Mermaid Lagoon into 20,000 Leagues?

MikePezz

1,000th happy haunt
Family friend just hinted to me that they are considering placing Disney Seas "Titon's Castle" with the indoor attractions into the old 20,000 Leagues Lagoon. It was an idea he heard casually mentioned at a department head meeting. I know that doesnt' mean it is greenlighted or anything, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

Sort of werid though, since the Mad Tea Cups are right there. Would they include the sea-weed cup spinners?

The only thing that makes me skeptical about your friend's idea is that Disney has yet to place two castles in the same park. If King Triton's Castle were to be placed right behind Cinderella's Castle I think that it would clash with the scale of the MKs iconic figure. I have say however that Mermaid Lagoon at TDS is absolutely stunning. Below is a link to laughingplace.com's archives. On the site you'll see various pictures of this area, including KTs castle at the bottom of the page. Each image has a link below it that allows you to blow them up to full screen size. The larger file pictures really bring out the detail.

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID504620.asp

I tend to believe that Mermaid Lagoon would be a nice fit at Disneyland's proposed third park, the one that is water-based in theme. I think we'll probably see it on a smaller scale there before we get to see it in Florida. I hope I'm proven wrong.

IRODK-
When I first saw the mermaid lagoon, I thought that this would be something that they could do interesting with the 20K lagoon, too - the flounder style kiddie coaster (or one of those dangling ones like they have at the hershey park that someone posted a link to) would look sort of nifty over the water in the lagoon (if they theme it well; it has the possiblity of being another dinorama, too, if they don't), and the interactive sort of elements could go in the show building from the 20k attraction (that show building should be pretty big in there behind the waterfall).

But I quickly had the same thought that you did, that it wouldn't be wise to have a second castle in the magic kingdom; but I think they could do the same "sort" of thing - basically off the shelf kiddie rides and an interactive walk through - without the castle itself. It could be a cave that leads down to the mysterious undersea world of the little mermaid, or ursala's scary grotto or whatever, and not Triton's castle.

My point is that just because it is in a castle in Tokyo doesn't mean that the same sort of concept and attractions couldn't be pulled off in another setting in wdw. It has the potential for being cheap and ugly, but fantasyland is a good place for kiddie rides if you ask me, and it could be cooler and more current than the storybook land canal boats.

DR

PS here are links to laughing place.com for part 2 of the mermaid lagoon pics:
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID504660.asp

and part 3:
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID504670.asp

I think that, if done right, this would be great. I don't think I would add any of the carnival rides (not that I have anything against carnival rides, but with Fantasyland and Goofy's Barnstormer neerby, it would seem redundant). Maybe they could expand Ariel's Grotto and have the interacticve walk through and a boat ride based on the film.

It has the potential for being cheap and ugly, but fantasyland is a good place for kiddie rides if you ask me, and it could be cooler and more current than the storybook land canal boats.
I don't know, I love the idea for Storybookland and would love it to come to MK (although I know this is never going to happen).

Storybookland is Awsome. If I am ever incharge you can bet WDW gets Storybookland. With diiffernet movies represented.

Now you'll just have to deal with the toxic fumes in the building and a disgusting lagoon. That home you just won, the one that you didn't enter, is a huanted mansion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter