Mickey Lamp - detailed instructions

Yes, I've had several folks tell me about running the drill in reverse. I haven't tried it.

I've made about 50 lamps and I only cracked one globe, a long time ago.

The key thing to remember is to keep the drill moving.
Do not let the drill stop from the time you begin the cut until the hole is finished!
The second you stop the drill the melted acrylic begins to harden and will snag the drill!

Keep it moving all the time and you shouldn't have a problem.

CDC Cruiser,
Sorry for the slow reply,but the information you provided is great. Went to HD with my list and picked up all the pieces needed, including hole saw. Next on agenda is to start/finish project, my wife says to get it finished before our next trip.

Another task to put on my list of things to do... .Now if I can only find the end of the list to add it to? :rotfl:

801c8f8e5eef9fc5aa77c19343a688ac.jpg

The first of two Mickey lamps my DH made! This is the adorable shorter one, and a taller, even more awesome one will be finished shortly. Both are solar and color-changing. Thanks to everyone who posted instructions and tips/hints on this board--they were invaluable!

Model is Eva, shown here for size (lamp=1 1/3 pittie mix tall)

View attachment 259412

The first of two Mickey lamps my DH made! This is the adorable shorter one, and a taller, even more awesome one will be finished shortly. Both are solar and color-changing. Thanks to everyone who posted instructions and tips/hints on this board--they were invaluable!

Solar - how interesting!

Bama Ed

Nice little lamp. I just shattered my 12 inch globe trying to cut the ear holes. I should have run the hole saw in reverse like I was going to.

Oh well, Amazon is my friend.

j

Nice little lamp. I just shattered my 12 inch globe trying to cut the ear holes. I should have run the hole saw in reverse like I was going to.

Oh well, Amazon is my friend.

j

One thing I did when cutting the holes for the ears was to use the 2 inch blue painters tape on the globe where I cut the ears. I was generous (yep....pretty much covered the globe. Roll of tape was cheaper than another globe) with it also. It stabilizes the globe as the hole saw cuts through. Just an idea that worked for me.
Steve

One thing I did when cutting the holes for the ears was to use the 2 inch blue painters tape on the globe where I cut the ears.
Thanks Steve. I did put tape on, but the pilot drill bit I used on the hole saw didn't want to cut. I pushed harder than I needed and when it finally cut the pilot hole, the teeth on the hole saw ripped a big chunk of the plastic out.

Live and learn. I've cut things like this before and always had the best luck running the drill backwards. The saw rubs/melts it's way through, but you don't have as much risk of it biting and cracking. Either way, $26 latter and I have another one being delivered Tuesday.

j

I have a question about these. Can I use the glass 6" globes for the ears or do they need to be of the plastic variety?

I have a question about these. Can I use the glass 6" globes for the ears or do they need to be of the plastic variety?

You could use glass if it has a "lip" on it, but I'd use the plastic - much lighter.

Yeah, I'd stick with plastic. Home Depot has 6" globes for about $5; we just bought four more for a couple more Mickey lamps. They are so much lighter than glass globes, which we did initially use.

View attachment 259412

Hi, I was wondering how you made yours solar? :worship:

Hi, I was wondering how you made yours solar? :worship:

When you look at instructions for other lamps, you'll see that they use typical lamp construction. For a solar, simply buy a solar globe (got ours on Amazon) in the right dimensions, and two smaller globes for ears (don't need to be solar). The solar globe is acrylic/plastic, cut easily for the ear holes and ear-globes were attached as normal. The difference here is that the solar charging panel must be on the back of the head, so that it will get enough sunlight, and so that you can access the panel easily to change colors or whatever (because it does color changing, solid color of your choice, or just white). It's completely waterproof, and we've had enough storms to test it lately. Attach bottom of solar globe to whatever stand you're using--but you don't need to cut a hole, since you aren't using any wiring or installing a bulb like in a typical lamp.

Good luck and I hope you make one! I love love love ours!

PS DH says he can make you a solar head if you want, unsure of cost & shipping as of this moment, but he can figure it out :)

When you look at instructions for other lamps, you'll see that they use typical lamp construction. For a solar, simply buy a solar globe (got ours on Amazon) in the right dimensions, and two smaller globes for ears (don't need to be solar). The solar globe is acrylic/plastic, cut easily for the ear holes and ear-globes were attached as normal. The difference here is that the solar charging panel must be on the back of the head, so that it will get enough sunlight, and so that you can access the panel easily to change colors or whatever (because it does color changing, solid color of your choice, or just white). It's completely waterproof, and we've had enough storms to test it lately. Attach bottom of solar globe to whatever stand you're using--but you don't need to cut a hole, since you aren't using any wiring or installing a bulb like in a typical lamp.

Good luck and I hope you make one! I love love love ours!

PS DH says he can make you a solar head if you want, unsure of cost & shipping as of this moment, but he can figure it out :)

Awesome! We're working on our regular, electric, Mickey lamp now! Thanks for the instructions :) Thank you for the offer, too, you're very kind!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!