other people think?
I would have bought one and left the next one for you.

He was certainly within his rights. That said, if the guy was considerate, he would have only purchased one. Jerk.
How is he a jerk? That seems unfair. Maybe he wanted one for him and one for his kid. Should he go without because he got there before the OP? If he was buying a lot a could understand the frustration but buying 2 is not excessive.

sooo, to summarise, while in line to pay for merchandise, you make eye contact with the person standing behind you and have a 2 minute conversation. During this conversation you find out that the person behind you wants to buy the same merchandise as you. This person standing behind you in the line then EXPECTS you not to purchase the amount of merchandise you have the means to buy and which are available to to buy. This is because the person behind you thinks its mean and rude to buy more than one of said merchandise. You now get called a jerk because the merchandise is now sold out and there is none left for the person behind you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!