Midwest Dismeet 2018

tigger92662

They're more like guidelines than actual rules
I thought I would move this thread over to here. Looking at putting together a Midwestern Dismeet.
So far it's Tigger92662, Teamubr, bjschil and ilovedisneymm. When everyone has a little free time, look at a calendar and let's throw out some possible dates and locations. I know Teamubr is St Louis ish, bjschil is in south Wisconsinish. I(tigger92662) am Chicago area, not sure about general area for ilovedisneymm. Along the Mississippi River seems to be a fair amount of State Parks and COE facilities. Let's keep in touch :cool1:

I think this would be a fun time for all. We are available most times, except weekendof a June 30. Family wedding. The joys of owning your business, 50 something, and adult sons who are involved as well,

I'll watch this and see what dates you settle on and location. We are currently planning on Mammoth Cave NP last week of July but I might could change things around a little possibly.

I'd love to meet up with some of you, but our summer is pretty full so it is not likely timing would work. I will stay tuned and jump in if timing and nature (our crew, I think, is younger than many who'd be gathering) seems to fit.

Count me in!

I am starting the camping season April 14th weekend, staying at St Louis West KOA. It is right across the highway from Six Flags. Good friends love it here. It's nice for a private cg, but a little pricey. Two weeks later we will be at Johnson Shut-Ins SP. https://mostateparks.com/park/johnsons-shut-ins-state-park
It is a nice Mo SP. Has some neat small river features, the "shut ins". Basically ancient lava rock that is much harder then the surrounding hills and it creates a very narrow valley for the river rapids. There was also an enormous levee breach in a power plant reservoir that dumped over a billion gallons of water down the tallest mountain in Mo. The scour path is incredible. Bus size rocks carried over a mile into the park valley. HERE's a story and pics.

After that, I don't have any reservations until GSP in September (8th-15th). I may add a few days at the Fort in front of this. I have a huge IT project going live on June 2nd. May and the first half of June will likely be out. for any camping. After that, I'm good for anywhere.

Starved Rock SP in Illinois is fairly central for many of us. It is on the Illinois River about half way between Bloomington and Rockford. I've never been there, but always wanted to. I think it is pretty popular with Chicagoans, which may make it hard to get into.

Melissa (Ilovedisneymom) lives outside Decatur and may have some ideas for something mid-state.

j

Jim, I will also check some sites in Iowa. But ones you mentioned look good to us.

Jim, since you'll be tied up 1st half of June (and probably ready for a break) Is weekend of 6/17-6/17 too early, maybe try for weekend 6/23-6/24.
Weekend after that leads into 4th of July and I'm on call that week. We are headed to Myrtle Beach end of July. Let's see what others think as well.

I will also check some sites in Iowa.
Barb, since you mentioned it, I have a cousin who lives near Des Moines (Disney Nut as well, with small Class C) and we've been looking at getting together this year. I'll text her and see if she has any recommendations.

Jim, since you'll be tied up 1st half of June (and probably ready for a break) Is weekend of 6/17-6/17 too early, maybe try for weekend 6/23-6/24.
I have told my staff no PTO 2 weeks before and after go live. The 17th weekend may be too soon. The 6/23-24 weekend would be safer.

Let’s see what everyone else can do.

j

I have checked my calendar/schedule and it looks like the weekend of 6/23-6/24 works pretty well for me.
Hopefully we can put something together soonly so we can all get reservations, otherwise we might all just end up at the bjschil farmstead and Barb and Bill will have us shovel you know what, LOL.
Barb have you found anything the Iowa way, the one in Thomson looks good

Oh, perfect, that is my birthday weekend. Will be celebrating with a great group of people. Des Moines is an easy drive for us, and to be honest, have never camped in Iowa. Tompson Illinois is nice. No railroad at the campground.- About a mile east in little Thompson. We have camped there many times, but have to watch out for “may-fly” season. I think those dates would work for those pesky bugs.
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73445

In looking, sites 120 -126 are avail, and a view of the Mississippi. Also, water is avail to add to your holding tanks. There are also some sites in the sites of 61 -64 and right across the road at 65-67. These are desired sites, and they are on the point. We have not camped in this area, but would like to. We have been in the 120-127 sites.

Electric. Dump station. Melissa, does this date work for you. Barb

Last edited:
I have checked my calendar/schedule and it looks like the weekend of 6/23-6/24 works pretty well for me.
Hopefully we can put something together soonly so we can all get reservations, otherwise we might all just end up at the bjschil farmstead and Barb and Bill will have us shovel you know what, LOL.
Barb have you found anything the Iowa way, the one in Thomson looks good

Tigerdad, we have a little campground “down in our bottom” that we use to just get away. It is private, 1/3 mile off paved highway, a limestone creek with several waterfalls, but no facilities. We do have two quiet Honda generators and also have access to water. Far away from the cow, slinging ****,and all other stuff. So that would be the last resort. We have hosted parties, campouts, a band with music, and of course, all the firewood anybody wants to cut! And for the adventurous, we have four Polaris Ranger UTV’s, two which are six seaters, to go “rangering”on the trails within our county.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread went a little quiet. I'm heading out this weekend for our first camping trip of the season. Staying close and camping at KOA of St Louis- West. It is across the interstate from Six Flags. Not my ideal place, but friends love it there and we are going to be camping by them. For some reason they don't like State Parks/COE campgrounds.

What are everyone's thoughts on Thomson Causeway?

Or somewhere more mid-state?

We should probably be trying to get reservations somewhere now if we'd like to have a Midwest DIS Meet.

j

I'd love to go out camping now, but the weather her in NEPA is really not conducive to it....

30 degrees one day, 60 degrees the next. We are supposed to get upwards of an inch of snow tonight but by Saturday, it's supposed to be in the 70's...

How do you plan around that?

Same here Paul. We made these reservations a few months ago thinking we would have a normal Spring. The average high this time of year is 65. We had snow here last night. Not much and it was gone by mid morning, but still.

It is going to finally warm up above average (it hasn't been above average in over a month) on Thursday. Predicting highs in the 70s Thursday and Friday, but a front comes through Friday night with storms and a high Saturday in the 50s. (Updated to almost normal. :yay:) Here's the 10-day. Three days at or above the norm and then back to 10+ below average.

WeatherCapture.JPG

Doesn't matter. I've camped in every month. The camper has a good furnace and electric fire place that does great to about 45.

I have another trip book 2 weeks after this one. Going to a nice state park (Johnson Shutins) in SE MO. It is much more my type of place.

j

What are everyone's thoughts on Thomson Causeway?
I looked at Thomson Causeway and it looks really nice. How far of a drive is that for you? Do you know of other places more midstate? We're game for pretty much anywhere we can fit.
Are we still looking at the last week in June?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts