Mickey Waffles Zero; Cucumbers are my Heroes! A September AND December 2020 Dining Report *Festival of the Holidays 1/31*

OMG all of your food plans look delicious. Have a great time! This will be the first time in FOREVER that we aren't visiting WDW for Thanksgiving on an even year. We had been going pretty much every other year for quite some time, but last time was Nov. 2018 and I guess we won't be back until maybe 2020 at this point.

Food lineup looks good. Would you believe I've never had a whoopie pie before? I'm not sure if I've even ever seen one!
Ha! I didn't have one as a kid because I'm not a huge fan of marshmallow anything but since this has a cream cheese filling, I'm in!
OMG all of your food plans look delicious. Have a great time!
Thanks! It's almost the best part of a Disney trip as you know.
This will be the first time in FOREVER that we aren't visiting WDW for Thanksgiving on an even year.
Let's just go with you WILL be back for 2021! And then go with odd years :goodvibes After 2020 it seems appropriate to switch things to odd anyway!

If I don't get back to this before we leave, I hope you all enjoy the holiday! I know for some of you it may be different than other years, so whether you're with 2 family members OR 20, be safe and be happy you're able to spend the time with those you love!
So true my friend. Have a great trip if we don't talk again before you leave. 😘 :wave:

6 days to go and we're back!
Yes, next Wednesday we leave bright and early for our Disney Thanksgiving 🦃 Started packing a bit tonight but probably won't do much more until Monday! I know I wrote about what we're eating on Thanksgiving day but thought I'd do a quick rundown of what we plan to eat for the whole trip.

Of course there is about a 95% chance a good part of this will change as per what we do!

Wednesday: some type of Epcot QS; probably in Mexico, possibly France. We're always starving when we arrive regardless of time, our flight lands around 10 so I figure we'll hopefully get to the park by noon. We'll be taking a Lyft from MCO as usual.
Dinner is at Tutto Italia. We haven't eaten there since 2012! I didn't want to leave the park since it's our only day there and of the restaurants that are open there aren't a lot we like. Kind of looking forward to this? We liked it 8 years ago!
Thursday: lunch at Yak & Yeti with our Landry's card and then a 7:45 Boathouse reservation. It's the only time we plan on doing DS, I want to see the trees so hopefully it's not too crowded where we get uncomfortable and arrive-eat-go.
Friday: lunch was originally at Skippers; then during that glitch >:( I changed it to Tony's because I've been wanting to try it again and see if it's still bad lol. That disappeared and as of yet we haven't gotten a replacement so we'll either do Pecos Bill or, and this is my hope, go to the Poly so I can get these!

View attachment 539311

Mmmmm! Pulled Pork Nachos from Capt. Cooke's! Then dinner is at the Wave at 6 so if we want to return to the park afterwards it's easy.
Saturday: This will be fun! Right now I have a 7:20-that's 7:20am- Ale % Compass reservation. I made this before they changed the ROTR thing so we don't really need it now and will probably cancel so I don't have to fight to get two teenagers up.
We'll still get to HS early hopefully and then we have lunch at HBD so the 3rd time for Steve and I in 3 trips! Dinner right now is at Il Mulino. This is fine but it's replacing the ONE restaurant the kids requested and that's Narcoossees. I had it and then adjusted the time during that GLITCH so lost it SO annoying! Hoping to get it back. I originally replaced it with Shula's and that would be new to us but Ricky didn't like the menu.
Sunday: we leave, but not before a few MK hours and a lunch at the Plaza. I'll deal with the removal of my fried green tomato sandwich to make Ricky happy with his bottomless shake.

Breakfasts will mostly be something quick from Contempo Cafe or something quick in the park since I really, really want to get to the parks early every day. I'm the only one that's big on breakfast anyway but I'm sure a couple times while we're getting ready Steve will go over and grab food for us. I'm sure there will be a few holiday treats along the way too! One I definitely want to try is at HS and it's this:

Holiday Whoopie Pie – Red velvet whoopie pie filled with a classic cream cheese filling

View attachment 539323

Thanks Disney Food Blog! That sounds delicious and kind of reminds me of the Carrot Cake Cookie - but red velvet which to me is even better!

I don't think I'll do a dining report for that trip, but since the boys are on this one I'll probably do another TR. And while I think I'll finish my current TR before we leave I don't have those high hopes for this!

Meanwhile back in September we were starting our last full park day. But before we hit the park we were starting with a hearty breakfast! If you read my July TR this will be the 3rd time you're seeing these pictures because it was the 3rd time in 2 trips we ate the same things, they're just THAT good! We returned to Trattoria Al Forno for a not too early breakfast before going to AK. Steve got what he got on our first July visit there and what I got on our second:

Open-faced Italian Omelet
Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato-Basil Omelet, Sunday Gravy, Breakfast Potatoes, with Bacon or Sausage

View attachment 539313

As good as always and minus the Sunday Gravy as always. When I posted this in my TR the first time there was a little confusion about the gravy so let me clear it up: Sunday Gravy is technically marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce, called Sunday because Italians traditionally got together with family on Sundays and had lots of pasta. Gravy because while many call it "sauce", lots of Italians call it gravy.

I got what I got the first visit and Steve got our second:

Buttermilk Pancakes
Seasonal Compote with Bacon or Sausage

View attachment 539314

These are as fluffy and puffy and soft and delicious as they look and the fruit compote is never too sweet! it was strawberry in July and raspberry this time. This was another wonderful breakfast with another wonderful server, we've found they are super friendly. I can't remember our servers name but she pointed out a "runner" there who is normally a hostess at Flying Fish :( It's great she was brought back and she's probably happy to be working? But I think going from hostess to runner would stink kinda.

We caught a bus from BW to AK arriving about a half our or so after opening. We went straight to the safari where I realized another thing that was closed in July had opened, Dawa Bar 🙌

View attachment 539316

Since the safari line was backed up to the bar I attempted to get a drink right then, but the safari line began moving right away so we returned here later.
After the safari we went out to Rafiki's to do some drawing. They really have it set up well with chairs grouped together but physically distanced and it really was just as fun as always:

View attachment 539317

After a bit we returned for this naked baby:

View attachment 539319

Ah the Dawa Mary without the pretty candied bacon as they informed me before making it that they were out of garnish. No worries the taste was still great! We'll see if they have garnish next week.

While the drink is a bit filling we still needed more food by this time. Previously our only visit to Satuli Canteen was in 2017 during the Pandora AP previews, other than a stop I made during a work trip last year. At that time I was in a hurry so I got this off the kids menu:

"Teylu" All-Beef Hot Dog Wrapped in Dough
All-Beef Hot Dog wrapped in a Parker House Dough served with Vegetable Chips

View attachment 539320

Ok Ok it definitely looks.............."off"? "Interesting"? But it's so good! The roll is buttery and smooth and those veggie chips are also good. I swear last year they had a little kick to them but this time they didn't. I was surprised Steve didn't get a bowl but we had a TS dinner at night and he didn't want to fill up so this hit the spot for both of us.

The inside of the restaurant fits in with the outside land:

View attachment 539322

Afterwards we rode EE. Every time I walk through the queue for this I see something I never noticed before and this time it was this big ol' computer:

View attachment 539321

Which looks exactly like the one I had at my first job out of college! Earlier we'd caught some really awesome cavalcades on the water so now we'd done just about everything we wanted. It was 5:00 and the park was closing at 6 so we left to hang in the pool with our buds the @pepperandchips -es before we all went to our last supper at yet another new to Steve and I restaurant! Between our July and September trips we knocked 6 restaurants off the list of places we hadn't been yet.

If I don't get back to this before we leave, I hope you all enjoy the holiday! I know for some of you it may be different than other years, so whether you're with 2 family members OR 20, be safe and be happy you're able to spend the time with those you love!

Safe travels

So true my friend. Have a great trip if we don't talk again before you leave. 😘 :wave:
You'll get pictures don't worry :rotfl2:
Safe travels
:thanks:
It was just always so messy! And crowded, I didn't need COVID to not like all the people around there!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
& have a great trip :goodvibes
Thank you :hug:
Have a great trip, and Happy Thanksgiving! :)
Thank you, you also!

I just realized I was missing some reports, so went digging around and realized I was a few pages behind here!! All caught up again just in time for you to come home and hopefully write another new TR :)

Sunday Gravy is technically marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce, called Sunday because Italians traditionally got together with family on Sundays and had lots of pasta. Gravy because while many call it "sauce", lots of Italians call it gravy.
I didn't know about this until I started working at my current school 15 years ago! It's a very Italian neighborhood, so I found out quickly. Now I fee like I'm "in the know." :rotfl2:

I'm so sorry I missed your send off. I hope you had a great trip.

Enjoyed your update on you AK day. Looking forward to more.

just realized I was missing some reports, so went digging around and realized I was a few pages behind here!! All caught up again just in time for you to come home and hopefully write another new TR :)
Well gee, I'm glad you found it just in time for me to abandon it :laughing: Ugh work has been so busy and then add it getting ready for the holidays and I've barely been on the boards at all since our quick Disney/USO trip and haven't been able to start the Thanksgiving TR! But I'm going to get this running again and hopefully start that TR right after the 1st if not before!
I didn't know about this until I started working at my current school 15 years ago! It's a very Italian neighborhood, so I found out quickly. Now I fee like I'm "in the know." :rotfl2:
Haha around here you really don't meet anyone who doesn't know about this and when you do - we just look at them funny o_O
I'm so sorry I missed your send off. I hope you had a great trip.

Enjoyed your update on you AK day. Looking forward to more.
We did thank you! And eventually I'll get a TR started for both of them!

OMG guys it seems like forever since I was over here! I am so sorry; once we got back from our Thanksgiving trip I had 6 days until we left for my work trip to Disney/USO and now that we've been home from that, I've been in full on "get ready for Christmas" mode and work has been NUTS, so after being on the computer for 7-8 hours a day for that I just haven't had it in me to post. But I'm going to finish this so thanks for hanging in, I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!!

OMG guys it seems like forever since I was over here! I am so sorry; once we got back from our Thanksgiving trip I had 6 days until we left for my work trip to Disney/USO and now that we've been home from that, I've been in full on "get ready for Christmas" mode and work has been NUTS, so after being on the computer for 7-8 hours a day for that I just haven't had it in me to post. But I'm going to finish this so thanks for hanging in, I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!!
Good reasons to be scarce in these parts! :)

Ugh Steve wanted to leave but felt bad for the boys especially since it was part of Chris's birthday present but we really felt gross. Have you been to the one in New England? Just a totally different vibe and type of people! I liked Lady of the Lake Graveyard though :)

I've wanted to go to the one in New England! Maybe this summer we'll finally make it there.

LOL. I never have eaten dates alone but my grandmother used to make dessert bars with dates in them. Still had no idea exactly what they tasted like but the rest of the flatbread sounded delicious and in my head I just thought "sweet and savory". I don't even know how to describe what a date tastes like!

The rest of it does sound delicious and it sounds like I wouldn't notice them much lol.

Therefore we plan on doing Yak & Yeti with our Landry's card for lunch (we'll be in AK obviously)

Yum! A must-do for us every time lol

Gorgeous!

It also came with biscuits and gravy which I did not try because I don't like biscuits and gravy! Question: is that worse than not like Star Wars?

I don't like biscuits and gravy either and Mike thinks I'm insane lol. We did recently start watching the Star Wars movies on Disney+ and I liked them more than I ever expected too but I still wouldn't really call myself a fan.

The sad part is that these waffles were just as bad as the ones at Roaring Fork a few days earlier and on our July trip at Beach Club.

This makes my heart sad.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was! I'd heard good things; but breakfast our last time didn't wow me so I was feeling a little nervous about dinner.

We weren't impressed with breakfast there either but I've heard good reviews of dinner so maybe we'll give that a try!

But I'm going to finish this so thanks for hanging in, I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!!

Thank you for the delay- it gave me time to catch up lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts