Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

tltay2005

DIS Veteran
Two early for any definite paths and predictions, but those planning a trip during this time frame, please keep an eye out for updates on Irma. Myfoxhurricane.com and the NOAA web sites have very accurate information. This is the 11am update from today, 9/4/17.
models_storm1.jpg 145912_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

I'm just not buying that sudden turn north on Fox showing Irma suddenly going right up middle of Florida. I saw that and something about it just says "let's show worse case scenario". In other words, I hope they are bad off as a direct path up the panhandle would be horrible.

I usually stick with your second mentioned option which is NOAA and their forecast discussion. Latest maps are pulling path now just north of Cuba.

Either way, this thing rolls into the Gulf and it's bad news for lots of people.

Originally they said it would curl out into the Atlantic and just over last few days have big time changed to a more Westward course, so like you said, lot of time for a lot to change.

Latest map as of now
204223_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
Will be interesting to keep posting these updates to track it.

Last edited:
This could make for an entertaining drive down on 9/15.

It's fascinating that all the models seem to be lining up on a similar path. It should make for some drama over the next 10 days.

j

1) Remember, if Irma even gets close, ALL camping guests MUST leave The Fort.
. . . it is a forced evacuation
. . . if possible, leave with your camper/RV
. . . if not, WDW will try to put you up in a WDW resort room.
2) I have been through two hurricanes at WDW, and so far, no major impact.
3) But, I would never try to outguess a hurricane.

NOTE: We lived through a direct hit from Hugo in Charlotte, and do not want that experience again.

We still plan on leaving Michigan on Sunday, watching the weather on the way. Guess we will play it by ear. Pack some extra food and water. Not sure what to do.

As of this morning
120644_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

We live about 200 miles inland in Mississippi. When hurricane Katrina reached my home of Meridian it was still a category 1. I don't want to see that ever again myself.

Ugh I'm scheduled to fly in to Orlando on Saturday. Not looking good for me.

The GFS model is one of the more reliable models that the weather prognosticators rely on. Here is a link to the GFS model "storm track" starting this morning and ending September 12. Click on the FWD button to put it in motion.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/gfstc2.cgi?time=2017090506&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=Animation

Ugh, right up the East coast of Florida and Georgia before running into the Carolinas. That old girl has reached Category 5 as of now. I'm really hoping it turns more out to the Atlantic and sooner than this projection.

Ugh, right up the East coast of Florida and Georgia before running into the Carolinas. That old girl has reached Category 5 as of now. I'm really hoping it turns more out to the Atlantic and sooner than this projection.

As a category 5 the size of Pennsylvania, no track she can take is going to be good, unless it went hard right and stayed out to see. Unfortunately the Bermuda high is going to prevent that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!