Military Retirement Questions

I read that as long as you entered the AF after 1981 the AF would pay for 1 conus move anywhere in the US including Alaska and Hawaii. Did he enter before that time?

I entered the AF in 1975 and retired in 1986 and they still offered me 1 conus move to anywhere including Alaska and Hawaii.

Happy Retirement!

I'm jumping in here as an activie duty military member looking to retire within the next 4 years (hit 30). I STRONGLY recommend your husband attend a retirement seminar (TAPS). There are many things you don't realize are available to retirees, including VA (Veterens Administration) disability benefits. Injuries that occured during his career, i.e. hearling loss, knee surgery, briken bones, etc are rateable under the VA and can impact portions of his pension.

For example, say he injured his knee playing baseball and had surgery, he could be rated by the VA as 20% disabled. His pension from the military would be reduced by 20%, the VA would pay a 20% disability pension in it's place and that part is TAX FREE. :goodvibes

Just one example of info at a retirment seminar. Make SURE (MAKE SURE) he gets a copy of his medical record and any ailment or injury, no matter how minor should be documented. The VA will add up all the disabilitiy injuries and adjust his pension accordingly.

Good luck!

My husband retired from the Navy last year after 20 years. His retired income is taxable. We live in Texas so there is no state income tax. His VA payments are not taxed.

I completely agree with the above poster about VA benefits. My husband was declared 80% disabled and receives around $1600 a month on top of retirement pay. He only had a few minor ailments that added up in the end. He had high blood pressure, a bad shoulder, a bone spur in his heel, and a few other small things. The VA has a really weird way of adding things up!

My husband was required to do a TAPS class before he retired. It is full of good information. You will be allowed to attend with him on the the days they cover Tricare and other family benefits. Tricare is great! The dental program is not so hot. Just look at it very carefully! Also check out VGLI, when you start comparing policies, it is actually really affordable.

You will get a move to anywhere in the US and also mileage for at least 2 cars and per diem for all members of your family.

Good luck! Adjusting to civilian life takes awhile. My husband was 19 when he enlisted and we were married 6 months after he left for boot camp. I was 18 so the Navy was all we ever knew! He is now working on a second career. We are enjoying it but I think he would go back in a heartbeat! Even if it meant another deployment to Iraq. I hope your transistion is smooth!!!

Great info! DH just got his final set of orders (gulp!) and starts at his last command in Feb.

What a shock it will be when he retires! Like many of you, it's all we've known. He went in at age 19, I met him shortly after that, we got married at 20 and it's been our life.

We are facing retirement in 6 months and I'm curious about the disability that some of you are receiving. My husband was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea about 6 months ago but then the military repeated the testing along with other seemingly useless tests but declared him unfit to fly and therefore we took a HUGE pay cut. My DH says he qualifies for disability though. But someone says if you are 20% disabled that is deducted from your military pay?? I thought it was something you got ON TOP of your military retirement pay. Please, those of you that are getting it, help me understand it better. Right now I think they have declared him 40% disabled. Thanks!!

My Husband is on terminal leave now and we are looking to move from GA to Melbourne FL area... we have NEVER lived in FL and we were just visiting that area and thought it seemed very nice... I feel like I have done some research for schools and such ( Brevard county) but does anyone have any information on that area...sights...schools..attractions...good/bad areas??... Patrick Air force base?..pretty muich any info on anythng will be greatly appreciated :)

Also has anyone sold a house in one state and moved to another using USAA and the moves advantage program? how did it work for you? I assume we will have to take a trip or two back to FL to go through houses and such but it all seems too overwhelming at the moment!
Thanks, Dee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter