• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mission:SPACE Sponsorship?

larworth

DIS Veteran
Some comments on SPACE

"We did take down the countdown clock, but there isn't any delay with the construction of Mission: Space," said Bill Warren, a Disney World spokesman.
I thought the countdown clock was for April 30th, 2003 not memorial day. Whichevver, glad to hear it is on schedule. But I’m a little confused by this statement

And besides, Currid revealed last week that his company isn't a sponsor of Mission: Space in the traditional sense. "Compaq isn't funding it . . . they're buying our technology. It's a purchase deal," he said.
I thought the kicker in the deal was Disney agreeing to buy Compaq computers, but aren't they anteing up some major dinero, as well?

Maybe Compaq didn't pony up the cash as in a traditional sponsorship deal, but I bet Disney didn't pay MRSP on the technology (ie computers) they "bought" from Comaq.

From the Compaq Corp Website:

In November 2000, Walt Disney Internet Group and Compaq Computer Corp. announced a three-year agreement naming Compaq as the preferred technology provider to the Walt Disney Internet Group and partner in delivering the Disney "magic" online. The agreement represented a substantial commitment by Compaq to advertise on Walt Disney Internet Group Web sites and a significant purchase of Compaq hardware and technology services by Walt Disney Internet Group.

It would appear that Compaq did not provide cash to Disney directly instead they worked a 'deal' where Compaq would (perhaps) provide hardware to Disney at a nice discount, and commit to a certain amount of advertising revenue on "Disney Online" - you know, those nice little "Powered by Compaq" labels on all the GO.COM webpages.

One imagines it all adds up to whatever money Disney needed to underwrite Mission Space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter