Minnesotans Crusin' CA - Day 2

Minnesota

<font color=navy>Disney Commando<br><font color=re
Hi all! Here we go with day 2. Day one should be close enough to this post for you to get all the background info.

Day 2 June 17, 2003

Today was our first full day at Disneyland and we started it early. We got up after a pretty restless night for me, (The kleenex did last the night by the way :) ) being sick wasn't helping and neither was the plastic sheets they put on the bed. It squeeked loud if you even thought about rolling over! Once we got outside our room we spotted a real parking place and decided to be a little greedy and move our car even though we wouldn't be moving the car again for 24 hours. It did survive the night parked on the curb with no further damage than what it already had (a cracked bumper that was there when we picked it up)

We got up and started our day with a Character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel. It was my treat to Mom and Dad for Mom's Birthday and Fathers Day. Our reservation was at 7:30am so we wouldn't miss too much of the opening of the parks. The first Character that came up to us was Goofy himself followed by Pochaontas, and Cinderella. Gepetto and Genie were also around and we met them when getting our food but they never got to our table. Mom loved Cinderella's Dress, (It was a hoop style dress similar to the 1860's style only more modern) and wanted to know how many bones she had in her hoop. Mine and Mom's have 6 but Cinderella stayed in character very well and wouldn't say, she would have to ask her fairy godmother.

Following breakfast we headed back to Disneyland and was able to finish all the lands except for Critter Country, Frontierland and Indiana Jones. Around 11:00 or so when the sun burned through the haze I realised my hands were really burning, not sunburn burning but some sort of hives burning. This has happened to me before and while I don't know what I am reacting to I do know it gets worse in the sun. Good thing I brought the Hydrocortisone alone, I never leave home without it.

After a full day in Disneyland we walked over to the PCH Grill in Paridise pier hotel I believe but we were a little lost so it might have been one of the other hotels. We went pin shopping/trading in DTD on the way. Boy did Disney have an ingenious plan in giving all Disney Travel Company Guests a lanyard and two identical pins as a part of our package. We were hooked in minutes of our first trade. At Dinner Mom and I each ordered a sandwich that resembled in description to a BLT. It tasted WONDERFUL but the plate was more than the two of us could have eaten if we shared. They were nice enough to give us a to go box and we saved it in our hotel fridge for the next day.

We then headed back across the resort to our hotel and dropped off our leftovers and decided to go back to Disneyland for the parade, Fireworks and Fantasmic figuring we could flow from one to the next. It worked great in theory but in practice it had a flaw.

The parade of Stars was at 8:45pm and was really cool. It reminded me of the Snowglobe parade at Disney World (I forgot the name from last summer) Between Dad and I we got all the floats and some of the walkers. We got really good seats right on the curb of Main Street close to the hub. Following the parade we spotted an empty bench on the hub and claimed that for the fireworks at 9:30. It was kind of cold, colder than we expected but we're hardy Minnesotans and decided we could survive in our shorts and tee shirts while most others had gone to at least long pants. We foolishly had expected Southern California to be warmer than Minnesota. (It wasn't. In CA the highs were in the 70's while in MN it was at LEAST 80's while we were gone) Dad and I go really goo pictures of the fireworks over Sleeping Beauty's Castle. ( Which I have to not, I was really suprised at how small it was)

Following the fireworks we figured we could head back to Rivers of America for Fantasmic an hour before the next show and get good seats. Here is the flaw. There was such a crush or people I think I only took 3 steps the entire way from the hub to Rivers of America! I was just sort of carried along and I am 21! once the mob oozed to the rivers edge we found that nearly everyone from the 9:00 showing of Fantasmic was still sitting there for the second show too! Needless to say we got stuck in the back of the crowd and behind a tree. We could only see about half the hight of the water fans and that was only if we scrunched down and looked under the tree and around the lightpole, not exactly comfortable. Mom thought it was cool but wanted to see the whole thing, while Dad and I (Both of us saw it in WDW) decided that it was awesome enought to try a second time to see it.

Through out the day I refused to not do anything because of my allergies. We have some lovly pictures of me looking slightly better than death charging from ride to ride and character to character. This was my first time in CA and DL. The good thing though was the kleenex was holding out and being an allergy veteran of 21 years I was well prepared with antihistamines, kleenex, nasal saline, and a product made by chapstick to keep your nose from getting all dry and red during a cold. By the end of the day my hand were so hot and covered in hives that I could melt and entire icecube in about 45 seconds flat.

After fantasmic we participated in our first round of the nightly Anaheim Harbor Herd. For those who had not heard this term before it is when the billion people in Disneyland spill out and cross Harbor Blvd. to the Good neighbor hotels after park closing. It was a cast member who told me this was dubbed as the nightly anaheim Harbor Herd and 99% of the people crossing the blvd. Herd across against the lights figuring no one can hit them all. We got back to our room and watched the parking disaster unfold again that night happy we had a real spot of our own... Until the next day.

Coming soon: Day 3 - the long anticipated tour of the LA Area Cemeteries and other attractions (for slightly strange Minnesotans) in the LA Vicinity. Tune in again to find out what and why!

Minnesota

Pre Trip Report
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter