Missing 2 classes for Disney?

d0naldduck123

Mouseketeer
I'm currently in graduate school and next semester will be my last semester before graduating. I originally had a trip planned for the week before Thanksgiving because the course schedules for my department were released and I noticed that I would be able to take a trip and only miss a one-hour lecture during the duration of my trip, so I went ahead and booked the trip and even got FD. But now for some reason, my department made some huge changes and now the one-hour lecture class is gone and it looks like during the time I'm on my trip I'll have to miss a 2.5 hour class and a 1hour-40minutes class. I already have all my ADRs reserved too, so it really bummed me out to find out about these changes. Should I reschedule or just keep my original plan and miss the 2 classes? If I reschedule, it would have to be during Thanksgiving or the days leading up to Christmas (19th or 20th until Christmas) and will have to give up FD. I don't think my department has any specific policies regarding absences from class, so I'm torn between missing or rescheduling my trip...

I'm currently in graduate school and next semester will be my last semester before graduating. I originally had a trip planned for the week before Thanksgiving because the course schedules for my department were released and I noticed that I would be able to take a trip and only miss a one-hour lecture during the duration of my trip, so I went ahead and booked the trip and even got FD. But now for some reason, my department made some huge changes and now the one-hour lecture class is gone and it looks like during the time I'm on my trip I'll have to miss a 2.5 hour class and a 1hour-40minutes class. I already have all my ADRs reserved too, so it really bummed me out to find out about these changes. Should I reschedule or just keep my original plan and miss the 2 classes? If I reschedule, it would have to be during Thanksgiving or the days leading up to Christmas (19th or 20th until Christmas) and will have to give up FD. I don't think my department has any specific policies regarding absences from class, so I'm torn between missing or rescheduling my trip...
Is there an assignment related to the lectures? If so, how much are the assignments worth? In case of an emergency (and as a cushion), I always worked hard to have a 98-100% in the course, which essentially means I could miss the last assignment and still get an A in the course. I am sure some instructors do not like this, but they cannot deduct more points than the assignment is worth. I have only done this once and because I am a Type-A personality, it makes me feel like I left something undone. I am 15 months away from completing my PhD and I have missed a couple of classes without it affecting my grades. It really depends on your performance up until now, and if it will have a huge impact on your grade.
Will all of your coursework for the class be finished? Is there attendance policy in the syllabus?
I went to Disney every year of every degree without issues including this one.
They don't have to know where you are going, just ask about their policy for missing 2 lectures and tell them you will be out of town.
If they give you a hard time, then reschedule.

Congrats on being at the end of your degree!!

Last edited:
I am earning my PhD and missed 2 classes in the fall for a Disney trip. It was fine. If you never miss any class, it's probably not a huge deal. That being said, I don't know how strict your program is.

I am earning my PhD and missed 2 classes in the fall for a Disney trip. It was fine. If you never miss any class, it's probably not a huge deal. That being said, I don't know how strict your program is.

^THIS. DD could not have missed classes like this. She just finished her grad degree. Hard two years of restricted travel but worth it.

It depends on your program so I would consult with your advisors and teachers.

When I was in school a lot of my professors purposefully would schedule heavily weighted tests on the last day of session before a holiday. If you missed it then you were sure to fluke the semester and no make up or extra credit was given.

Also we had specific numbers of lectures we could miss before it affected our grades. Some classes were 3 and some were 2 (depended on how many days of the week it missed) and so if you missed for a vacation it was very likely if you got sick you were either going to school ill or you were going to take a hit to your grade.

As the others have already said, it really depends on the program, and your professors. I know that when I was working on my MSW, there absolutely were times of the year I could miss two classes no problem. Ask a classmate to record the lecture or loan me notes and I would have been good to go. On the other hand, there were times that there would be a test or project coming up where I just couldn't get away.

You very well may be able to do this, but check your course syllabus or ask your professor. Most graduate level instructors are much more understanding of life happening then undergrad teachers. It's your responsibility to get the work done. Unless you're not missing a one time experience like a test or guest lecture, it's pretty much on you to figure out how to get that work done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!