Million Dollar Question

Leeroy2020

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

New to this site...and my first post is probably a silly one but more looking for some reassurance :) if any!

We have a trip planned booked as a package from end of July for 2 adults and 2 children which includes stays in both Disney and NYC. Having paid £12.5k in full already for the trip, insurance company not interested in covering any cancellations due to the ongoing crisis and an adamant wife who doesn't want to travel (cant really blame her)……..were do we stand??!!

So getting to the point does anyone know firstly when booking a package holiday what amounts to you being able to get a refund, such as the cancelation of the dining plan (this was one of the reasons we booked the particular package), covid restrictions in parks, hotels, quarantine restrictions etc etc etc.

To the million dollar question...….what are peoples thoughts on being able to travel to the USA by the end of July??

Cheers in advance.

Hi
Not from the UK but from Israel - my guesstimate is not optimistic. While I'm assuming you will be able to travel, you will need to take at least two factors into consideration-

First, your trip may be canceled or extended with little warning. For example, you may need to prepare for 2 weeks' self quarantine both in the US or upon returning.

Second, your health insurance costs will skyrocket. I've heard estimates of 50-100$ per person per day, possibly more for people with preexisting conditions. You do the math...

I'm not sure about refunds etc.
Restrictions in the parks - I understand they will run at 20-30% capacity with guests pre-registering, no FP but also less crowds so who knows. DP cancellation entitles you to 35% discount on room, IIRC, but check with Disney re your specific plan.

Personally, I would not travel in these conditions and risks - not unless matters of life and death. My sister will have to travel to the US for health reasons late August and is trying to minimize risks and costs by leaving her husband and kids behind...

Sorry for being a downer...

My gut is travel to states will still be banned. Hopefully for you still via FCO no travel ban. Then many ABTA booked providers will try to give you a voucher but you should be entitled to cash refund eventually. If FCO then your travel insurance should also kick in for things that do not pay back themselves. If travel not practical due to 14 day quarantine either on arrival in US and/or on return then far sticker position as all can say you chose not to go.

i’m in similar position for 13th Aug, but will not be paying my final balance, it’s more whether I get my flight money and a few other bit back. I’m resigned to maybe losing about £4.5k. It’s a lot of money to me but better than risking losing £11k if I paid the final balance,

Even if you can travel in July do you want to spend all that money on a trip where you will not get the full experience. No fireworks, no parades no characters having to wear a mask in all public spaces. I'd look at moving to next year.

I'm not hopeful that the restrictions on travel will be gone in September although I'm hoping to be wrong. I just cancelled my flight with VA because they no longer fly direct and I wasn't keen on an indirect flight, as they cancelled the route I'm entitled to a full refund, so worth checking again with your trip provider, don't just rely on the travel insurance stumping up. If you can't travel due to flight restrictions the holiday provider cannot just keep your money. Ask your travel company for a refund if that turns out to be the situation or if you can reschedule the dates for next year without any charges. When did you book. I booked my trip before March 13th and because I bought the travel insurance when I actually booked in August I'm covered for cancellation due to Covid-19. Worth double checking your paperwork (I'm with Insure and Go)

By the way, I just read in interesting article in the FT, I'm not sure if I can post links. The Sec. of the Treasury, Steve Mnuchin says h is unsure if international flight bans will be lifted this year. Trump is relying on Americans travelling within the country to stimulate the travel industry. However, many Americans are cancelling travel plans because of the economic effects of this crisis and the Governors of states like Florida, which rely a lot on international tourists, may lobby for the restrictions to be lifted sooner rather than later if domestic tourism falls.
It's just a wait and see at the moment. But look for other options rather than just the travel insurance. You still have rights.

There are a few variables here. If the US travel ban is still in place it will be impossible for you to travel so you should be able to get a refund. If it's lifted and the FCO advice (no ban) remains in place it's trickier because you are able to travel but choose not to. Some insurers would cover cancellation in such cases, others wouldn't, but if you travel against FCO advice it is very unlikely that you will be covered on the trip. All depends who you booked through. If it was a single package and the travel ban is still in place you are entitled to a full refund. If it was in parts, you will need to speak to the individual organisations you booked through. Another option may be to claim s75 protection from your credit card provider. Absolute worst case scenario you will definitely be entitled to the taxes back on unused air tickets.

Nick just 1 thing, it is insurer by insurer If the FCO no travel is lifted but the US either bans entry or imposes a 14 day quarantine. In such cases it would be unlikely the flight would operate which puts the money back much more in the customers favour. If flight does go then it can be considered a choice not to go.

Thanks for the responses.

Does anybody know if the recent announcement from Disney to cancel all dining plans is a good enough reason to seek a full refund from the travel agent for out package holiday(this is going to add additional costs to an already expensive holiday), if not is it only the flight not going that would warrant a refund?.....up to now I read that water parks will unlikely to be open by out travel date even if some of the parks are and also not getting the full experience is also a bug bearer.

Up to now the insurance I have will not cover for Covid related cancellation....so I am pretty much hoping for a "get out of jail card" !!

I’m not sure as the dining was free (I guess) so does that count as a material change. Horrid situation either way.

I think Disney will facilitate cancellations based on recent changes but there has been no formal communication to UK holiday makers yet and when you call them, they won’t cancel without charge and refuse to make amendments. Their current advice is to wait for communication from Disney, so it’s a waiting game at the moment.

I think their changes plus borders still being closed means there is an above average chance that change and cancellation without cost will be enabled.

...their was a rumour there would be guidance released for UK travellers yesterday but it never came. However, this may have been down to the protests in the US being the focus yesterday for most organisations. There was a message on Facebook on Friday from Disney saying there is some guidance coming so hopefully it will be soon

Nick just 1 thing, it is insurer by insurer If the FCO no travel is lifted but the US either bans entry or imposes a 14 day quarantine. In such cases it would be unlikely the flight would operate which puts the money back much more in the customers favour. If flight does go then it can be considered a choice not to go.
Yes it is insurer by insurer if FCO advice allows you to cancel but the OP said his insurer won't cover him.

So much could change by the end of July, so just be patient. See what is cancelled in the coming weeks and then research what costs are recoverable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!