MLK Weekend--is it crazy?

KARLE

Earning My Ears
Hi Disneyland experts. I'm looking to book a trip for some 10 yr old grandsons. The problem is they can only go during school breaks. I really hate going on super crowded days. So, my question is-- out of all the school break holidays, would MLK January 18-21 be our best bet? Or would their spring break be better, which is April 8-12. thank you in advance for any opinion that can help me make my decision.

They will both be busy, but I almost think that your spring break is a little on the late side, and I might target that instead and go more days. More rides will be open (Disney tends to refurb a bunch in January and February to prep for spring break.) The hours could be longer, affording you time to take afternoon breaks and escape the crowds. Plus the weather will likely be a little nicer. I hate going on holidays too... but if those were my two choices, I think I would do spring break and a longer stay.

Whatever your choice I would buy your tickets ASAP direct from Disneyland with maxpass prepurchased. The tickets will be going up around the time Of your trip.

ETA: they actually usually go up in February. So I’d buy from last minute travel if you go in January.

Last edited:

I went earlier this year on MLK weekend (Friday-Sunday). On Friday during the day it literally felt like we had the park (DL) to ourselves. Friday night was a bit crowded. Saturday during the day was a little bit more crowded, but again mellow. Saturday night was pretty crazy. Sunday we did DCA and that was laid back.

No matter how painful it is, you should be there for rope drop/Magic Morning/Early Entry. We followed the Touring Plans itinerary and were done by 11am usually. It was awesome.

Its very busy. Any three day holiday weekend that people get off work and kids get off school is usually packed. On a rare occasion it might not be, but it is usually very crowded.

We will be there that weekend, too. Our park days are Sunday the 20th, Monday the 21st and Tuesday the 22nd. I expect the 22nd to be dead, but the 21st and 22nd will probably be busy. I'm used to going to WDW during Spring or Summer break, so I figure how bad can it be? LOL. We got some great deals on flight/hotel/tickets and are surprising our kids with this trip for Christmas.

I think it will be very busy. All holidays and school breaks are. I also do not think past statistics will help since it looks like we have a trend of not being on trend.
I will be there 19-21 during MLK. Plan on having a nice dinner with DH and doing some shopping, riding some rides and just enjoying the parks at night

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter