Mini foodie, theme park junkie in the making! Updated: 8/11 Skippers Canteen

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
Hello there all! Me, DH and DS5 just came home after a 8 day trip filled with yummy food and lots of new experiences! So a little background, I am the planner of course and have been stalking these boards since my son was born, planning his very first trip to Disney! :rotfl: Now 5 years after, will be his 2nd trip to WDW and a mini foodie in the making!

I like split stays so this trip, we stayed at Yacht Club with the deluxe dining plan for our first 4 nights and Polynesian w/o dining plan for the last 4 nights.

List of meals:
Day 1- Arrival night
Dinner: Wine Bar George

Day 2- MK
Brunch: California Grill
Dinner: Cinderella’s Royal Table

Day 3- DHS/ Epcot
Breakfast- EMM*
Lunch- Garden Grill
Dinner- Flying Fish

Day 4- DS / AK
Breakfast- Cape May Cafe
Lunch- Morimoto
Dinner- Tiffins

Day 5- DHS
Lunch- Hollywood and Vine
Dinner- Jaleo

Day 6- AK/ MK
Lunch: Yak and Yeti
Dinner: Skippers

Day 7- DS/ Epcot/ DHS
Lunch- T-Rex
Dinner- Takumi Tei

Day 8- Epcot/ MK
Breakfast- Ohana
Dinner- Storybook Dining at Artist Point

Day 9- MK
Lunch- BOG

Obviously a lot of food! Lol! First review will be on the next post!

Edit to add: Totally forgot my son and I did Cape May Cafe breakfast but no pictures! Such a bad foodie!

Last edited:
Day 1

We arrived at MCO at 5pm and was excited to start! We had car service pick us up and we got to the resort around 6pm. We checked in at the Yacht club and took our luggage to our room. I just say I loved this resort and the room but our room seemed so far from the lobby! Our first trip looking for our room we were shocked at how many turns we made :rotfl2:We then took a bus to Disney Springs and headed to Wine Bar George. (Note: Our reservation was on OpenTable so I was not too worried about being able to move it if our flight was delayed).

We were seated right away and our server came to explain the dining plan to us. He explained each person on the deluxe plan gets 3 entitlements. I told him that only myself and my husband would use the plan and my son’s meal would be paid separately. He told us we have 6 entitlements combined. The small plates are 1 entitlement, the boards were 2 entitlements, and the large plates were 4 entitlements. We ordered Burrata, Grilled Octopus Salad and the Grilled Whole Sea Bass. My son had the Mac and Cheese Kids meal. I also ordered the Queen’s Margarita.

Burrata - so yummy and creamy! I really liked it a lot. DH and DS didn’t quite like it so I ate almost the whole plate! :cloud9:B7CEDFDF-134D-4BBC-A635-ABC5596464F9.jpeg

Grilled Octopus Salad- this was also so good! DH and I ate the whole plate so quickly! The combination of flavours was nice and fresh.

59C16AB0-50A1-45C3-A190-87CB61A08826.jpeg

Whole Sea Bass- great and so fresh! We all shared this including DS5! He ate a good portion of this (more than his Mac and Cheese!)
5271E316-9645-4FFE-8BBC-485325B2798A.jpeg7C08A423-8CD7-4831-981F-31835A721A17.jpegF010ABD0-D632-43A0-BD44-B5DB52966BFA.jpeg

Queen’s Margarita- wow, this was strong! Yummy! This was the only place the asked for my I’d! Haha! 9A5343F0-247F-4E70-A875-CAB97D5CF6ED.jpeg

All in all, it was a great meal, food and service was awesome! I would definitely come back! (Disclaimer: I was supposed to be back for brunch but never made it :()

Day 1- little snack after at Vivoli Gelato

We had 2 small cups of ice cream! One scoop of what was supposed to be Hazelnut. I think we were given Salted Caramel instead. It was yummy. The other scoop was Passionfruit sorbet. This was the winner! We all loved this! DH was forced to finish the Salted Caramel! Haha! 0035FFD6-963E-4C13-99F9-1B859B77B2D5.jpeg
We used our snack credits for this. :D

Day 2 - California Grill Brunch

I had to change our plans a couple of times on this and found a reservation just a week before! I was so happy to find it and it was definitely worth it!!

Our server was amazing. I asked about half portions and he gave us a few options we can order half portions of. Between the 3 of us we ordered - the Steak, the Chicken and Toast, the Shrimp and Grits and the Blueberry Pancakes! We also had sushi rolls, parfait, charcuterie and devilled eggs from the buffet. Everything was amazing! DH loved his steak! I had a piece and agreed it was really good! DS loved the rolls! He ate quite a few shrimp nigiris and tuna rolls as well as devilled eggs. As a result, he didn’t eat much of his blueberry pancake! I ordered half a portion of shrimp and grits as well as the chicken and toast. I liked the shrimp and grits more, had a nice mix of flavours and textures. Chicken and toast was good too but chicken was not as crisp on the outside. Our server encouraged us to order as much as we like and kept asking us if we wanted to order more! Here are some pictures of what we had. (Sorry I’m not sure how to flip the images)

8AE17EC4-0A1E-4F75-81FB-09D30E89E922.jpeg1DE7513E-3FB1-489B-AA26-2E953D1A0098.jpeg260E0CF0-0A7F-459E-847F-F9961BEBE305.jpegF2BFB534-0E58-493F-9113-2122EC54BCD1.jpeg1C25B00D-B9DA-4A67-BB0D-8C9DEF1E1E34.jpeg12F62502-D76C-4CF6-ABA2-E4A2886BD371.jpeg12730BB7-0D14-4958-AB14-A8397CCD1806.jpegA81E8D4A-827E-43CB-BC7C-BB2579F2DB27.jpeg

Following along! Awesome reviews so far. We have Wine Bar George on our trip in October and are really excited to try it. As for your pictures try making them smaller and they should post upright. 👍

Following along! Love the places you went! Hoping to hit Wine Bar George this August when we visit our son and wife :)

Following! We did Cali Grill brunch in May and your pictures are making me want to do it again- it's fabulous! I had the steak and eggs and DH the shrimp and grits.
We frequent many of the bars/lounges but haven't hit Wine Bar George yet.

Following along! :wave2:

I just say I loved this resort and the room but our room seemed so far from the lobby!

I loved the YC too! Our room was far from the lobby too, but we were near a shortcut to get outside.

Burrata - so yummy and creamy! I

That looks good! We had the brunch version of this on our last trip and we liked it except for the candied bacon in it. (Although that one doesn't look like it has candied bacon in from the picture so that might've just been the brunch one).

Following along! Awesome reviews so far. We have Wine Bar George on our trip in October and are really excited to try it. As for your pictures try making them smaller and they should post upright. 👍

Thanks for the tip! And welcome! :)

Following along! Love the places you went! Hoping to hit Wine Bar George this August when we visit our son and wife :)
Welcome! Hope you do make it there, it’s awesome!

Following! We did Cali Grill brunch in May and your pictures are making me want to do it again- it's fabulous! I had the steak and eggs and DH the shrimp and grits.
We frequent many of the bars/lounges but haven't hit Wine Bar George yet.
Yes, it absolutely amazing! It’s pricey but such a great experience overall!
If you have time next trip, it’s a nice arrival day or departure day kind of meal if you don’t go to DS often. This was my one thing about DS, it takes so long to get there and get out of there! If not, I love the food choices there.
ETA: oops, I meant WBG on the last part! :blush:
Following along! :wave2:

I loved the YC too! Our room was far from the lobby too, but we were near a shortcut to get outside.

That looks good! We had the brunch version of this on our last trip and we liked it except for the candied bacon in it. (Although that one doesn't look like it has candied bacon in from the picture so that might've just been the brunch one).
Welcome!!

I found an exit to the docks and it works out nicely if we were going to Epcot or DHS. But waking outside this summer was worse than the long walk to the lobby so we walked inside most of the time, lol!

Yes, the small plate during lunch and dinner does not have the bacon!! I really wanted lot try brunch but it’s a hassle to get to DS that we ended up cancelling our reservation. Next time for sure!

Last edited:
If you have time next trip, it’s a nice arrival day or departure day kind of meal if you don’t go to DS often. This was my one thing about DS, it takes so long to get there and get out of there! If not, I love the food choices there.
We've actually been spending quite a bit more time in DS the last couple years as they've opened more eateries! Our favorite go-to is Jock Lindsay's and it's hard to go elsewhere lol but you aren't the first who has recommended WBG. I agree it's a pain sometimes to go down there but we're always glad we did when we get there! Trying to fit in more than one visit for our Sept. trip because we didn't get there at all this month :-)

Day 2- CRT dinner

Ok, I’ll start by saying my son wanted to eat inside the castle. I thought it would be a great experience for him too so I went ahead and booked it.

We got there a little early (15minutes maybe) and we were told they would not check us in until the exact time of reservation. Tried again at 5 mins before and was told the same thing so we waited until right that minute to check in. We then were sent to take a picture with Cinderella and waited again. We were seated half an hour past reservation time and was told that we need to be out of there by 8:30 so we would not get stuck until after fireworks! Seriously, if you are going to tell people to hurry up, you should seat on time then!!

Anyway, we got to our seats, ordered our drinks and ordered. Server was nice and everything came out pretty quickly, they seemed to be rushing people too and tried clearing plates before you were even done.

DH and I ordered scallops for apps. It was severely over cooked. The mushrooms were good though. Peas were mushy. EE349186-462B-4F05-8D2E-1D76BE0AD447.jpeg

DH had the pork dish. He thought it was too salty but tender so he ate most of it and downed to cups of Sprite with it :rotfl:

5B0CFFC3-988B-49AE-BC00-44F67B5807B6.jpeg

I ordered the steak. It was nice and cooked right (I ordered medium). It again was a little too salty for my tastes as well.

BE13EC4E-4992-44AB-976B-3E44321A5A3C.jpeg

DS had the grilled salmon with rice and corn. I didn’t try this but he ate about half of it which is not bad for him. When I look at it though, it looks a little over cooked too.

E25BAE47-E7E3-4D12-9438-DD85A1D02B80.jpeg

His dessert was the decorate your own cupcake! He had so much fun with this and talked about it again later in the trip!

3C75E698-0634-410F-849D-C3CEB13FDB97.jpeg

DH had the clock strikes 12 for his dessert, it was a heavy chocolate dessert and he ate about a quarter of it. I took a couple of bites and liked it but was too full to finish 2 desserts!
OA2A99D14-9EE9-4095-A2E9-2F8C18B1CB61.jpeg

I had the peanut butter cake! This was not really a cake but more of a mousse with a little layer of cake on the bottom. I liked this! It was scrumptious! Heavy on the peanut butter taste of course but it wasn’t too sweet.

4EA25E59-6DF5-4E31-98AB-68795610BEB1.jpeg

Overall, this is probably a one time thing. Since we are on the dining plan, I guess it doesn’t hurt as much to get the experience even with mediocre food. :confused3

We've actually been spending quite a bit more time in DS the last couple years as they've opened more eateries! Our favorite go-to is Jock Lindsay's and it's hard to go elsewhere lol but you aren't the first who has recommended WBG. I agree it's a pain sometimes to go down there but we're always glad we did when we get there! Trying to fit in more than one visit for our Sept. trip because we didn't get there at all this month :-)
I want to try Jock Lindsay’s too! I just didn’t get a chance this trip! Next trip is Universal with just one day at Disney for the Christmas party. Maybe we could go earlier to try it! Lol!

Sideways, upside down or **** eyed, the pictures are making me "hongry" and I just finished eating breakfast :D.
The burrata looks so appetizing; got to try it next time out! Glad you three enjoyed the fish entree. That's the dish that made me know they truly knew what they were doing in the kitchen.

That's funny about the gelato. Normally I always opt for some sort of citrus but last time I decided to get out of my rut and ordered the salted caramel- on purpose, LOL.

Can't wait to read more:cool:.

Day 3- EMM, Garden Grill

EMM- quick review

Loved this event! DS5 and I went alone while DH rested. We took the boat from YC at around 6:50 and got there by 7:09. (CM told me they will run buses at 7 so I was thinking of taking a cab or ride share there. However, I took a peek outside at 6:34 and saw a boat there already so that’s where we headed to!)

We headed for breakfast location since CMs directed us there. I got tea and my son got some milk, we then proceeded to wait to be let in. We were allowed to go by 7:25 and we took our time going in. We lined up for Slinky which was around 20mins had our first ride, did AS2 2x, bathroom break, TSMM 1x, Slinky 2x and last TSMM. Not bad for moving slowly with a 5 year old!

We got to breakfast around 9:30. It was nice, I got the shrimp and grits while DS5 got chicken tenders with donut. No pictures but the kids meal did not look very good. The donut was super hard and DS settled for cereal instead and took some of my shrimp!

Garden Grill

I knew we were having GG for lunch so we didn’t stuff ourselves silly for breakfast! lol! We were late for our reservation but they took us in within 5 mins of checking in. We had food come out pretty quickly too! D8CF9E20-61DE-4D1C-988D-2D2A257463E0.jpegAF94F5A2-EC94-44EA-A75E-7613FB4402E4.jpeg

We liked the steak- it was really the highlight of the meal. The turkey and stuffing were nice too, everything else was ok. I didn’t get a picture of dessert. It was strawberry short cake which was again, ok. All in all, I kind of wish I got to do breakfast instead. Food was alright only. Surprisingly, characters were quick and came around a couple of times. We were there for less than an hour! My son loves looking at the glass towards the living with the land ride. He pointed at the restaurant when we rode the ride after lunch!

Day 3- Flying Fish

So it was raining hard by the time we got back to the hotel from Epcot. We tried to wait it out so we can take the boat to the boardwalk but it continued on and on and on until it was 15mins before our reservation. So... We took a cab! Lol! Tip: Uber was much more expensive than the cab at this time!

Arrived at Flying Fish and I was shivering inside! The AC was cranked up! Our server came to the table and I explained we were on the dining plan but wanted to pay out of pocket for DS5. He said that was the best way to use it! First server to tell us that!! I will say all of the servers we had this trip ranged from good to great! Our server this time was really awesome! Flying Fish is one of the few repeats we have from last trip (this and CG brunch were must do for us!)

Onto food!!

Seasonal Fruit for DS5- he wipes this out in 5 minutes! Loved the presentation! So cute! I’ve never seen a restaurant put such effort for fruit!

58326CE5-D88B-475D-B26A-734FFD1FB888.jpeg

For my appetizers, I had the Kurobuta Pork Belly! I was debating between this and crispy oysters. I’m so glad I got this! Everything on the plate was great! The pork was melt in your mouth, yummy yummy yummy!!

57B41AD4-6212-4D5D-8D75-5C99DF2E05ED.jpeg

DH got the Lobster Bisque- he really liked this too! He shared some with DS5 who liked it as well!

7C41A5B1-C037-4475-A4EC-286A5110543C.jpeg

DS got the shrimp scampi for his main. It looked nicely cooked but very plain. He liked it and ate most of it.

651D5A4B-325A-44AB-B473-8C86A54EF3A9.jpeg

I got the Sardinian Seafood Pasta. I loved the sauce in this! I would have licked the plate clean! Lol! (It did look like the plate was licked clean because the server who picked it up made a remark about how I didn’t like the dish! Lol!) Again, DS5 took some of my food- the lobster and a scallop!

A5DC03B8-A3B8-472B-9DD9-B3AD880D4960.jpeg

DH got the Wagyu Filet Mignon. He had it cooked medium. (He usually likes it well done, lol!) he absolutely loved it! Love all of it! The risotto, the steak, the veggie, the sauce were all great! I took a piece of steak and it was very tender and flavourful!

E6986D69-28A6-47AB-B73B-450DBBA086C6.jpeg

By this point we were full but could not resist dessert! Our server said Cocoa Breach was his absolute most favorite chocolate dessert so we went with that! It was amazing! They poured the sauce to make that indentation on the cake. I think it’s similar to a lava cake. It was very dense and rich. I loved it! DH and DS5 ate all the ice cream but I ate most of the cake. :cloud9:

BFC1BC9E-F96F-4D32-BA59-0EED3CFC9E2C.jpeg

Overall, I really like this restaurant and will probably be one of the ones we will always come back to. Food and service were both top notch. I love the ambiance too!

Attachments

• 83FE53D0-A5FC-45AD-9788-5A3717AD7667.jpeg
    83FE53D0-A5FC-45AD-9788-5A3717AD7667.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 28
Really enjoying this report! I'll also be staying at the YC this winter, and will be eating at many of the same places, so definitely looking forward to more reviews :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!