MK dinner

pens4821

DIS Veteran
Where is the food best? Whispering canyon, diamond horseshoe, or crystal palace?

We will be in Disney mid January. As of now, on our first park day, we have Crystal Palace booked for dinner. We will be at HS during the day, then head to MK early afternoon. I originally booked it because my mom has wanted to eat there. However, after talking, we've decided that the food itself doesn't seem to be all that great from reviews. She said she pretty much just wanted to see the inside. My nephew will be with us, but the characters are of no interest to us.

I was thinking of changing to either Whispering Canyon or Diamond Horseshoe. Whispering canyon seems to get the better reviews, and the menu looks a little better (offer ribs and sausage which DH doesn't). But with the park closing at 8 (looking at last year thats when it closed, so not expecting that to be extended), would it just be better to stay in MK and not take the extra time to leave and come back?

I may just keep CP, but curious if anyone thinks either of the other restaurants would be worth the change.

Where is the food best? Whispering canyon, diamond horseshoe, or crystal palace?

We will be in Disney mid January. As of now, on our first park day, we have Crystal Palace booked for dinner. We will be at HS during the day, then head to MK early afternoon. I originally booked it because my mom has wanted to eat there. However, after talking, we've decided that the food itself doesn't seem to be all that great from reviews. She said she pretty much just wanted to see the inside. My nephew will be with us, but the characters are of no interest to us.

I was thinking of changing to either Whispering Canyon or Diamond Horseshoe. Whispering canyon seems to get the better reviews, and the menu looks a little better (offer ribs and sausage which DH doesn't). But with the park closing at 8 (looking at last year thats when it closed, so not expecting that to be extended), would it just be better to stay in MK and not take the extra time to leave and come back?

I may just keep CP, but curious if anyone thinks either of the other restaurants would be worth the change.
I would not leave and come back with park closing at 8.

For in park comfort food AYCTE without a care about the characters I'd do Liberty Tree over Diamond Horseshoe.

I did not care for WCC at all when I stayed at WL and I sure as heck would not make a special trip for it. The food was pretty "meh" although the AYCTE platter was better than the a la carte selections (only my son had it and we all tried a little of the bbq... it was ok but again not something I'd ever make a special trip for, especially not with limited MK hours).

I would not make a special trip back and forth to Whispering Canyon. That will eat up a lot of time.

We always enjoy Crystal Palace and the location can't be beat right in the center of the park. Added bonus of buffet style and characters.

You seem to be asking if after Park Hopping from HS to MK, does it then make sense to essentially also Park Hop for dinner at Whispering Canyon back to MK and/or just leaving MK for dinner to Whispering Canyon?

Or, Crystal Palace or Diamond Horseshoe?

Whispering Canyon is not worth the effort unless you are staying at Wilderness Lodge. Because even if the food were very good (which it's not), you'd then have to get from one resort to another - which is not easy to do without a car or taxi. So in my opinion, Whispering Canyon is the 'worst' of the options you've outlined....unless you want to be impressed with Wilderness Lodge surroundings (which are magnificent).

If the all-you-care-to-enjoy menu at Diamond Horseshoe, with similar flavor-profile to Whispering Canyon, appeals to you & your family, then it's as good a choice as any.

Crystal Palace - you're paying a cost-premium for Characters. But if mom wants to eat here, why not? Food quality is just as 'mixed' as Diamond Horseshoe and Whispering Canyon. On the plus-side, however, the buffet should offer something for every taste.

I will gladly offer my own 2-cents and suggest dining at either Be Our Guest or Skipper Canteen for sit-down meals at MK. Neither a la carte meal is likely to be as pricey as the prix fixe at Crystal Palace. Be Our Guest is also a lovely set of rooms - the food is a bit upscale, albeit, with affordable prices, and it's the only place to meet The Beast. Skipper Canteen has food from around the world that some might consider exotic, but the rooms are also lovely, particularly the room with all the butterflies. I readily admit neither match your flavor profile, so my apologies if this is more confusing than enlightening.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I figured it wouldn't be good planning to go to WC, but just wanted to see if the food would make it worth the trip. As far as the other options at MK, nothing really appeals to us. I think we will just stick with CP. While we enjoy BBQ food, I think the more options at CP as well as a better atmosphere will be more enjoyable for us (not to mention mom will get to eat somewhere she has wanted to).

I will gladly offer my own 2-cents and suggest dining at either Be Our Guest or Skipper Canteen for sit-down meals at MK. Neither a la carte meal is likely to be as pricey as the prix fixe at Crystal Palace. Be Our Guest is also a lovely set of rooms - the food is a bit upscale, albeit, with affordable prices, and it's the only place to meet The Beast. Skipper Canteen has food from around the world that some might consider exotic, but the rooms are also lovely, particularly the room with all the butterflies. I readily admit neither match your flavor profile, so my apologies if this is more confusing than enlightening.

BoG is fixed price now and it is more expensive than Crystal palace. $63.90 with tax for BoG, $55.38 with tax for CP.

As others have said traveling to Whispering Canyon may not be worth the time, but we do enjoy it. That said I'd offer Skippers Canteen or The Plaza as possible options. Those are definitely our favorite MK options.

CP, Liberty Tree, and Plaza are all great options. I've had delicious meals at all three. It all depends on what you feel like eating and what type of atmosphere you want. And the cost of course. :) All three are quite good.

I too would NOT leave the park for Whispering Canyon. No way, no how!

With you already park hopping from HS to MK. Spending more time leaving MK to eat and then try to get bak to MK doesn't make sense.
At MK, Skipper Canteen is fun, LTT is always good.
Or, if you don't mind eating late, you could get an ADR at Whispering Canyon for 7 or 8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter