MLK Weekend?

twodogs

DIS Veteran
We have never been on MLK weekend, but we are hoping to come this year since my kids don’t want to miss school anymore... I have no idea how the crowds are historically on this weekend? Do California schools typically have that Monday off? With the opening of ROTR that Friday before the 3 day weekend, I am a little afraid of the mayhem!! We were there during the SWGE reservation period, and although the land itself was a mess of people, as we all know (and fondly remember!), the rest of the parks were pretty wide open. I doubt this will be the same, but I can hope. I guess some ride closures are standard that time of year, and shorter hours? Any insights on this weekend would be appreciated!

My gut says with ROTR opening on the 17th and MLK Day on the 20th it's going to be a madhouse. AP Gold have no restrictions, Flex can book it, Select are the only groups blocked out. It's really hard to predict, but many seem to feel strong that people were waiting for ROTR to open and with a 3 day weekend for many I'd say it will be really busy.

I always say, "The time you're able to go is the time you should go!"

So unless you're okay with not going at all, or you (and you kids) are willing to miss another day of school after all, I would just go ahead and plan it. Then change your focus to, "What are the best strategies for a weekend that is likely to be as busy as this one?"

We are in NorCal and my kids get MLK day off.

I think it's really hard to predict! Especially with the surprisingly low crowds when GE opened, but also, they had reservations in place for the land....I think you have to decide if you went, and it was crazy, would you be bummed about it? Would you go with the flow and make the most of it or regret spending the money on it? It's a hard decision!

I went over MLK weekend a couple years ago and it was very busy. Busier than I had anticipated. Busier than most summer days I've gone. However, if you get there early, have a plan, and use MP you could still have an enjoyable time if you don't mind crowded days.

Thanks all for your feedback. I think we are going to go, and just brave the crowds. We have been there on New Years day and the days that followed it this year, and it was crowded but manageable with patience and Max Pass!! We got a great rate at the GCH (half the price of the same room that we had at GCH over Halloween season last month!) with the AP discount that just rolled out. We have just upgraded our October park tickets to the Flex Pass, so this will be the first time trying it out. Reservations are required for Sat/Sun/Monday (but surprisingly NOT Friday when ROTR opens!), so I will have to book Sat/Sun (IF I can at 30 days out when the reservations open) and then hope we can get into at least one park Monday with a reservation on that Saturday (we will be leaving Monday, so it will only be a few park hours, so I would be ok if we can only get a reservation at one park that day; I will be disappointed if we can’t get in at all...). Flights will be the issue, as I am hesitant to book flights until I know we have FP reservations, but that will only be 30 days out. UGH. I love the price of the FP but this is the “cost” of the FP: uncertainty!

Interestingly when I called to have the new AP discount ”applied” to my GCH reservation earlier this week, I was asking about ROTR and if they would do fast pass for it. She was very vague and said we have to wait and see how it goes at WDW first, you never know, check back etc. Probably just the CM being vague without any actual information, but I would be so happy if they would make both rides in SWGE available with fast pass.

I always say, "The time you're able to go is the time you should go!"

So unless you're okay with not going at all, or you (and you kids) are willing to miss another day of school after all, I would just go ahead and plan it. Then change your focus to, "What are the best strategies for a weekend that is likely to be as busy as this one?"
I was thinking exactly this, so thank you for bolstering me!! When we were there right after New Year’s this year, the line for The little mermaid was out through all of the switchbacks and then some. I have never, ever seen it like that. And yet we had a blast, did Festival of the Holidays, rode everything we wanted and didn’t bat an eye. Yes, I love low crowds but I just don’t think that ever happens anymore. It is just high crowds and higher crowds!

We are in NorCal and my kids get MLK day off.

I think it's really hard to predict! Especially with the surprisingly low crowds when GE opened, but also, they had reservations in place for the land....I think you have to decide if you went, and it was crazy, would you be bummed about it? Would you go with the flow and make the most of it or regret spending the money on it? It's a hard decision!
Crystal, thanks for the logical approach! I do not think I would regret spending the money, even if it is crazy, because otherwise we probably wouldn’t go again until summer. And I have these flex passes burning a hole in my pocket!! Come and join us in this craziness!!! Your kids are off too! :D:D:D

We went during MLK last year just DH and I and i thought crowds were ok. I think you never know how crowds will be anymore. Go when you can and just plan and enjoy your time there. Most schools in Northern California have Monday off.

Crystal, thanks for the logical approach! I do not think I would regret spending the money, even if it is crazy, because otherwise we probably wouldn’t go again until summer. And I have these flex passes burning a hole in my pocket!! Come and join us in this craziness!!! Your kids are off too! :D:D:D
Haha! I would LOVE to join you guys Michelle but don't know if we could swing it! It would be difficult right after Xmas! I say, make the most of your passes and go! Then you can say you were there opening weekend of Rise against the Resistance! ;)

Thanks to all of you who offered supportive comments for our crazy weekend! I have a little hope because as of now almost all room types are still available at all 3 onsite hotels AT sale prices (AP and regular sale prices). I know a lot of the crowds will be locals, but at least maybe it won’t be a large local crowd and an enormous touring crowd at the same time like it was over our Halloween time visit when all 3 hotels were completely sold out!

Last edited:
... I know a lot the crowds will be locals, but at least maybe it won’t be a large local crowd and an enormous touring crowd at the same time like it was over our Halloween time visit when all 3 hotels were completely sold out!
Having a large local/DLR veteran crowd can make a big difference vs. a large crowd of newcomers (like your Halloween Time visit). When the parks are crowded with guests who know the parks well and know the ropes, things can still move fairly smoothly. It gets much harder when the parks are crowded with guests who have no idea where anything is, how anything works, and stall in the walkways trying to discuss/argue with each other about where to go/what to do/ how to do it/ etc. When most of the crowds know how to get FPs, know how to scan in at the return lines, know where the restrooms are, know where to get food/when/how to use Mobile Ordering, etc., you don't feel the burden of the crowds as much. So, let's hope your theory holds and that most of the crowd is caught up in the line for ROTR -- and that you have a great trip!

Thanks to all of you who offered supportive comments for our crazy weekend! I have a little hope because as of now almost all room types are still available at all 3 onsite hotels AT sale prices (AP and regular sale prices). I know a lot of the crowds will be locals, but at least maybe it won’t be a large local crowd and an enormous touring crowd at the same time like it was over our Halloween time visit when all 3 hotels were completely sold out!

All schools in San Diego county are off for MLK Day. It’s also a federal holiday. It’s going to be busy but it can’t be as bad as Columbus Day and hopefully everyone is in Galaxy's Edge!!!! Columbus Day had a ton of locals and tourists. You’ll have a great trip since you know how to plan!!!!!

Dr King’s birthday is a state holiday, so all the public schools are closed and many of the private schools are closed as well.

NAMM Show is also that weekend.
This might not have a direct impact on the parks, but will increase demand for hotel rooms.

NAMM Show is also that weekend.
This might not have a direct impact on the parks, but will increase demand for hotel rooms.
Interestingly almost all room types at both GCH and DLH are able to be booked for that weekend, and all with the 25% off AP rate and the general public offer rate. So maybe the NAMM people are staying offsite? Again, I am comparing this to the weekend we went in October (weekend after Columbus Day), where all the onsite (and offsite) hotels were booked months in advance (for a produce convention, among other things). I am just hoping it is not horrible. I realize there will be tons of locals, especially with all the schools looking like they are out Monday. We will only go for a few hours Monday if at all since we have to fly home that day. If it is a 3 day weekend, I wonder which day most locals shoot for as their park day (I can’t imagine they would go all 3 days, but maybe I underestimate the enthusiasm of the local AP holder!)?

Last edited:
Interestingly almost all room types at both GCH and DLH are able to be booked for that weekend, and all with the 25% off AP rate and the general public offer rate. So maybe the NAMM people are staying offsite?...
NAMM has convention rates at most hotels around the resort (including DLH and PPH, but not GCH), however many attendees want to be close to the convention center.
There are many live music performances in and around the convention center.

NAMM has convention rates at most hotels around the resort (including DLH and PPH, but not GCH), however many attendees want to be close to the convention center.
There are many live music performances in and around the convention center.
Looks like a fun convention!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter