Mildly surprised by Ancestry DNA results...

Don't they use the autosomal chromosomes too?
Not sure what all was used on theirs. I do know they used different companies. But, my mom also had hers done and you could tell a big difference. Apparently we got a lot of our 'stuff' from our Dad. lol My siblings' results showed a lot of Western European, where Our Mom's pretty much showed British Isles. We do know that on our Dad's side, due to a history being done about the turn of last century and the blood line found through the DNA profile linking with it, that he had an ancestor who came over with William the Conqueror in 1066. Both that fellow and his wife had Western European roots. The things you find if you keep digging...lol

Ancestry.com sent me an update. Almost at 50% Dutch now, it's getting there ;-) Sweden & Norway together are still the same percentage (more or less) as before, only now a bit more Swedish than Norwegian. Little less UK, but it's interesting that the range of accuracy has changed from 0-39% into 26-34%.

First result
45% Germanic Europe - Germany/Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg -> The Netherlands
39% England, Wales, Northwestern Europe (could be between 0-39%)
11% Norway (could be between 0 - 24%)
5% Sweden (could be between 0 - 7%)

Update result
49% Germanic Europe - Germany/Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg -> The Netherlands
34% England, Wales, Northwestern Europe (could be between 26-34%)
9% Sweden (could be between 0 - 13%)
8% Norway (could be between 0 - 13%)

So, I have to ask, none of you were concerned that submitting your DNA could expose a family member as a criminal? We have several major cases here where police linked DNA information from the testing sites to relatives of those who submitted the DNA who committed crimes and left DNA behind.
I believe in incriminating criminals.

Funny that I just received my results today!
53% England & Northwestern Europe
13% Ireland
13% Wales
12% Scotland
6% Sweden
3% Norway

My sister did this two years ago and she had the samething....but no Norway instead Germany! She is the bossy one :-)

I am 77.5% English 19.4% Scottish 2.2 Greek,italian and 0.9% Ashkenazi Jewish. What is really interesting is who doesn't come up as a dna match the grandson of my fathers mother doesn't match up to me at all.

Help me understand this...

I got a DNA match with a 3rd or 4th cousin. The ancestor we have in common is my aunt. However, her son is not listed as a someone we have in common?

I got a DNA match with a 3rd or 4th cousin. The ancestor we have in common is my aunt. However, her son is not listed as a someone we have in common?
Does the son have an account and got his DNA tested?

[/QUOTE

DNA is random. Your cousin inherited half from his mother, you inherited some from that same family line. Your 3rd and 4th cousins randomly didn’t inherit The same chunk as your cousin. Happens all the time in more distant relationships. 2nd cousin and closer without shared DNA means there’s a secret somewhere, anything beyond that can just be the randomness of DNA

Last edited:
Thank you! That makes sense. I knew there'd be a logical explanation. We have enough skeletons. Don't need any more. lol

These new Ancestry updates are interesting. I am 61% Scottish - the rest being English & Northwestern Europe, Irish, and Swedish -with no known Scottish relatives. I mean none ever in my life or talked about by either parent or grandparents.

My Mom's entire side was thought to be Irish, Irish and Irish. My mother is a first generation Canadian. Both her parents came from Ireland as adults.

But through connections on GEDmatch I know it is heading in a less erroneous direction. A relative told me that he has followed that paternal line, through testing, and it is most definitely Scottish.

But it kills me the lack of stories coming through such very recent generations. I can only guess that it is due to hardship and making a new start in life. Closing some doors. I have no other explanation for denying - or simply not sharing - the heritage and stories from recent history.

And apparently when you have ancestors from Northern Ireland/Southwestern Scotland it is very difficult to determine English, Irish, Welsh or Scottish heritage.

Last edited:
Yeah, they just added Irish 3% to mine, which I'd always heard one of my Great Grandmothers had some Irish blood. Still, all in all, pretty darned accurate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!