Mickey Shirt with Bleach?

erinmomof2

Mouseketeer
I saw on a thread a while back, a family that made Mickey Head shirts using a colored t-shirt and bleach. I remember the exact directions were posted but I cannot find the thread now. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I do not know of the thread you are talking about, but I can tell you what I did...

I bought solid colored tank tops and traced an image onto the shirt with pencil. Then I used a clorox bleach pen to follow my sketch. (Make sure you put newspaper or cardboard in between the shirt.) I let it set for a day or two then washed it as normal by itself. It came out great!

Another thing you can do it trace an image onto a shirt (I used a disney coloring book) with pencil, then go over your pencil line with white elmer's glue. Let it dry and then use the spray tie dye to color the shirt. After the dye dries launder it as normal and the glue and pencil will wash out leaving a white outline. I made that shirt 2 years ago and it still looks great!

I used a Mickey head stencil that I had cut out, and laid it on top of a solid color shirt. I put bleach in a spray bottle and then sprayed around the stencil. If you do it this way make sure you put cardboard in the shirt to keep the bleach from bleeding through to the other side of the shirt. Also, let the shirts dry completely before you hang them up. The bleach WILL run, as I discovered on my first attempt! Hope this helps!

This is how mine turned out:

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

I used a Mickey head stencil that I had cut out, and laid it on top of a solid color shirt. I put bleach in a spray bottle and then sprayed around the stencil. If you do it this way make sure you put cardboard in the shirt to keep the bleach from bleeding through to the other side of the shirt. Also, let the shirts dry completely before you hang them up. The bleach WILL run, as I discovered on my first attempt! Hope this helps!

Love these designs! Would you say ...the darker shirts work better?

This is how mine turned out:

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

This is what I was looking for. I knew it was something super easy. Now I just need to go out and buy a spray bottle and I'm all set!

Thanks!
Erin

Love these designs! Would you say ...the darker shirts work better?

Most definitely. However, I didn't think through my process and was a little suprised that the purple turned to pink with the bleach - I was hoping for white (I just wasn't thinking clearly!). Luckily, the men in our family are going to wear the orange shirts and the women purple...otherwise, it could have been weird! :)

Anybody think this would work with fabric spray paint? Michael's had some spray paint next to the tie-die kits. I was thinking of a black shirt with gold spray fabric paint & a stencil. Any thoughts?

I don't think I can do the tie dye because I don't sew, but I know I can do these. Thanks for posting!

Another thing you can do it trace an image onto a shirt (I used a disney coloring book) with pencil, then go over your pencil line with white elmer's glue. Let it dry and then use the spray tie dye to color the shirt. After the dye dries launder it as normal and the glue and pencil will wash out leaving a white outline. I made that shirt 2 years ago and it still looks great!

that sounds cool! could you post a pic of it so I can see how it looked? :cool1:

I've used elmer's and this year used resist to make spiral Mickeys on shirts. In the end, I am not sure which one I liked the best. The glue spreads and needed to be reapplied. The resist is a gel and it was hard to see where it was on the shirt. I actually went over it with a paintbrush also.

I think the resist came off easier. I threw it in the washer. The glue I rinsed by hand, though I have heard that others just throw it in the washer.

I used a bleach pen on my tye dye shirts and the best hint with that is....use a new pen! I made a shirt this year for my niece and used an old pen. It took 2 tries and nothing happened. I bought a new pen and the dye changed immediately!

I have pics if anyone if they would help anyone.

Also, the stencils can be made with freezer paper too. Cut them out, iron on, and remove when the fabric paint is dry.

Pics of my spiral Mickey heads and tye dye with bleach pen. Sorry there are no faces....I don't post pics of my kids or myself. :rolleyes1

Here is my first attempt using Elmer's Glue.
PA100377_3.jpg

Last year's shirt. I used freezer paper for the solid Mickey heads and ironed them on to make the stencils.
PA090313_2.jpg

This year my nephew insisted on a green only shirt. I snuck in some yellow, but overall it didn't photograph too well. This one I used with the resist. I edited the photo to show the detail. The lines are not as smooth and some areas I missed.
PA020320_2.jpg

OP, I have seen some people say that bleach does different things to different colored shirts. Be sure to test it first. Some bleach the color out, some make them funky mud colors.

Here is the shirt without editing.
PA020320.jpg

First attempt with Tye dye & Bleach pen. (rhinestones added for dancing daughter who loves her bling)
PA080180_2_2.jpg

This year's shirt for my niece. Old Bleach pen did nothing and it took me 2 tries to realize it. (apply, let dry and wash & dry) New pen worked great! For her shirt I used a washable crayola marker to outline the mickey head before the bleach pen. It faded right out. For DD's shirt above, I used a pencil and it still is there.
DSCI0352_2.jpg

Hope these help some. LMK if you have any questions.

Sorry I just now got back over to this section of the boards. Here is full size photo...

Spraytiedye.jpg

And here is a close up...If I can find pictures of the other shirts I did in that bunch I will post those as well.

CloseDaisy-1.jpg

On the close up you can see where a portion of her bow got a little too much glue on it. For the rest of the shirt I used a paint bottle (filled with glue) that had a pin-sized tip and it worked much better! I only had to launder the shirts once, all of the glue came right out.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2390932

This is a thread I started with super-simple instructions for spiral Mickey-head shirts made with a bleach pen. I have some directions & a template available to anyone who wants it- send me a pm.

I made these shirts for my DDs & I. They were super simple and they look great :) Thanks for the idea!! I'll post a pic from my laptop tomorrow if anyone wants to see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!