Modify existing reservation to use newly transfered points??

Unclelude

Mouseketeer
Scenario:
2 contracts Sept and October UY, different resorts.

Booked a 40 pt stay in September using October contract. Using 11 month window.

Can I transfer 40 pts from my September contract to my October contract, and swap the transfered points into the reservation ( either online, or with MS ).

On paper I think it should work? ... The only reason I want to do it is cancellation risk of the original booking.

Thanks!

You state they are different resorts so that would not work with a booking made at 11 months. Circumventing the home resort priority. If the home resort were the same then yes.

As noted, since you booked using home resort priority, you can not swap..

But, at 7 months, if it’s still available you can certainly transfer them and then replace.

Sorry, what is the cancellation risk?
If you’ve used home resort priority to make a reservation (11-7+ months) you cannot modify & replace your original booking w/ points you own at another resort at 7 months. You must cancel the original 11- 7+ month booking & a make a new 7 month booking if you want to use your non home resort points. The risk is that if there’s a wait list for the villa being canceled it may go to the waitlist & you won’t have the chance to rebook it. Or, even if the waitlist doesn’t grab it, in the time it takes to cancel & try to rebook someone else may grab the villa just freed up before you can rebook it.
OP has 2 memberships, but it doesn’t matter whether they transfer the points before trying to cancel/rebook or they cancel the reservation in the first membership & try to rebook it w/ the second membership, they can’t use non home resort points to replace/modify a reservation they used home resort priority to get, they have to cancel/rebook & risk losing the reservation.

Last edited:
If you’ve used home resort priority to make a reservation (11-7+ months) you cannot modify & replace your original booking w/ points you own at another resort at 7 months. You must cancel the original 11- 7+ month booking & a make a new 7 month booking if you want to use your non home resort points. The risk is that if there’s a wait list for the villa being canceled it may go to the waitlist & you won’t have the chance to rebook it. Or, even if the waitlist doesn’t grab it, in the time it takes to cancel & try to rebook someone else may grab the villa just freed up before you can rebook it.
OP has 2 memberships, but it doesn’t matter whether they transfer the points before trying to cancel/rebook or they cancel the reservation in the first membership & try to rebook it w/ the second membership, they can’t use non home resort points to replace/modify a reservation they used home resort priority to get, they have to cancel/rebook & risk losing the reservation.
That, plus I have a reservation in September with an October use year...

Sorry, what is the cancellation risk?
Cancelling after your banking window has passed. For a Sep 2024 trip reserved with Oct 2023 use year points, you have the risk that something may happen to require you to cancel the trip. If, for example, you have to cancel in July 2024, the current use year points coming out of the reservation cannot be banked, because the banking deadline of May 31, 2024 will have past, and thus the points will have be used by the end of Sep 2024, which may not be possible.

If, at 11 (or 7) months out, you booked a Sep 2024 trip using Sep 2024 points, and have to cancel in July 2024, all those points go back into the Sep 2024 use year and thus you can still use them throughout the Sep 2024 use year or bank them into the Sep 2025 use year.

FWIW I was able to cancel the stay (Oct UY contract ) and immediately rebook using the Sept. UY contract...

Maybe I got lucky. But I feel way better since this trip isn't really set in stone.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter