Mobility Scooter Rental or Power Chair Rental ?

As it turns out after lots of research and feedback we purchased two new wide brimming sun hats for both my parents online for $10 each as a back up system to the sun shade canopy. After calling scooter rental company back again to ask more questions they said at any time we would like to swap or remove the sun canopy, or downsize the scooter its no problem. I'm glad they offer in person delivery and including driver training. My Mom especially is uncomfortable, it's her first time on a scooter. The company re-assured us that they will spend as much time as she needs training, and asking questions until till she is confortable using it. If she's not confortable and decides not to use the scooter they will refund her 100% and deliver a wheelchair. So hopefully we are covered either way now.

1. Rent them scooters, as they have more experience with the scooters at the stores and the majority of rental scooters are 3 whelled, like the store scooters. My rental company that I use (Buena Vista) used to rent powerchairs, but they were the front wheel drive type (big wheels in the front, little casters in the back) and for someone who never drove a powerchair before, it was hard to use compared to a rear wheel drive powerchair (casters in the front, big wheels in the back, sorta like a manual wheelchair) or a midwheel drive chair (Big wheels in the middle and casters in the front and back. I have this kind of powerchair at home.)

Another thing is, not many rental companies rent out powerchairs mainly for these reasons. They don’t want inexperienced people driving these and potentially injuring other people and not many people rent them for the week. So it’s better to rent a scooter.

2. Rent from an outside company. The company I use, Buena Vista Scooters, has a wide variety of scooters and other equipment at reasonable prices. If you rent from the parks, it’s more expensive and you run the risk of them running out of scooters before you get to the rental station.

3. It’s extremely easy to get the scooter to and from the parks. All of the buses are handicap accessible. (although if both of the designated scooter areas are taken, you’ll have to wait for another one.) If you’re staying at the Wilderness Lodge, the BIG boat from there to MK is the only accessible boat. (The smaller boats can’t accommodate a scooter because they’re much smaller and there’s a step down just to get into the boat.) However, if you’re staying at an EPCOT hotel, all of those boats are accessible. The monorails can accommodate a scooter too.

4. No, those tiny boats can’t fit a scooter because of the size and the step down.

5. Get a misting fan. I would’ recommend a scooter canopy because they can easily be broken. And also, during fireworks, if you’re parked in front of someone they’ll say “Can you take that canopy off so I can see the fireworks?” really rudely.

1. Rent them scooters, as they have more experience with the scooters at the stores and the majority of rental scooters are 3 whelled, like the store scooters. My rental company that I use (Buena Vista) used to rent powerchairs, but they were the front wheel drive type (big wheels in the front, little casters in the back) and for someone who never drove a powerchair before, it was hard to use compared to a rear wheel drive powerchair (casters in the front, big wheels in the back, sorta like a manual wheelchair) or a midwheel drive chair (Big wheels in the middle and casters in the front and back. I have this kind of powerchair at home.)

Another thing is, not many rental companies rent out powerchairs mainly for these reasons. They don’t want inexperienced people driving these and potentially injuring other people and not many people rent them for the week. So it’s better to rent a scooter.

2. Rent from an outside company. The company I use, Buena Vista Scooters, has a wide variety of scooters and other equipment at reasonable prices. If you rent from the parks, it’s more expensive and you run the risk of them running out of scooters before you get to the rental station.

3. It’s extremely easy to get the scooter to and from the parks. All of the buses are handicap accessible. (although if both of the designated scooter areas are taken, you’ll have to wait for another one.) If you’re staying at the Wilderness Lodge, the BIG boat from there to MK is the only accessible boat. (The smaller boats can’t accommodate a scooter because they’re much smaller and there’s a step down just to get into the boat.) However, if you’re staying at an EPCOT hotel, all of those boats are accessible. The monorails can accommodate a scooter too.

4. No, those tiny boats can’t fit a scooter because of the size and the step down.

5. Get a misting fan. I would’ recommend a scooter canopy because they can easily be broken. And also, during fireworks, if you’re parked in front of someone they’ll say “Can you take that canopy off so I can see the fireworks?” really rudely.

Thanks for the feedback. We finished our 14 day trip, and we learned a lot about mobility scooters. My Mom and Dad rented 2 scooters both with the sun canopy attachment. The sun canopy's on the scooters we rented from the company we used ( Gold Mobility Scooters ) worked great. We chose the sun canopy as our free accessories. This sun canopy had a larger top, but they were open around all the sides. With over 2 weeks with Mom and Dad both on the scooters running non stop we had no problems or complaints from people around us. They provided far better shade from the sun than we expected. This type of sun canopy was nothing like any of the one ones we saw in the park on other scooters. They fit threw the room doors easily, and in all the shops with no problem. We did have to wait for the larger boat a couple times that allowed scooters, but the wait wasn't bad. Sometimes we caught it just right, and we were able to board instantly. The boats alternate. The scooter we rented had a nice fan built in that worked really good. Between the combination of the sun canopy, and the fan it was very comfortable during the day for them. My Dad also brought a wide brim hat, but didn't end up needing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter