Mickey ponchos?

kuhltiffany

DIS Veteran
So we're trying to avoid checked luggage, packing light and only what we need. We're going in August so will definitely need some protection from the rain...tel me about Mickey ponchos. ::MickeyMo How much are they? Is it better to just wait and buy them for the 3 of us when we get there to save on luggage space? Or take our own, or buy a bunch from the dollar store? We'll be there for 11 days, if that makes a difference...

I never bought a Mickey one, but we decided with August usually getting rain we would skip the dollar store ones this trip for something we could reuse.

The only comment I would make about the Disney ponchos is that they will replace them for free if they get ripped. We're on year three of ours.

Skip the $ store. Walmart has a good weight one, actually better quality than Disney and cheaper. They are solid colors, not the character ones. They are really used for outside workers, camping etc. Think they are by Totes.

If you can find good weight solid ones outside of the parks, get those. Skip the cheap dollar store ones though. Not worth it. If you don’t want to haul good heavier ponchos with you, just budget for the Disney ones. They are good quality, and as said, the CMs will take care of you if there is an issue with them. So while expensive, they’re a pretty fair deal. I don’t remember the price off hand, but someone will have it.

I got the Coleman brand ones from Walmart. I got the actual rain jackets, with full arms instead of the ponchos. I like the way they fit better. The kids used theirs for several years and had to get adult ones because theirs got too small. They were $10.50. The poncho style was around the same price. As another poster said, they can be found in the camping section.

We store them in a ziplock back then put them back in when the rain stops. Once back to the hotel we hang them up and dry them off to repack for the next day. We had done the dollar tree ones in the past, but the Coleman rain coats kept us much dryer.

Hmmm, just thinking. Are the Mickey ones all the same color or are there choices? It may be hard to keep track of the kids if there is a sea of the same Mickey ponchos all around!

Target near Disney World has Disney character ponchos for adults and kids. For the kids there are more options of a few different characters; for adults I saw Mickey or Minnie options.

Hmmm, just thinking. Are the Mickey ones all the same color or are there choices? It may be hard to keep track of the kids if there is a sea of the same Mickey ponchos all around!

They're made of a frosted clear plastic, so you can still see clothing underneath them. Much better than when they were yellow, and everyone looked like a bunch of rubber ducks walking around! :)

We always bring disposable ponchos with us. For next week's trip, I'm bringing 3 apiece. Those that don't get used (hopefully all of them) come back home, to be used at some point down the road.

To be honest, I like the Walmart and Target ones better than the dollar store ponchos. They're packed smaller, so they're less bulky to carry around in the parks. They come in either clear or colors, depending on what your store has in stock. And they're a bit more than a dollar-- ballpark $1.79 or so apiece.

Well worth it in my book.

We paid around $10 each at the Disney store in Disney Springs but what I didn't realize is that the cast member had sold us three of the child size ones (they were behind the counter so I didn't look at them prior to purchase). They worked but it was a little short for my husband and I.

We love our Lands End Navigator rain jackets for the parks. They are light weight, dry fast and pack away into the jacket's pocket and has a loop for carrying it. They still sell them in kids sizes but I'm not sure that they have them for adults anymore unless they renamed them.

I also bought several $ store ponchos to cover the stroller in case of a rain storm while it was parked. I used small binder clips to attach it.

I bought mine years ago. My family bought some in 2012. They're still going strong. I want to say they were about $10-12? I'm not sure what they are now, but I'd imagine anywhere from $10-15. I've gotten several trips' worth of use out of them, and use outside of the parks as well at concerts, festivals, and other large outdoor events.

I prefer the heavier vinyl (or vinyl-like) material of the Disney ones. It's thicker, and doesn't cling to my body like the thin bag ones. I find all the dollar-store ones are more or less garbage bags. Not even garbage bags; they're ultra-thin can liners like they use in schools and offices. I've also found that I tend to tear them before they're even on my body.

Once I'm done with them, I roll them up to a small round package that's about the size of a fast-food burrito, and stuff it into a Ziploc bag. I hang it up to dry fully at the hotel each night I've used it. I'd rather reuse a Disney one indefinitely than spend $1-2 each trip or event I need one to buy a cheap disposable. It adds up quickly.

We’ve had our Disney ponchos since 2004! We only use them in Disney-and we haven’t used them every year-last two trips in the spring no rain at all and last August maybe used them once? They fold up fairly small-I put them in the pocket outside my suitcase.

New question, how big are they? My daughter just broke her foot so we'll be pushing her in a wheelchair. Just wondering if it's large enough to sort of slip over the whole thing to keep her dry... This cast takes planning to a whole new level!

New question, how big are they? My daughter just broke her foot so we'll be pushing her in a wheelchair. Just wondering if it's large enough to sort of slip over the whole thing to keep her dry... This cast takes planning to a whole new level!
They’re fine with a wheelchair but they don’t cover it’s wheelchair. The Disney ponchos are the way to go!!

We leave in less than a week and I bought Mickey and Minnie ones on Amazon with prime. They were about $10 each but I'd rather have them than not and getting them ahead oftime for me was worth the cost.

I just paid $40 for a family of four to get them. It was an emergency buy and we were very reluctant to buy them, I personally dont care for them but my wife and kids did.

What we like about the park ones is that if they RIP or get damaged they will simply replace them. This is a nice benefit when you have young kids who tend to fly about in them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter